Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 10:43 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,684,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Hidden House Coffee in Lake Forest or San Juan Capistrano.
Thanks, I'll have to check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 08:54 PM

178 posts, read 173,667 times
Ethiopia is a very interesting place. My parents are from there and I spent decades living there. It is very historical and unlike what a previous poster said it is a mainly christian country. But everyone gets along quite well. Best coffee around too.

Old 06-09-2017, 06:13 PM

12 posts, read 11,898 times
What I know about this country ?
capita: Ababa
Official language : Amharic

Old 07-06-2017, 02:02 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,370,159 times
Eritrea supposedly has the worst human rights violations in the world (North Korea is #2).

Old 12-24-2017, 06:34 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Eritrea supposedly has the worst human rights violations in the world (North Korea is #2).
The "North Korea" of Africa! - as they say.

That being said, I'd love to wander around Asmara and Massawa...

Old 12-30-2017, 07:17 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,206,629 times
I spent three weeks in Ethiopia last year. They are very pleasant and friendly people, but it is still a backward country. Addis Ababa is not much worth seeing from the touristic standpoint, there is barely a building in the city more than 100 years old. Except for the main thoroughfares, there are very few streets that a car can be driven on, even in the heart of the city, people walk from the busy streets over steep ankle-spraining cobblestones to their houses. Outside Addis, I only stayed a week in Dire Dawa (pronounced dray-dwah), since I was on my way to Somaliland. Dire Dawa is a sleepy town that was until recently Ethiopia's second city'. Nothing to see there, either, but don't leave your phone or anything outside your hotel room, the monkeys will come and take it.

That was my first visit back to Africa since the 70s, and I was surprised to see how little things have changed. More cars now, and cell phones are everywhere, but the continent is still in another century. Women in Addis dress beautifully in traditional dresses. Take warm clothes, it is cold in Addis. You'll want a jacket or sweater, even in midday.

I believe the old railway to Djibouti is now running again, I heard when I was there that was making its first runs at the time. It would make an interesting train ride, but Djibouti is not worth going to, it's expensive and not very nice nor interesting.

As I understand it, it is very challenging to get into Eritrea, the only open border is from South Sudan which is difficult enough to get to. Once you enter Eritrea, you can never go back to Ethiopia.

You can get an interesting look at the underbelly of life in Addis, by watching episodes of Ketezegaw Dose on Youtube. It's a well-produced crime reenactment series, very realistic exteriors.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
As I understand it, it is very challenging to get into Eritrea, the only open border is from South Sudan which is difficult enough to get to. Once you enter Eritrea, you can never go back to Ethiopia.
www.flydubai.com has flights from Dubai to Asmara, Eritrea.

But yeah, from Ethiopia, no flights into Eritrea. I was wondering about the visa stamps. That makes sense that Ethiopia would block anyone with an Eritrea stamp from coming in. Unfortunate though, but not uncommon for countries to do that.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:29 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,719,651 times
In all likelihood, Haile Silassie was stranguled to death!

Old 12-30-2017, 11:28 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,071,739 times
Addis Ababa, in 2015 opened the first and only light-rail system in all of sub-saharan Africa.

It's 12 miles (20 KM) long, with 39 stations, and built by a Chinese company. Four additional future lines are planned.

Old 04-02-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I spent three weeks in Ethiopia last year. They are very pleasant and friendly people, but it is still a backward country. Addis Ababa is not much worth seeing from the touristic standpoint, there is barely a building in the city more than 100 years old. Except for the main thoroughfares, there are very few streets that a car can be driven on, even in the heart of the city, people walk from the busy streets over steep ankle-spraining cobblestones to their houses. Outside Addis, I only stayed a week in Dire Dawa (pronounced dray-dwah), since I was on my way to Somaliland. Dire Dawa is a sleepy town that was until recently Ethiopia's second city'. Nothing to see there, either, but don't leave your phone or anything outside your hotel room, the monkeys will come and take it.

That was my first visit back to Africa since the 70s, and I was surprised to see how little things have changed. More cars now, and cell phones are everywhere, but the continent is still in another century. Women in Addis dress beautifully in traditional dresses. Take warm clothes, it is cold in Addis. You'll want a jacket or sweater, even in midday.

I believe the old railway to Djibouti is now running again, I heard when I was there that was making its first runs at the time. It would make an interesting train ride, but Djibouti is not worth going to, it's expensive and not very nice nor interesting.

You can get an interesting look at the underbelly of life in Addis, by watching episodes of Ketezegaw Dose on Youtube. It's a well-produced crime reenactment series, very realistic exteriors.
Nice! I was there again in 2017 as well. Yep, pretty similar to my experiences with Addis Ababa. I really think they have a rich culture, fascinating people, and so much to offer...

BUT....the city. Even with the new metro line...it is more of a commuter line, that just spreads things out further. The city isn't pleasurable to walk around, as just too many sidewalks that aren't so functional, and very few streetlights at night. It has a good future, but I"m routinely surprised it just isn't there yet.

With Ethiopian Airlines, the Metro in the city....you'd think it would catch up with streetlights and decent sidewalks, but they are still largely absent.

That being said, culturally, there is something fascinating about the city, and once some of these things are fixed, I could see it become a very interesting place. BOLE for one, this has so many people walking around at night, but so few streetlights or walkable sidewalks. You'd think that all the money that area attracts, they'd somehow put it back into that community, so they could make more money out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa