Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2010, 10:48 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,231,339 times

Advertisements

Why do moderators want posters to add to an old thread instead of starting a new one.

Over and over, when posters follow the moderator's rules, the reply is----------" why are you resurecting a 2 year old thread ? "

Maybe after a year or so of no new posts, the thread should be locked for new posting and posters told to start a new thread.

The way it is now........" darned if you do,darned if you don't "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 11:34 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,174,152 times
With no intention whatsoever of being ironic, here are some links to old threads in this forum which cover this topic thoroughly.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/about...questions.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/about...roposting.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/about...roposting.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/about...d-threads.html

And here's the definitive response about City-Data's view on resurrecting old threads from one of the senior moderators. It answers your "why" question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marka View Post
We don't see that as a problem, actually. A lot of other people may just find the info useful.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:29 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,231,339 times
---we don't see this as a problem-----

apparently the many posters who ask -" why are you reviving an old thread"--seem to think it's a problem.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:48 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,174,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
---we don't see this as a problem-----

apparently the many posters who ask -" why are you reviving an old thread"--seem to think it's a problem.

There's no denying that reviving old threads bothers some people.

I can assure you from reported posts I've handled that there are also members who dislike seeing new threads made about old topics. Some of them are represented in those threads I linked. Others are quiet about it on the board but will dependably report posts to let a moderator know that Thread Y is on the exact same subject as Thread X from 2 months ago.

AFAIK, nobody ever reports a revival of an old thread, unless it's done without new information. In that case, it's a bump and bumps are against the TOS.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:24 PM

8,954 posts, read 4,279,216 times
Obviously, if we're considering a post saying: "Hi, I'm visiting X city tomorrow, do you know what the weather will be like?" from May 2007, it would be ridiculous to reply now. If, however, between the given OP and the reviving post there is an old discussion about climate changes in the X area, a new post in 2010 may very well add some interesting information.

The point is, we won't set an arbitrary rule for closing old threads because each case is different. If it bothers you, just don't look at threads marked with this icon:

Last edited by Marka; 10-07-2010 at 03:56 AM..

Old 10-03-2010, 12:53 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,333,865 times
Oddly enough, posters who gripe because an old thread is re-visited by a new member...are the same posters who gripe because there are more than one thread covering the same topic. They are chronic gripers.

Old 10-10-2010, 01:42 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,221,767 times
When first coming to CD after I found the info I needed on the state I was searching for I went into the old threads. Just to see what CD was all about and felt more comfortable posting in an older thread than a newer one. Seems the newer ones I went into folks were mean spirited towards other poster's opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum