Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2009, 09:54 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,683,094 times

Advertisements

do people who incessantly post duplicate threads face any consequences? i'm not talking about the occasional mistake, but about people (mostly in the political board) who post duplicate and redundant threads pretty much every day when the thread they're duplicating is still on the front page, let alone findable with a search.

do they ever get a warning or anything like that, or are the threads just dealt with on an individual basis? it seems to me that a small number of repeat offenders make an awful lot of work for the mods when they could just do a search or even a ctrl-f on the front page and save everyone some time. it seems like very inconsiderate behavior to me.

when i see a duplicate thread by someone i recognize as a serial dupe-poster, i try to point that out when i report it. i'm wondering if i should be bothering.

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 09:55 AM

8,954 posts, read 4,273,395 times
If it's consistent and deliberate, yes, there are consequences for cross-posting. If these are mistakes, there are none.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:01 AM

i don't mean cross posting (posting the same thread multiple times in different forums) as much as making a new thread about a subject that is already covered in another thread. or is that what you mean by cross posting?

i doubt anyone intentionally makes new threads that duplicate other people's already posted threads, but there's a point where some people obviously never do even the most rudimentary check (scanning the existing thread titles) before posting. and there are also people who seem to think that every new article about or development in a story needs a new thread. it seems like carelessness like that shouldn't be encouraged. for example, i've seen people post an identical thread - same title and everything, taken from a headline - just a few posts up from someone else's thread on the same subject.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:17 AM

8,954 posts, read 4,273,395 times
In such cases a thread may be merged with the existing one or deleted if there aren't too many responses but no, there is no punishment. Again, unless this is clearly intentional. And yes, it does happen, although it's pretty rare, coming from trolls.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:33 AM

ok, i won't bother pointing out serial duplicate thread-makers anymore then, unless it's obvious that they're doing it intentionally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum