Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2011, 04:26 PM

2 posts, read 10,524 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I'm graduating from law school in May and will be moving to the area to start work at a firm in North Canton. I am flexible on where I live and would like to find a place with other young people that is within a 30 minute drive of North Canton. I've been looking online at Cuyahoga Falls, Merriman Valley, Highland Square, Portage Lakes. What are your thoughts on those areas? Or am I looking in the wrong places?

I would like an area with a social scene that isn't crawling with undergrads but still has good bars/restaurants. Any help you could give me would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 04:40 PM

28 posts, read 34,093 times
That's pretty tough considering that area you're looking in. If you have to live there, there are a few options.

Kent might be a good fit for you. Home of Kent State University, it has a good amount of nightlife, restaurants, and bars (relative to Ohio, that is). But then again, it is a college town full of college students. It would be about a 30 minute commute for you.

Louisville is a decent sized town located southeast of Canton. Has an okay sized downtown. But then again, there isn't really any night life in this area of Ohio except for downtown Akron/Canton. Good shopping and stuff like that.

Hudson is a good place. It's not the biggest town, but it has has some nice restaurants and homes. Not exactly full of nightlife, though, but great school system.

Cuyahoga Falls may work, but it can be rough in spots. I wouldn't exactly call it a place with nightlife but it is the most urban of all of the cities you listed.

Fairlawn may also be a good match. It is located 12 minutes from downtown Akron and has some nice neighborhoods.

Cleveland, overall, has a much better array of suburbs.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:45 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,257,090 times
Yeah, Cleveland would be a much better bet if you got a job up there. To be honest, Canton and the areas around it aren't really good for a good social scene and young professionals. I'm not saying there aren't any, but Canton and such is just becoming a place where a lot of young people move out of once they finish college or whatever. It's a shame really.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:10 PM

2 posts, read 10,524 times
Great, thanks for the advice.

Any thoughts on living in "the valley" as one of my friends called it?

Old 01-10-2011, 11:56 AM

5 posts, read 15,830 times
The valley used to be hopping with young professionals but I am not familiar now. Try it as there are many rentals down there. It would be a commute esp. in the winter. Portage lakes may be good for you. Renting first is always a good idea. There are a few young grads (engineers)living in an apartment complex right off the Miller Ridgewood Rd exit in fairlawn. Perfect to hop on the expressway to go to Canton. With a popular wine bar just down the street, you may like it. I'll ask the guys and I know a few young cute college girls and will ask them and get back to you.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:26 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,210,712 times
Probably Highland Square or the Valley are your best bets. Highland Square is more artsy, urban, and pedestrian friendly. The Valley is more suburban, with a bunch of apartment complexes and bars in strip malls.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:44 AM

1 posts, read 4,889 times
Default Lakefront Home Portage Lakes

Hello:
I just came across your request for information on moving to the Akron/Canton area. We have a lakefront on home on Portage Lakes we will be renting soon. The other renters lease is up June 1st and will go month to month. They are rebuilding a home from a fire. The rent is $1600. for a 3 bed 2 bath and if you would be interested I can send you more information. It is a great area to live. Thanks

Old 04-24-2011, 10:48 AM

780 posts, read 1,576,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukies2003 View Post
Great, thanks for the advice.

Any thoughts on living in "the valley" as one of my friends called it?
LOL - too bad I didn't see this earlier, as I've worked in the Valley for 12 years and live in the NC area. If the OP is still interested in some info, let me know.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:57 PM

3 posts, read 7,389 times
Default Green

You sound just like my husband a few years ago! He works in Beechwood, and originally looked in many of the cities your mentioned, but ended up in Green, which is very close to North Canton. In fact, since Green only has post office boxes, our address is in North Canton. You can get a lot more house in Green than you can closer to the Cleveland suburbs. And if you don't mind a 30 minute drive to some of the bigger entertainment spots, I'd highly recommend Green.

When my husband was single, he wanted a house close to 77, on a large lot, with hardwood floors, a big deck, an open floor plan for entertaining and a room big enough for his big TV. Our house has all of that. It's a great starter home for a young professional, and wouldn't you know, we just put it for sale :-)

4890 Arlington Rd, North Canton, OH 44720 - MLS ID 3218578 - Single Family Home For Sale | Cutler Real Estate (http://www.cutlerhomes.com/p/259/3218578 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton