Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 01:09 PM

9 posts, read 32,754 times

Advertisements

We are an interracial couple who has visited Jasper, Al. Twice in the last two years. We have friends who live near Lewis Smith Lake, and when we visited them we found that we kind of fell in love with the idea of possibly living in the area (more specifically on the lake). Our question is " How would we fair as an interracial couple in Walker and surrounding counties and townships"? Is there racial diversity and acceptance in this part of Alabama? Anybody selling one of those beautiful lake homes cheap? Lol......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 04:41 PM

247 posts, read 1,115,145 times
The area around Lewis Smith Lake is the whitest area in Alabama. Maybe the southeast. Parts of the lake are in Winston and Cullman counties. Both were sundown counties until just a couple of decades ago. The best place for diversity in Alabama is on Birmingham's southside. But it's in the city and not on a lake.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:05 PM

138 posts, read 254,324 times
I'm from Jasper originally, and Winston County and Cullman County are definitely predominately white. Very, very, very few black people in those counties. Walker County, which is where Jasper is, has more black people. There aren't many black people in the northern part of Walker County near the lake. There are more blacks in Jasper and in the southern part of the county. A lot of people from Jasper have houses on the lake, but there are also a whole lot of people from all over the state and even out of state who have houses there. If you live on the lake, especially the Walker County side, you probably wouldn't face any discrimination. At least I wouldn't think so. I'm young though, so I might have a different viewpoint than some of the older people.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:25 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,122,405 times
I live on the backside of the backwaters of Smith Lake. I'm in a town of about 400. We have a post office and a general store and now are the proud new owners of a dollar general :-). I don't know about on the lake proper but where I am, I doubt you would have much of a problem if any at all.
I see mixed couples in a lot of places these days and for the most part it doesn't seem to present a problem that I'm aware of.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:16 PM

109 posts, read 365,171 times
I rented a place on the lake, you may have issues as I was casually told about a klan meeting by a man at the store whom I was chatting to. This was 8 or so years ago though, things may have changed.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:29 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
I don't think you will have any problems. I live in an area where until a few years you never saw mixed couples, now it is not that uncommon. There may be a few really olde timers who stare but most folks don't give it a second thought.

No one is going to bother you or your wife. Will everyone come over and welcome you to the neighborhood, probably not but it may not be for the reason you think.. they just aren't friendly.

We had a poster a while back in a mixed marriage who posted he has never encountered any problems as a black man. He went to restaurants in Cullman with his wife who was white, where he was told he wouldn't be served, which turned out to be not true in fact everyone was very friendly.

Last edited by Keeper; 09-27-2010 at 08:46 AM..

Old 09-27-2010, 10:59 PM

Thumbs up Thanks 4 the replies

Thanks to all that replied to my question. It sounds like it may be a mostly positive experience. I know that there are some people who are "stuck in the past" anywhere you go in our country, but they are slowly ebbing away. Making a move today, with the economy the way it is, and trying to sell one's present home is almost impossible. For this, and a hundred other reasons, a move to Smith Lake may not happen for us, but "the dream", especially for the wife is alive and well. If we do realize the dream, it's nice to know that we may be able to live there in relative peace. We met a few nice people there on our last visit about three months ago. Hope to get back there soon. Thanks all...............

Old 01-09-2021, 09:16 AM

2 posts, read 4,310 times
I just stumbled on this thread and your post. Did you ever find a home on Smith Lake? If not, did you find a lake home elsewhere in Alabama? My husband and I have been talking about retiring in his home state for three years. He loves fishing and want to be on the lake.

Old 01-10-2021, 12:41 AM

Hi Sandy_Pt23,
Just saw your post to me, 1/10/2021 ... 2:28am...
In answer to your question ... No, we never moved to Smith Lake. In fact, we haven't moved anywhere at all since then! We sort of gave up on that idea. I was surprised to see your post; it's been ten years or so since I posted that lol!!! So long ago in fact that I had to search for my old email address, and get a new password in order to answer you ... Lol!!! No, I'm afraid "that train has left the station". Unless I move to Mexico, or the Dominican Republic, or Costa Rica like I keep telling the wife we should do, I'm pretty much stuck here in Southern Indiana...lol!!! Good luck on your future retirement (Lake) home hunting.

Old 01-15-2021, 05:52 PM

841 posts, read 824,744 times
As a semi-aside, I recently saw in the news that the new Miss Alabama USA is from Cullman County, and she is Black (or mixed ancestry). I was floored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama