Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 02:25 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,474,595 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in knowing if there actually was any semi-standardized officers' and sergeants' military insignia in the Boer forces during the Boer War. Every contemporary photograph I see of Boer kommandos shows simply a group of non-uniformed country guys in rough workman's attire with rifles and bandoleers, which is pretty much how I understand they were equipped and organized.

If there was any distinctive identifier for a veldkornet (even unofficial and unstandardized, perhaps customary and optional), I'm especially interested in that. Any assistance appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 03:16 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,118,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
I'm interested in knowing if there actually was any semi-standardized officers' and sergeants' military insignia in the Boer forces during the Boer War. Every contemporary photograph I see of Boer kommandos shows simply a group of non-uniformed country guys in rough workman's attire with rifles and bandoleers, which is pretty much how I understand they were equipped and organized.

If there was any distinctive identifier for a veldkornet (even unofficial and unstandardized, perhaps customary and optional), I'm especially interested in that. Any assistance appreciated.
The Transvaal Staats Artillere did wear rank insignia, officers wore stars on the collars much like one would find in the Dutch and Belgian armies but I am not sure about the NCOs.

1 small star = 2nd Lt
2 small stars = Lt
3 small stars = Capt
1 large star = Maj
2 large stars = Lt Col
3 large stars = Col
1 larger star on a gold embroidered background = Commandant

Of course the ranks themselves were in Afrikaans and not English but you get the point.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 02-18-2009 at 09:12 PM.. Reason: links to other forums not permitted

Old 02-18-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
The Transvaal Staats Artillere did wear rank insignia, officers wore stars on the collars much like one would find in the Dutch and Belgian armies but I am not sure about the NCOs.

1 small star = 2nd Lt
2 small stars = Lt
3 small stars = Capt
1 large star = Maj
2 large stars = Lt Col
3 large stars = Col
1 larger star on a gold embroidered background = Commandant

Of course the ranks themselves were in Afrikaans and not English but you get the point.
Very interesting. So a veldkornet, or first/senior lieutenant, might have two small collar stars after the pattern of the Dutch army? That makes sense, actually. I should be able to find some pics or representations online. While I doubt I'd create a login at that forum just for a one-timer, if you can provide a link to your post I'd enjoy reading it.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 02-18-2009 at 09:12 PM..

Old 02-18-2009, 03:28 PM

Unfortunately the site where I found the info along with crude period drawings of the actual rank insignia has since expired

The South African military went back to a Dutch style rank insignia system when they became a republic in 1961 after using the British system (actually virtually identical to the British except for the "South Africa" shoulder tab) between independence in 1912 and 1961.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 02-18-2009 at 09:13 PM..

Old 02-18-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately the site where I found the info along with crude period drawings of the actual rank insignia has since expired

The South African military went back to a Dutch style rank insignia system when they became a republic in 1961 after using the British system (actually virtually identical to the British except for the "South Africa" shoulder tab) between independence in 1912 and 1961.
Thanks. My research since indicates that two collar stars is about as likely as one can estimate for the rank of veldkornet, and that'll work for me until I can get a look at more detailed reference materials. They'll turn up eventually.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 02-18-2009 at 09:13 PM..

Old 02-18-2009, 06:14 PM

Pretty much the only source I have is Osprey's MAA 303 Boer Wars 2 1898 - 1902 and even then the uniform details for the Boer forces are very brief and basic. Maybe one day Osprey will do a title on just the Boer forces alone with more updated information since the book was published in 1996.

If you can read Afrikaans I would imagine their is some info on South African military history websites or books if any can be found.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
If you can read Afrikaans I would imagine their is some info on South African military history websites or books if any can be found.
Heh. I can't even read Dutch, let alone Afrikaans, though I do happen to have an Afrikaans/English dictionary (I figured I'd probably never run across one of those again, so like any good language junkie I snagged it).

Old 09-08-2014, 09:45 AM

1 posts, read 2,255 times
Roughly it was like this in the Commandos.

Vaandrig - Ensign - Lt
Kornet - Cornet - Lt
Veld Kornet - Field Cornet - Capt

Kommandant - Commandant - Maj
Veld Kommandant - Field Commandant - Lt Col
Kolonel - Colonel

Here its tricky. There were 2 Boer Republics with diffrent names. But closely resembling this.

Generaal - General
Veg Generaal - Fighting General
Komandant Generaal - Commandant General
Truimvuir - Like a four star General in USA.
Hoof Kommandant - Head Commandant - also four star general

The Burgers (Citizens) were normal fighters as in America its called Privates.
The Burgers did not get any pay. So there was not rules and regulations like in normal armies. Nobody got any pay. Thats reason why there was no standard Rank System.

It must be said that mostly there was only four officers in the Commandos. Commandos was mostly only a few hundred men. So mostly you only heard of a Cornet, Field Cornet, Commandant and General. Commandant was over a Commando and moment when there was more than one Commando, then a General whould take Command.

Written by an Afrikaner.
God Bless America.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:17 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,852,794 times
Good first post Chris.

Saw Breaker Morant years ago and that led to reading much on the 1/2 Boer Wars and earlier history as in the Great Trek.
Recommend any other other works by a junior officer or regular soldier other than Danny Reitz? I mean in English.

JKK:
Use the internet wayback machine at http://archive.org/web/

Old 02-19-2015, 08:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,912 times
Default Insignia

I have this image of a Boer war veteran. i am interested in the meaning of the 2 stars on his insignia.
He shows 3 stripes with a crown above and 2 overlapped ^ pointed stars above the crown. He is a member of the Duke of Lancasters Imperial yeomanry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa