Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 06:02 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,030,541 times

Advertisements

Just recently, I've started thinking about maybe going to find and photograph the tallest known redwood, Hyperion.

Has anybody been around, or know any parks employees, guides or bartenders than may have caught wind of someone who might know what drainage it's up - one feeding Redwood Creek?

Maybe they overheard but have not gone there.

Maybe they saw researchers enter the woods, etc..

Would like to get some photos to add to my forest collection.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:35 PM

409 posts, read 1,830,321 times
It has long been known locally that there are taller redwoods than the ones noted as such. Basically Big Tree is the tallest redwood that's conveniently accessible to tourism :-)

I could tell you where the big ones are but then I'd have to kill you.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernCalifornia View Post
It has long been known locally that there are taller redwoods than the ones noted as such. Basically Big Tree is the tallest redwood that's conveniently accessible to tourism :-)

I could tell you where the big ones are but then I'd have to kill you.
Let's kill each other then

Lost Monarch, Iluvatar and Del Norte Titan / Atlas Grove & Grove of Titans

You are not the person I met on route to Grove of Titans are you? Several months ago - maybe March or April.

I have found a few tallest ones, but tend to like the fat and odd trunk ones the best, since they make for some interesting photographs.

Have you ever stood in the parking lot for Big Tree, and looked north to it's right among the tree tops?

I'm also going to get a photo of one called 'Fusion Giant' but can't post what grove it's in. It's previous 348.6' height and 22.4' diameter trunk indicate it's probably the mystery titan listed as 2nd largest on the Humboldt State Univ. redwood's photo webpage noted to be 348.8' tall.

Actually - I was amazed about 6 hours after I posted this. Someone who also tracks big trees, emailed me their entire file about clues for Hyperion, and it looks like they pin-pointed the right tributary.

I'm just planning to explore the confluence and get a general feel for the terrain and vegetation. I'd rather return next winter or spring with a 10 person group, to divide into 5 x two-person teams, with radios.

Mainly would like to get some nice photos of it. Not interesting in climbing. I'm not one of these "Ninja Climbers". If I was, I'd already have been up Iluvatar, as it looks like one of the better jungle-gyms.

Well, I'll be between Trinidad, Crescent City and Harris Beach State Park in Brookings for 6 days starting next Sunday afternoon. If you see a maroon 2008 Chev pickup pulling a royal blue cargo trailer with diamond plate accents - that will be me. I'll probably drop the trailer a lot of the time, but it does have a nice assortment of snacks inside.

Last edited by mdvaden; 08-05-2008 at 01:21 AM..

Old 08-17-2008, 08:10 PM

409 posts, read 1,830,321 times
World's tallest in arboreal witness protection

on this very topic...

Old 08-19-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernCalifornia View Post
Thanks for the link.

These articles are always fun to read and usually written to be interesting.

I was down scoping out camping spots along Redwood Creek and started to get a feel for the terrain around "Fog Valley" where Hyperion is located.

No real rush on this one. Just wanted to inch closer and narrow-down where to hike in first.

But I did find Adventure Tree in another park - it even had climbing line concealed on the back side of it.

And I'm certain I found Fusion Giant, which I suspect is the second largest. If it was not Fusion Giant, then it's an undisclosed Titan. And far differerent from most titans, it was about 400 feet elevation higher than any creekside alluvial area.

It had a 74 foot circumference which is right in the ballpark for Fusion Giant. And huge by coast redwood standards anyway.

I found so many Titans in the woods off several trails, that I quit trying to match names and sizes on the last two days.

The weather was quite good too.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:07 AM

2 posts, read 24,161 times
Default Hyperion

Just recently, I've started thinking about maybe going to find and photograph the tallest known redwood, Hyperion.

Has anybody been around, or know any parks employees, guides or bartenders than may have caught wind of someone who might know what drainage it's up - one feeding Redwood Creek?

Also, even if you do not have any leads, but what to find her for the same reasons I do, maybe we could go together? I do not like the idea of being out there alone.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:31 PM

Thank you

It came to mind last week if this thread would ever get revived again to wrap it up. Rereading, I'm now chuckling about my previous brainstorm of maybe 10 people looking together.

One of the most intriguing clues to ponder in the episode, was the 1st paragraph of The Lost Valley chapter in Richard Preston's book The Wild Trees: p. 169. Following rules of grammar and logic, any place named in the paragraph should not be the same as any other named. Devil's Creek should not be Emerald Creek, nor Fog Creek be Bond Creek, nor Tom McDonald Creek be Lost Man Creek.

My favorite new site for tall trees and tall tree facts is landmarktrees.net

Since it was launched late 2009, I've been reading parts of it and looking at the photos about every other day.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:53 PM

82 posts, read 329,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed-wood View Post

Also, even if you do not have any leads, but what to find her for the same reasons I do, maybe we could go together? I do not like the idea of being out there alone.
Wouldn't mind taking a few photos of Hyperion myself.

Like a few others, I've tried my hand at looking for it. Mostly near Redwood Creek. But I'm going to try a new approach. That's near Lost Man Creek.

You ever read the Hyperion page at mdvaden.com ? It's got more dialogue than most other pages, except maybe an article that was on Metroactive. Good chance that you have seen one or the other. But I noticed a bunch of changes at the M. D. Vaden site the last couple of weeks. Some on the Hyperion page associated with the main redwood page. In fact, a lot of edits of sorts.

But most intriguing of all was his albums. A couple of photos are now captioned with "south of Lost Man Creek". I'm almost certain those same pic said Hyperion earlier this year or last. And one looks just like the photo that was on the Hyperion page. Except that a little bit different photo is on the Hyperion page now. But its got to be the same redwood. Its impossible to get any information from the owner of that site by email that ever confirms any extra questions. So I'm not going to ask about the captions and just go on a hunch in case it was an oversight.

Nobody has ever found it near Redwood Creek or creeks there so far. And I bet that's exactly why. It's over near Lost Man Creek.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:11 AM

82 posts, read 329,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed-wood View Post

Has anybody been around, or know any parks employees, guides or bartenders than may have caught wind of ...
Anything ever pan-out in your quest? Its been quite a while since you inquired.

It seems like Hyperion is sinking even deeper into secrecy. A photo caption appeared for it on google earth between lost man creek and a famous grove along Bald Hills Rd., then it went away. No reference to this tree name there anymore. And a couple of articles I used to look at were deleted or expired now. The trail grows colder by the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California