Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 08:31 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,489,117 times

Advertisements

When my daughter was 3, we started explaining how different families worked. Some kids were adopted. Some had a mommy and a daddy at home. Some had a mommy in one house and a daddy in another house. Some had two mommies or two daddies. In some, the kid lived with grandparents, or with mommy and grandparents.

She understood.

Your daughter is old enough for the conversation about different families, and to understand that all types families are important and special. Then you can segue into what type of family she has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 05:53 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,305,210 times
My daughter is 6 and we adopted her; so I have lots of experience with this age group and their level of understanding on how they process adoption. I don't think you need to drop this huge adoption bomb on her first of all. Just a little information at a time. There are lots of children's books talking about adoption. Look around online and find one that might appeal to her; my daughter loves "Tell Me Again About the Night I Was Born". With my daughter, we never had a big sit down discussion "you were adopted" talk. Instead, we read books for example. And adoption will come up in the book. And I'll say, "oh that is just like our family! you grew in your birthmother's belly too". "Or say wow, that girl was adopted just like you". Or something short and innocent like that. And then you say NOTHING else. You let her lead. She doesn't need to know yet who her birthmother is if she's not in constant contact with her. If she asks, tell her. But don't offer more information than she can process. Short, age appropriate conversations. She's young enough that she may not have considered that she grew in your wife's belly, so this might be easier than you think. Fyi, I have some very good friends who adopted their grandson. They are mom and dad and his sister is his birthmother. He was told around age 5 or 6; and in the same manner I used with my daughter. It has been an absolute non-issue for him at this point. He's not confused, he understands he was adopted and he's 9 now and an great kid. Just a matter of fact conversation. No need to get all emotional about it; she'll take her cues from you so practice it. I would practice when my daughter was a newborn. I know you don't have that time but practice it enough so it feels natural however you choose to say it. My husband and I will bring it up monthly or so, but my daughter's adoption is transracial so it was something that requires extra attention and conversation. Good luck.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:55 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,305,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiebuttercup View Post
When my daughter was 3, we started explaining how different families worked. Some kids were adopted. Some had a mommy and a daddy at home. Some had a mommy in one house and a daddy in another house. Some had two mommies or two daddies. In some, the kid lived with grandparents, or with mommy and grandparents.

She understood.

Your daughter is old enough for the conversation about different families, and to understand that all types families are important and special. Then you can segue into what type of family she has.
Good post. I rambled too much but this is great and often a topic of conversation about different families in our house. Its a good way to break into it.

Old 07-16-2016, 10:51 AM

9 posts, read 8,512 times
I was convinced during my early life that I was adopted. People would see me (red hair, blue eyes) with my mom (black hair, brown eyes) and say, "Oh, is she adopted?" So I became convinced I was. It did not help that there were no pictures of my mother pregnant. The fact that my dad was a red head with blue eyes did not seem to enter into my understanding.

That said, let her know how much she means to you, and how happy the day was that she came to live with you. (I hope you are happy about it. Many grandparents are not, and do not mince words talking about it in front of the child). She will eventually as who her mother is, and then you can tell her. Make sure she knows, and sees, how much she means to you.

One of my best friends who had never been able to become pregnant adopted her daughter at 18 months from a drug-addicted, abusive teenage relative. The little girl knew, from casual conversation, that her birth parent could not take care of her, and that her adoptive parents were thrilled when she came to live with them. That was the best, most natural way I have ever personally seen it done. Later on, she may want to talk with a counselor, but you can deal with that when it is needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption