Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2024, 05:40 PM

86 posts, read 17,931 times

Advertisements

I hear the gun laws are crazy in California. Too bad. If these gents had been armed they both might be alive today having a beer and telling the story of how one shot took out the mountain lion charging at them. Sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2024, 05:52 PM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofunme View Post
I hear the gun laws are crazy in California. Too bad. If these gents had been armed they both might be alive today having a beer and telling the story of how one shot took out the mountain lion charging at them. Sad.
How do you know they weren’t armed?

Old 03-25-2024, 06:02 PM

78,331 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
We subscribe to the much-despised "Nextdoor" website. Every few weeks someone posts a quick video of a mountain lion crossing their yard, usually at night. I haven't seen one yet, but they are around.

We had two encounters with black bears, one at night and it ran away when we went outside to check with the Airedale. The other was in the early afternoon and the bear climbed a big oak tree halfway, and was so scared of us it didn't leave until later that night. I'm more worried about raccoons and lions.

Our 5-feet-high chain link fence is for decoration only. I had seen deer jump over it the way I step over a paper bag on the street. The black bear climbed over it coming in under 4 seconds. We don't allow our dogs out at night unless I'm there watching.
Good point, the fences for deer at the tree farms here are 10 feet.

Seen coyotes easily clear 5 foot fences to nab pets online.

Wildlife is spreading, where my parents live in northern IL my father whom is around 80 has seen it go from "wow we saw a deer" back when he was 10 to people seeing black bear, cougar and even wolf.

This is good news but something to be aware of.

P.S. Nextdoor is hilarious depending where you live, if you have any cranks or nervous neighborhood karen types.

Old 03-25-2024, 06:46 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
P.S. Nextdoor is hilarious depending where you live, if you have any cranks or nervous neighborhood karen types.
Got that right! "OMG, I just spotted a FOX down the street! Everyone be super careful!"

Of course, every now and then someone's backyard security camera or Ring doorbell picks up a sighting of a very BIG kitty... Now THAT is something I'd love to see the reaction to on Nextdoor.

Honestly, when you consider how common mountain lions are in many parts of the US and how stealthy they are, it's a minor miracle that more people aren't killed or seriously injured by these cats. This was a truly freak event, and I feel very sorry for the brothers and for their friends and family. Some times bad things just happen, and nothing you could have done would have prevented it.

Old 03-25-2024, 07:59 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,736,000 times
The following is from the late evening edition of the Sacramento Bee. This wasn't a silent ambush. Unfortunately they didn't carry a suitable weapon, a gun or at least a machete.

"Taylen was the first to spot the mountain lion prowling up the one-lane road as they searched. The brothers did exactly as trained: Both raised their arms to appear large and yelled at the lion, said the family and state wildlife officials. Wyatt threw his backpack at the predator to scare him away, the family said. Nothing helped. The cougar charged at Wyatt, biting at his face. Taylen began yelling and beating the animal, but the predator still didn’t let go. Family identifies brothers, 21 and 18, in fatal Northern California mountain lion attack. DNA from mountain lion killed after fatal Saturday attack matches sample from scene. Wyatt managed to get on top of the 90-pound beast. But the mountain lion clawed at his midsection leading the 18-year-old to lose his grip. That’s when the young male lion charged at Taylen, chomping at his neck and tackling him to the ground. Lacerations ripped through Wyatt’s face as he repeatedly beat the animal to loosen its jaws. The predator skirted away and Wyatt called 911. But, he had no cellphone service. The 18-year-old ran to his vehicle where he ultimately got cell service and called authorities.

Read more at: https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article287080335.html#storylink=cpy"

Here is more:
Taylen and Wyatt grew up in the unincorporated community Mount Aukum where they enjoyed hunting and fishing together, almost daily. The brothers knew March was the best time to search out the deer antler sheds before they were blanketed by tall spring grasses. Saturday was also the opening day of junior turkey hunting season, so they didn’t carry firearms that would draw the eye of game wardens.

Read more at: https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article287080335.html#storylink=cpy"

Last edited by mgforshort; 03-25-2024 at 08:25 PM..

Old 03-25-2024, 08:03 PM

86 posts, read 17,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
How do you know they weren’t armed?
If they were armed then chances are they both would be alive. It being California, the news outlets would have made a big deal about being armed and still attacked. I have read numerous different sources on this story and none of those sources said anything about being armed. I was not there, so not sure about it. What makes you think they might have been armed?

Old 03-25-2024, 09:00 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Two decades ago I was living in Foothill Ranch (part of Lake Forest), CA which is the entrance to Whiting Ranch Regional Park (Orange County regional park system). I was a frequent trail runner on the 20+ miles of trails in the park at the base of the Santa Ana Mountains. I usually ran in the early morning hours, at dawn's early light before going to work. I went out for a run in Whiting Ranch park just a few hours before the mountain lion attack described below occurred. What really spooked me was that I ran on a trail that was just 100 or so yards away from the place where a few hours later, a mountain biker crouched over to work on his bike chain was killed and partially eaten by a large mountain lion. Shortly after the lion attacked two other women mountain bikers.
Yikes. Yes. that would be spooky. Back in 1996-98 when we were living in Lake Forest, I rode my mountain bike through Whiting all the time and never thought twice about it. By 2004, we were five miles away, I had two small children and was pregnant with a third, so I hadn't been there for a while, but I remember this incident very clearly. The woman who was attacked was lucky to survive and needed extensive plastic surgery to put her badly mauled face back together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Now here's someone who is greatly under estimating a mountain lion's capabilities. Greatly.
The same woman stated that being jumped by the lion was like being attacked by ten men at once. There was absolutely no way to fight back.

Old 03-25-2024, 09:19 PM

2,040 posts, read 990,078 times
Horrifying, but we have to remember that these attacks are rare and come down to wrong place/wrong time situations.

Reminds me of a guy in Utah a couple years who was not directly attacked, but charged at and followed by an angry mother lion for six terrifying minutes. I'm not sure what I might have done differently in that situation, and I think he lucked out when the lion finally got spooked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p25MgRZ9rJc

Old 03-25-2024, 09:24 PM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofunme View Post
If they were armed then chances are they both would be alive. It being California, the news outlets would have made a big deal about being armed and still attacked. I have read numerous different sources on this story and none of those sources said anything about being armed. I was not there, so not sure about it. What makes you think they might have been armed?
I never made an assumption one way or the other. I’m not much of a speculator. Prefer to wait for facts to come in. And now, mgforshort has updated the readers. Thanks mg

That said, turns out they weren’t armed … because they didn’t want to attract attention from game wardens … had nothing to do with California’s gun laws.

Old 03-25-2024, 10:02 PM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times
This happened in Washington a few weeks ago. It was a group of older women mountain bike riders who ended up holding the mountain lion down with their bikes.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...aws-rcna143806
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California