Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 09:50 PM

82 posts, read 329,919 times

Advertisements

Hope that one weird guy who found Grove of Titans last year does not find Hyperion. Me and some friends were reading some blog posts by him like last summer, and his story sounded fishy. It looks like they really found Lost Monarch, but one among them who we think is a David, has been changing his story. Its actually a bit creepy. At first the tale talked about a Tim, Charity and David

They were referred to as the "travelers". The moniker David was retained in the story. But the other names were changed to Josh and Isabel. In fact, a 4th name "Fred" showed up in one phase of the story. So there could be 4 of them. But the one we think is David may have used two names for himself. Anyway, it sounds hoakie where we see some guy who hopes for boardwalks to be built to the biggest trees, hiding with some kind of identity crisis.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:40 AM

1,457 posts, read 6,031,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi_Wan_Kenobi View Post
Hope that one weird guy who found Grove of Titans last year does not find Hyperion. Me and some friends were reading some blog posts by him like last summer, and his story sounded fishy. It looks like they really found Lost Monarch, but one among them who we think is a David, has been changing his story. Its actually a bit creepy. At first the tale talked about a Tim, Charity and David

They were referred to as the "travelers". The moniker David was retained in the story. But the other names were changed to Josh and Isabel. In fact, a 4th name "Fred" showed up in one phase of the story. So there could be 4 of them. But the one we think is David may have used two names for himself. Anyway, it sounds hoakie where we see some guy who hopes for boardwalks to be built to the biggest trees, hiding with some kind of identity crisis.

That clan would no more find Hyperion on their own than they would get to the moon. I am familiar with their other quest. A 2 on a scale of 1 - 10 compared to other seekers. It was merely repetition and chance, not acumen. If the comparison helps, a teenager found the grove in one day, using preparation and logic. People have a knack for this or they don't.

Agreed that the change of identity could seem creepy. Name a blog about outdoors stuff where the writer implemented identity camouflage. We all know the saying that actions speak louder than words. So that should tell you something. Anyway, don't be concerned about them finding the tallest tree.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
That clan would no more find Hyperion on their own than they would get to the moon. I am familiar with their other quest.
That is refreshing to hear.

What about other redwoods?

Old 02-25-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi_Wan_Kenobi View Post
That is refreshing to hear.

What about other redwoods?

"Other redwood" --- probably at least a 50/50 chance to find a couple extra big ones, and near 0% chance for the tallest. One of them actually called and mentioned looking for Atlas Grove which author Richard Preston had written about. A grove that has Iluvatar and Atlas Tree in it. But whether they find it might be like rolling dice. One of them, the David (or Fred) stumbled upon an obscure research paper noting something about the location. Problem is, an illuvial soil area mentioned in the paper is mismatched with the name of the wrong creek at Prairie Creek park. And they may burn themselves out looking upstream along smaller creeks like Boyes Creek rather than along benches next to Prairie Creek itself. There are about 2 to 3 miles of alluvial soil benches that are the right ones to search along the length of Prairie Creek. Plus, the redwoods are really hard to spot anyway, otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned this much here.

Sure wish you could have read more notes that people have written to them, or him. The admin of the blog you saw, selectively omitted quite a few comments which he did not want people to see there. In the long run, he's sort of been counterproductive to his hopes. He hopes that trails and boardwalks can be built to the most special redwoods, and I suspect that dream would include Hyperion too. Instead, he triggered the closing of a discreet door to upwards of 100 special redwoods that he won't be told about "under the table" so to speak. Many unpublished albino redwoods, tallest Douglas fir, tallest Sitka spruce, many very unusually shaped coast redwoods. And there are many titan redwoods not named or shown by photos, which are bigger than named titans. Like if you ever see the list on Landmarktrees website for largest coast redwoods, there are many not included on that list. Some folks would be amazed if they knew how many undisclosed and unmentioned titans are scattered in Prairie Creek, Jedediah Smith and Redwood National parks. Sir Isaac Newton, Del Norte Titan, Helios, Icarus, Bull Creek Giant etc. ... those are the well known and obvious ones. But those names are outnumbered by invisible groves with slightly smaller but very significant redwoods. 90% of the newly found and measured tallest redwoods, some just called like T4 or TT12, are in eye-popping grove settings. Dozens of them.

If you are looking for one yourself, I'd say set your sights on Arco Giant, because it's location has already been published. If you stand in the middle of the Elk Prairie and look south, you can even see it's top. Very, very few people look for that one, so increased foot traffic seems no issue. Somewhat surprising considering its immensity.

Last edited by mdvaden; 02-25-2011 at 09:32 AM..

Old 08-04-2012, 02:20 AM

2 posts, read 24,162 times
Reviving the search effort! If anyone has heard anything, I would love to share notes!

Old 11-27-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed-wood View Post
Reviving the search effort! If anyone has heard anything, I would love to share notes!
Don't do much PM-ing because I don't check message boxes reliably on forums. But when reviewing this kind of tree topic, more than glad to share here what I notice on the web since it's out there anyway.

It seems lately there's buzz on the internet about people looking at Lost Man Creek area. And in recent months one or two people who looked, apparently found Hyperion. You probably already read their blogs, etc.. Even though those finders did not where they looked, I'm drawing a correlation between the timing and the internet buzz. So Lost Man Creek, if I can find time to get down there, is high on my list.

Also, I just looked at the Hyperion redwood page at the mdvaden.com site in the redwoods section and there's something interesting. A couple of photos, like the bear claw one, have 'lost_man_creek" in the file names. It does not show at all on the page. That looks like they were pulled from a Lost Man Creek folder.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:04 PM

87 posts, read 164,332 times
Default How to Find Hyperion Redwood - Armchair Suggestion

I have never been to RNP, but after reading some posts, reviewing some pictures, and looking at google maps I would like to offer these comments:

Although rugged, RNP is really not that big a place and there are only so many mature redwood groves.
All these groves can be viewed, tree by tree, with terrain and "satellite (=airplane)" views on google maps.

Armed with this information, if were ever to go to RNP and look for Hyperion, I would do the following:

From 101N just past Orick go inland on Bald Hills Road to the turnoff / parking area for the trail to the Lady Bird Johnson Redwood Grove. This is a relatively flat hilltop trail. I would proceed on this trail, which generally runs WNW. After about one mile on this trail I would find a way to move straight north, up and over the ridge and start down the hill toward Little Lost Man Creek. This is probably easier said than done, hopefully there would be some human or wildlife trails.

While moving down this hill I would look for open areas to look across to the south facing hill on the other side of Little Lost Man Creek. This is when I would expect to see Hyperion in the same type of relatively full tree profile that is available on google images.

Just some ideas from an armchair naturalist.

Regards, Mark

Old 09-17-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGraham View Post
I have never been to RNP, but after reading some posts, reviewing some pictures, and looking at google maps I would like to offer these comments:

Although rugged, RNP is really not that big a place and there are only so many mature redwood groves.
All these groves can be viewed, tree by tree, with terrain and "satellite (=airplane)" views on google maps.

Armed with this information, if were ever to go to RNP and look for Hyperion, I would do the following:

... ...

Just some ideas from an armchair naturalist.

Regards, Mark
Hey Mark ...

Looks like you may have stumbled on some of the new clues that leaked out the past year or two. Although word is getting around the Hyperion is pretty close to Lady Bird Johnson Grove, at least most rank and file searchers are not sure whether it's 500 feet away, 2000 feet away or 4500 feet away. Yeah, it ain't going to be right up on the top of the hill where the wind is strong, but that just trims maybe 1000 to 1500 feet off some guesstimates. Sounds like you've been reading enough to be interested though. Sounds like you are planning to start high and work outward. Guess there's two ways one could approach. Either start up at Lady Bird Johnson grove, which is mostly outward and downslope from there. Or, start down in the lowland and work up some hills. The roads are almost always open all year for parking at Lost Man Creek or Lady Bird Johnson Grove. So both options should be on the table.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:32 PM

Found this old topic today searching for "redwoods" .... and thought some update may be of interest to a few.

Apparently, Hyperion has only been found by 8 extra people since 2006 when it was discovered, an average of near 1 person each year. Like 6 of the 8 were actually paired-together, so that's really only 5 findings in 8 years. It's worth noting that nobody has found Hyperion the entire span of 2012 to early 2014. So efforts to locate the remote Coast Redwood have come to an abrupt halt.

One thing I noticed the past few years, is the number of emails from people looking for clues dropped to less than a trickle. Used to get maybe one email per month. Lately I got one the entire year of 2013.

The last finder was a guy named Steve ...

Steve's story about finding Hyperion > Hyperion Redwood-- The Tallest Tree in the World

He provides a story of his adventure.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:32 PM

Update ...

Even if postings are few here, apparently this thread is read a lot, so the scuttlebutt goes. So here's a bit of information I shared at my own once and updated last week. There's potentially a single clue out there, that interpreted a certain way, could zero-in on the proximity of Hyperion. But it depends solely on locating the tree in the photo shown below, or another in that grove. It was made clear that the clue could also be a double-edged sword. Enjoy your quest and take your time to move carefully in the forest. Explore safe.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California