Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 06:14 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times

Advertisements

Some facts that may or may not help you:
When threads are "closed", users can still read them. When threads are "deleted" users can not read them, they can not see them, it is as if they no longer exist. Threads are usually not deleted, they are usually closed. If you want to reply to a closed thread, just reference it, include the URL or quote, copy and paste the post into another thread. There are a variety of methods.

I've seen recent recommendations that threads not be allowed to remain from anywhere from 3 months to 2 years. It's not a simple issue. Some old threads are still valuable.

Moderators and merge (combine) threads as needed.

Every post in every thread has a date. If you are worried about replying to an old post then look at the date before you reply....

And lastly, if I recall correctly, the Administrator does not want threads closed....
Rich

Old 03-11-2010, 06:32 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
I'm not for closing them, they can still provide a lot of useful info.
But it would be nice to have some way to make really old threads stand out in some way.
There are an awful lot of people that unknowingly respond to threads that are outdated. Easy to say "just look at the date" but a lot of people don't think to do that before they hit that reply button, especially if they are coming from other forums where old threads don't linger like they do here.

Prime example of a response made today giving advice to the OP's three year old question. https://www.city-data.com/forum/paren...king-back.html

Old 03-11-2010, 07:20 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
But it would be nice to have some way to make really old threads stand out in some way.
The board already has that feature. If a thread hasn't received a reply in 30 days, it gets this icon next to it in the thread list. If an old thread is revived with a new reply, that clock icon stays with it for a period of time... which I think is 24 hours. If you see a thread with that icon next to it on the front page of a forum, that should be your signal that the original post is "old."

Old 03-11-2010, 08:01 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyandScary View Post
I just think a lot of members get frustrated when say the OP posts a problem and citydata members respond, not realizing the thread is in fact 3 years old
I guess situations may be different depending on where you live.

Here in northern Virginia, we have the opposite frustration. New members tend to ask the same questions and face the same situations over and over and over. They even ask about the exact same apartment complexes. Even though we're happy to answer questions, it can drive you up the wall when you go to great lengths to write a detailed explanation and then a month later someone asks the exact same question again. Reviving an "old" question is an easy solution. Even if the original poster solved the problem a year before we just figure a hundred other people are moving in who have the same question.

On our forum, the frustrating thing is how many people assume they're asking a question that's never been asked before. You try to suggest they use the search engine but apparently few want to do that. So when we see a question being asked for the umpteenth time it's easier to just bump an old thread that already discussed it in detail.

Last edited by normie; 03-11-2010 at 08:12 AM..

Old 03-11-2010, 08:07 AM

Two other unexpected benefits from reviving old threads:

1. When we went through our infamous blizzard, everyone was stuck at home with nothing to do but post on city-data. We were so sick of hearing about the blizzard 24-7 on tv, yet couldn't think of anything else to talk about. The solution? We bumped a bunch of old threads. Anything entertaining from years before. And it was especially pleasant to bump threads that had photos from springtime.

2. When you bump an old thread, apparently city-data contacts the OP and lets them know he's received a response to his thread. We've had a few posters return to our forum to check out this notification. It's so great to hear from them again, and some of them end up sticking around and becoming regular posters. I also enjoy hearing from the OPs who tell us how the original question in the thread got resolved.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
The board already has that feature. If a thread hasn't received a reply in 30 days, it gets this icon next to it in the thread list. If an old thread is revived with a new reply, that clock icon stays with it for a period of time... which I think is 24 hours. If you see a thread with that icon next to it on the front page of a forum, that should be your signal that the original post is "old."
Sounds like the solution is to alter the clock icon so it stays on permanently. That way, people who hate old threads can avoid them.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
2. When you bump an old thread, apparently city-data contacts the OP and lets them know he's received a response to his thread.
1. Bumping threads is not allowed. It is stated in the Terms of Service.

2. Anyone can subscribe to a thread and can elect to be notified by e-mail when a new post is made in that thread. You will not get any additional future notices until you go back and visit that thread.

Rich

Old 03-11-2010, 08:30 AM

8,954 posts, read 4,271,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
1. Bumping threads is not allowed. It is stated in the Terms of Service.
Actually, it's only bumping your own threads to keep them up on the page, Rich. The kind of bumping normie is talking about is a cool idea.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:51 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Learned something new, thx. I just thought that was some quirky little icon the OP pasted on the thread, like the smilies or the thumbs up icons. Didn't realize things in that column could be done by anyone other than the OP.
Don't suppose that info could be added to the bottom of the page with the icons explaining "thread status" (hot, locked, new posts, etc)?

Old 03-11-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markablue View Post
Actually, it's only bumping your own threads to keep them up on the page, Rich. The kind of bumping normie is talking about is a cool idea.
I stand corrected...

I knew that. I claim the IDNHMFROCR rule

Spoiler
(I did not have my full ration of coffee)

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum