Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 02:23 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,555,033 times

Advertisements

Were the Europeans simply not interested, or did they try and fail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 02:38 PM

14 posts, read 34,348 times
Didn't Italy poke its head into Ethiopia's business for a little bit? I don't think they would have gotten far in the first place. Italy had a barely above replacement birth rate when they finally decided to colonize anything so i don't think they would have gotten far.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:54 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,252,026 times
Going on memory here, but wasn't Ethiopia reletively strong in the late 1800's, and I seem to remember they were friends with Russia at the time and Russia supplied them arms.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:12 PM

689 posts, read 2,162,177 times
Largely, due to the fact that Ethiopia was a predominantly Christian nation, and in fact to this day, Ethiopia has been continuously predominantly Christian longer than any other country in the world. Since colonialism was primarily an exercise in Christian Superiority, a great deal of the enthusiasm to convert/murder/enslave the heathens was obviated.

For different reasons, Madagascar wasn't colonized until the 1890s, and even then the French used allegations of a treaty violation to justify their colonial invasion.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:04 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,023,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
Did you google?
History of Ethiopia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-07-2012, 05:23 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,206,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
Italy was definitely there. Asmara, Eritrea was built almost entirely by the Italians, and built in their style of colonial architecture at the time as well.

I'm not sure the history of Eritrea vs Ethiopia, but I'd imagine it had something to do with Italy building that city, and people later dividing into two countries, possibly for some related reasons.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:04 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,070,033 times
First, while Ethiopia is one of the oldest Christian countries in the world its territories were much larger than current date. It had its own dynasty that can be traced back to King Solomon. Ethiopia, was not known to be a poor country by any means back in history (there is also a long history between Ethiopians, Jews, Indians, Chinese, and the French as well as Armenia (etc), a lot of Armenians left their country for Ethiopia).

In the battle of Adawa, the Italians attempted to counquer Ethiopia and were unsuccessful. So there was European interest there but the Italians were defeated by Ethiopians who were not equiped at the time with technology such as guns. They were still fighting with bow and arrows, the Russians had little to do with the Ethiopian victory. The Russian guns were more instrumental in overthrowing the King H.I.M. which was in the 70's.

Mussolini also made an attempt at overthrowing Ethiopia and was also unsuccessful. Ethiopia could not be conqured and credit should be given to the Ethiopians. Ethiopians are highly educated people, are familiar with their own terrain (mountains), and the climate so I believe those were the major contributing factors in the country's victories.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:12 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,295,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Italy was definitely there. Asmara, Eritrea was built almost entirely by the Italians, and built in their style of colonial architecture at the time as well.

I'm not sure the history of Eritrea vs Ethiopia, but I'd imagine it had something to do with Italy building that city, and people later dividing into two countries, possibly for some related reasons.
Eritrea was an independent country/colony of Italy that after the end of WWII was thrown into a "protectorate" of Ethiopia as a short term thing. When the Eritreans wanted their country back, Ethiopia didn't want to part with access to an ocean, and there was a resultant war for 30+ years.

Currently there is a state of high tension truce, and Eritrea is independent.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:33 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,070,033 times
Mikeyyc, that is not an accurate account of Eriteria and Ethiopian history. Eritrian and Ethiopian tensions go WAY back and basically to Ethiopians, Eriterians were traitors plan and simple. Eriteria was given its indepence very recently by Ethiopia. The remaining issues still have to do with the ports, poverty, and old ethnic issues. But the place was built by the Italians, and there is no doubt about that.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:26 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,295,494 times
I've been. There's no doubting who built the city, or the road to Massawa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa