Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 03:58 PM

29 posts, read 162,880 times

Advertisements

Hi there!
Since my last post, I have been heavily researching Akron.
(I'm a history buff) The redevelopment and renovations there
seem very exciting! (If you remember, I am currently living south of
Atlanta, Ga. and husband has job offer in Kent.) I am leaning hard
towards relocating to one of Akron's historic neighborhoods such as Highland Square,Firestone Park, Kenmore or Fairlawn. There are many wonderful
homes at very reasonable prices. I have been concerned with rising fuel
costs, and would like to settle in a pedestrian friendly atmosphere. With
this in mind, What level quality of life can I expect for my 3 children ages
15,13 and 9? Are there many venues, businesses, libraries, that are age appropriate? I would like to ensure their safety if they are out and about with/or without me. I really like the idea of being close to college campuses also, as I have homeschooled my children all these years. I'm 39 and plan on going back to school right along with the kids and get reacquainted with the working class.;-)
What are your thoughts on future trends for families making an exodus out of the suburbs and back to the city because of our "cost of fuel" driven economy?
For me personally, I'm feeling it will be very popular, this is why I would like to go ahead and invest now, because if the same thing happens in Akron the way it did in Atlanta, home prices in the city will soar through the ceiling! "I could be wrong, but I don't think so".
If you could, be my "devil's advocate" and tell me all the negatives. (forewarned is forearmed) I could have unrealistically high expectations?? I just don't know, judging from afar.
Thank you! I look forward to your response.
Best regards,
Kristine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2006, 07:13 PM

976 posts, read 3,880,660 times
Yes, you are very right, Akron is going through a construction boom right now. Akron has alot of great suburbs to live in. Some that i will suggest are Fairlawn, Silver Lake, Portage Lakes, Cuyahoga Falls, Tallmadge, Stow, Twin Lakes, and Cottage Grove. Its amazing how much cheaper it is to live in Akron than Atlanta. You can get some very nice homes in Akron for a very decent price. You can get some homes that are twice the size in Akron for less than one in Atlanta. Some of those choices that you have Highland Square, Firestone Park, and Kenmore are all great neighborhoods. I think you will have to take a trip to Akron to get a better idea of what there really is and what you like. You get a better visual that way. Like i said there are plenty of great suburbs that Akron offers.

One that i may suggest is, Tallmadge. Its not far from Kent if your husband gets his job and it has the Chapel Hill Mall and every chain restaurant you can think of. So if you want a Friday night out on the town you have alot of entertainment. Its also not far from the Cuyahoga Nat'l Park which has alot of bike trails and very nice waterfalls and lakes. And during the winter time there are quite a few ski resorts around Akron too. Geauga Lake which is an awesome theme park is not far. It has some really nice waterparks and alot of rollercoasters. So as far as entertainment goes, you are set.

The quality of life i would say for the most part is great. Esp in the places you are looking at and the places i mentioned. I always like how people keep their yards perfectly cut and trimmed and the people are very friendly. All of the places i mentioned are safe. Really no problems with crime. Dont get me wrong they are not perfect, but some seem close to it.

I do the same thing with the fuel question. I live in Westlake, Ohio which is a suburb of Cleveland. I drive to dowtown Cleveland ever week day. The only problem when its comes to fuel is sitting in traffic. The morning commute can be bad and then at 6 pm rush hour is horrible but, what can you expect in major cities?

Overall, i think Akron is a great metro to live in and it has some really great suburbs. If you need anymore information please feel free to ask.

Old 08-19-2006, 06:35 PM

10 posts, read 49,577 times
Default Akron

I live in Akron and I would stick to the suburbs if I were you. The city has great houses for great prices because the value of the neighborhoods has dropped so much. The crime and drugs in Kenmore for one example is insane. You can find nice neighborhoods, but be careful looking, chances are if it seems like a great deal, it really isn't.

Old 08-19-2006, 09:18 PM

976 posts, read 3,880,660 times
Remember she is coming from Atlanta. Atlanta has horrible crime and a very dirty dowtown. Akron's crime is not near as bad as Atlanta's. Of course Akron is a smaller city. But, Akron's downtown is very clean, city services are out everyday cleaning the streets. Akron has a perfectly clean downtown. Very modern with many technology corps coming in. I would pick Akron over Atlanta anyday.

Old 08-20-2006, 05:13 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,409,476 times
kanda,
i am visiting highland square this week and it is a real treat to be able to walk around without fear of being mugged, the arts festival was canceled this week due to weather but i enjoyed seeing people out walking around sitting at sidewalk cafe's and i even saw kids going to a saturday matinee in a big old theater with a big old screen.

Old 08-20-2006, 05:18 AM

I Goofed And Hit The Wrong Button And Posted Before I Was Done!!!!
But I Drove Around All Of The Houses And I Saw Kids Playing People Out Walking Their Dogs. I Thought This WAS To Good To Be True So I Returned Around 830 Pm And I Saw WomEn Alone Walking Their Dogs At Night! This Seems So Strange, For Nowdays It Seems Everyone Lives In Fear. So All In All I Was ImpresseD With How The Square Has Kept Its Old Time Charm....

Old 08-21-2006, 09:06 AM

Hi there guys!
Tim, thanks for reporting back to me on your recent visit. (I'm so jelous!!) You have reinforced my choice and I feel more confident. Sometimes I fall into self-doubt about the direction I am trying to go. Btw, could you tell me anything about Ameilia Ave? There is a great, large, brick, tudor-style home on that street listing @ 119,000.00. It is around the corner from Marvin, Ave.
I have been looking at so many city maps, I know I can easily find my way around without having been there.;-)
In the meantime, still trying to sell this white elephant here in Ga.
I am very discouraged. I want out of Ga. in the worst way. Have y'all seen the news? Atlanta's former illustrious (ha,Ha) mayor, Bill Campbell starts his prison sentence today. The housing market here is ridiculous. For the same money; in Akron you get a lovely historic home, and wonderful downtown amenities. Compared with Ga., you get a trailer on 2 acres out in hooterville with no opportunities surrounded by ignorance.
Anyone know any philanthrapists to get me out of this mess(LOL)

Old 08-23-2006, 02:48 AM

kanda,
i listen to neal boortz just about everyday on the internet, so i have heard a lot about your mayor and ole cindy mckinney. boortz is about the funniest talk radio show ive ever heard he says what i think!!!

Old 08-23-2006, 09:50 AM

Yes; Our Neal is a funny guy!
I used to listen to him every morning in the car. I should tune in more at home.....I'm adding that to the list right now! Thanks for the reminder!
I have a long list of "used to's" I'm reclaiming.

Old 08-23-2006, 09:59 AM

Oh yeah!! Boy did I revel in Cynthia Mckinney's loss. That kind of entertainment can not be bought at any price!!
Her manager blamed her loss on the whites,
Her father blamed the Jews.
She blamed her loss on defective voting machines. She actually thinks her
election was stolen!! (LOL) Good riddance! It's about time someone took out the trash!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton