Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 09:57 PM

989 posts, read 2,763,935 times

Advertisements

Have the powers that be ever considered institutuing a policy on restricting posts, similar to the way they restrict reps?

By that I mean that since most people found this forum to learn about cities, would it be possible to set a policy that you have to have something like 2-5% of your posts have to be in the city forums?

It also might not hurt to put a restriction on the repping itself... meaning that you have to spread the rep equally between city and general forums, cannot put more than 75% of your rep in any one category (like political, my personal favorite).

Just a thought, because I've seen quite a few posts by Sr Mods & Admin talking about rep-abuse ('rep fueling station', etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 10:58 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,916,108 times
Isn’t part of the reason for coming to C-D is to find answers to questions not only about a state or city, but of topics are outside that category? Interesting health issues, political, photo, hobbies, general talk, etc. ?

The other non-state/city topics keep people coming back to enjoy the website and they promote higher site hits for the advertisers, ads by google.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:13 PM

989 posts, read 2,763,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Isn’t part of the reason for coming to C-D is to find answers to questions not only about a state or city, but of topics are outside that category? Interesting health issues, political, photo, hobbies, general talk, etc. ?

The other non-state/city topics keep people coming back to enjoy the website and they promote higher site hits for the advertisers, ads by google.
True, but I was only thinking about a 1 in 50 kind of rule or something.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:37 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,778,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlevo View Post
Have the powers that be ever considered institutuing a policy on restricting posts, similar to the way they restrict reps?

By that I mean that since most people found this forum to learn about cities, would it be possible to set a policy that you have to have something like 2-5% of your posts have to be in the city forums?

It also might not hurt to put a restriction on the repping itself... meaning that you have to spread the rep equally between city and general forums, cannot put more than 75% of your rep in any one category (like political, my personal favorite).

Just a thought, because I've seen quite a few posts by Sr Mods & Admin talking about rep-abuse ('rep fueling station', etc).
I wouldn't be in favour of this. I think it would promote meaningless and nonsensical posts where folks are trying to get serious information.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:36 AM

8,954 posts, read 4,275,519 times
We are planning to do something similar to what you're proposing about the rep points. I mean for the system to note the difference which ones were gained from the state forums and which earned by taking part in games and generally given out of love for each other.

We are not, however, going to limit where and what our members can post. Nope, not gonna happen, no way. http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x65/markablue/33.gif (broken link) Sorry.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:01 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,208,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markablue View Post
We are not, however, going to limit where and what our members can post. Nope, not gonna happen, no way. http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x65/markablue/33.gif (broken link) Sorry.
Excellent, because personally, all those colored bricks don't mean a great deal to me, I am here for the people and the exchange of information and ideas. I do however understand the purpose behind them, particularly in a local forum.

btw... can one still openly submit a local photo to the data base or has this been close already?

Old 10-04-2007, 11:19 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,535,910 times
I admit that some of my reps have come from the games forum..If it offends anyone here ..I would be happy to have every rep. given to me in games removed..IMO, that would still leave plenty of reps for all the good posts that I make..If that disturbs people they can also be removed....I, like so many others come to cd for many different reasons, and will continue to come despite the rep system...Personally I would rather not have one rep than to feel like a thief with many

Old 10-04-2007, 12:22 PM

8,954 posts, read 4,275,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I admit that some of my reps have come from the games forum..If it offends anyone here ..I would be happy to have every rep. given to me in games removed..IMO, that would still leave plenty of reps for all the good posts that I make..If that disturbs people they can also be removed....I, like so many others come to cd for many different reasons, and will continue to come despite the rep system...Personally I would rather not have one rep than to feel like a thief with many
Blue, there's no need to. Nobody's saying you don't deserve these points. Nobody from the staff, anyway. After all, you've earned them under currently operating rules, right?

Old 10-04-2007, 01:45 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,379,890 times
Hey blue... I'll take your reps if you're feeling the weight of your conscience on ya I will give them a good home. 3 square meals a day, and a roof over their head!

Old 10-04-2007, 01:54 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,695,979 times
Smile it's all good friend

awww blue, you sure do deserve every one of those reps . You are a joy to have around CDF! You are extremely helpful, and so friendly! Well that should be worth more rep points for ya!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum