Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2023, 08:11 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,558,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaea View Post
Statistics don’t necessarily reflect the realities on the ground. Many of the robberies, thefts, larcenies and even simple assaults go unreported in large urban centers in CA. I had my car broken into — in the wealthy Elmwood district in Berkeley, no less — and my mailbox was routinely raided (once or twice a week). I rented a private mailbox to cope with that issue, and even there, I received letters from the SSA which had been opened (thieves looking for SS checks, of course). I was confronted by aggressive homeless men twice. Did I report any of it? No. Why would I? A total hassle and a waste of time. I know many people who had their cars smashed into, and they didn’t report it to either police or the insurance company, for fear of having their premiums go up.

I’m not a CA doomsayer. The state has many incredible attributes, all of them outside the sphere of politics (such as great natural beauty and considerable natural renewable resources). But life in the cities for an average middle class person is a struggle and a hazard. It’s not spin, it’s lived experience.
Yes, of course.

When the numbers don't reflect what people want to believe, then they're unreported. And when crime was much worse just a few short years ago and going back from there for roughly a decade before, those numbers were all reported. Or using your logic was crime actually even worse and those numbers were also unreported. Seriously, you can't have it both ways.

This is why I don't waste my time with spin and anecdotes. I'll rely on people compiling this information for a living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2023, 08:34 AM

19,194 posts, read 16,675,444 times
Quote:
Statistics don’t necessarily reflect the realities on the ground. Many of the robberies, thefts, larcenies and even simple assaults go unreported in large urban centers in CA. I had my car broken into — in the wealthy Elmwood district in Berkeley, no less — and my mailbox was routinely raided (once or twice a week). I rented a private mailbox to cope with that issue, and even there, I received letters from the SSA which had been opened (thieves looking for SS checks, of course). I was confronted by aggressive homeless men twice. Did I report any of it? No. Why would I? A total hassle and a waste of time. I know many people who had their cars smashed into, and they didn’t report it to either police or the insurance company, for fear of having their premiums go up.

I’m not a CA doomsayer. The state has many incredible attributes, all of them outside the sphere of politics (such as great natural beauty and considerable natural renewable resources). But life in the cities for an average middle class person is a struggle and a hazard. It’s not spin, it’s lived experience.
You're right. Stats are good for gauging past and present events but when you live specifically in an area and see crime increasing, you naturally know things aren't good.

I'd be livid if I lived in an area where I had to endure constant car break-ins. Insurance or not, that's not something anyone wants to walk outside and see. You're penalized if you make a claim or pay out of pocket to fix these things done by some low-life criminal. It does no good to report it since there's no way to find the person who did it. Very annoying and increasing as it's one of the easiest crimes to commit and get away with. Please, pay no attention to eye rolling member who doesn't even live in CA, yet seems to know what happens throughout the entire state on a day to day basis. Makes about as much sense as me saying I know what's happening in LA when I live hundreds of miles away.

Old 12-05-2023, 11:18 AM

The cool thing is Timaea,

I'll be right in the thick of it tomorrow through Friday and get to make an assessment myself instead of relying on people on the internet. I'll be walking all throughout Union square, Market Street, down the Embarcadero, parts of the wharf, etc. I'll probably even be going to parts of the Tenderloin. Looking forward to it.

Old 12-05-2023, 11:32 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:

How would thieves access your mail at a rented mailbox location, unless it was the mailman or a staff member at the rental location? Did you report the two incidents to the manager?

Old 12-05-2023, 11:39 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
The cool thing is Timaea,

I'll be right in the thick of it tomorrow through Friday and get to make an assessment myself instead of relying on people on the internet. I'll be walking all throughout Union square, Market Street, down the Embarcadero, parts of the wharf, etc. I'll probably even be going to parts of the Tenderloin. Looking forward to it.
There's a little Mongol Cafe on Geary in the Tenderloin, if you expect to be there around lunch time. 842 Geary. Let us know how your SF visit went.

Old 12-05-2023, 11:45 AM

3,446 posts, read 2,772,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There's a little Mongol Cafe on Geary in the Tenderloin, if you expect to be there around lunch time. 842 Geary. Let us know how your SF visit went.
Do they serve Mongolian tenderloin?

Old 12-05-2023, 12:25 PM

Quote:
I definitely will. Thanks Ruth.

Old 12-05-2023, 06:18 PM

629 posts, read 287,583 times
Quote:
How would thieves access your mail at a rented mailbox location, unless it was the mailman or a staff member at the rental location? Did you report the two incidents to the manager?
Ruth, mail tampering happens at the USPS level, i.e., among the postal employees in the Bay Area, too. Again, this is not something i can “prove” for the edification of posters here. How could i? All i can say is that it’s the only logical explanation after watching patterns of mail tampering, both as a resident and an employee. Don’t even get me started on the weird patterns of missing mail/reappearing mail for my employer; since I processed mail for the firm for many years, i feel qualified to have an educated hunch. Of course I “reported” tampered mail to the manager, if by reported we agree that I mentioned it to him. Naturally he didn’t have a clue as to who might have opened the mail, and I in fact do believe HIM, because he is a small business owner invested in keeping his business afloat. As for reporting to the authorities? Yeah, I called the FTC to cover my rear in case of identity theft. Any other reporting would have been a total waste of time in terms of actionable prevention.

Old 12-05-2023, 08:19 PM

7,061 posts, read 4,510,340 times
Baby boomer, I just looked and the Reno-Sparks area has doubled in population the past 26 years. I am guessing many of them are Californians. Our housing prices are higher than Sacramento according to an article I recently read. I also read that a one person household in Reno needs to make 36k/year to pay their bills.

Old 12-05-2023, 08:26 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Stealing master keys is a big thing now, even attacking postal workers to get it. I'm sure one could be big bait for a postal worker to sell copies of an arrow key. Not even sure how hard that would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California