Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 08:24 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,745,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Thank God for Howard Jarvis and Prop 13. My parents bought their house in 1972 and in 1978 their taxes were frozen to $1000. They've paid $1000 every year since then and I will inherit the house (current value about 1 million) and file a parent-to-child exemption to keep them $1000. Saint Howard saved our family roughly a quarter million dollars in property taxes over the decades.
Too bad 50-60 percent of Californians support overturning it because they think it will bring extra revenue to the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2019, 10:01 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,914,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
That's amazing that they've lived in the same home for nearly 50 years and they've never had to do a major upgrade or remodel.

They couldn't. They had no room to expand.

Old 10-16-2019, 10:18 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,914,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post
Telling you to read the comment in its entirety is sarcasm? Sure thing lady.

Again, the majority of people do not do major upgrades or remodels. Feel free to look up the averages on major upgrades and remodels. The fact that you don't know anyone who has lived in a home for 5 decades and not done a major upgrade does not change that. And as stated, if it's not something that you had to file some sort of permit with, you're not going to have tax ramifications.

A lot of people are having a misunderstanding about my parents having lived in the same home for 5 decades with no remodel or pulling a permit. In fact, just putting in a new water heater or HVAC requires pulling a permit but doesn't trigger a reassessment. In fact one could do an entire kitchen remodel without triggering a reassessment as long as the square footage of the kitchen didn't change (they did not do a kitchen remodel--same cabinets and formica countertops).

Quote:
Kitchen renovations are more of a gray area, Kapp said. “If they’re replacing countertops and not extending them, it would probably not [trigger a reassessment],” Kapp said. “If they add additional cabinets or move a wall, for example, that would trigger reassessment,” even if the square footage remains the same.

This might better explain than I could:

Quote:
But what constitutes “new construction” and how much will the taxes go up?
Under California property tax law, “new construction” is:
  • Any substantial addition to land or improvements, including fixtures.
  • Any physical alteration of any improvement, or a portion thereof, to a “like-new” condition, or to extend its economic life, or to change the way in which the improvement, or portion thereof, is used.
  • Any substantial physical alteration of land which constitutes a major rehabilitation of the land or changes the manner in which it is used.
  • Any substantial physical rehabilitation, renovation or modernization of any fixture that converts it to the substantial equivalent of a new fixture or any substitution of a new fixture.

https://www.hjta.org/news-events/tax...y-taxes-go-up/

Old 10-17-2019, 02:19 AM

1,203 posts, read 835,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
A lot of people are having a misunderstanding about my parents having lived in the same home for 5 decades with no remodel or pulling a permit.
Yep. Admittedly, I just think it's a silly comment since only about 30% of homes tend to go through some sort of major upgrade or remodel (so clearly not that surprising in your parents case).

The majority of homes in Northern CA don't even have HVACs for example.

The homes in my neighborhood were all built in the early 60's so similar to your parents. Major upgrades and remodels are not necessities but things done by choice. Most people can maintain a house without doing them (and most owners in my neighborhood have done just that). Although a permit will not necessarily trigger a new assessment, it is a way to flag additions on work being done to a house (then they would go through the checklist you listed to see if a re-assessment should be done). With that said, maintaining a house to a large extent wouldn't even trigger that so there would be no chance on an assessment (which was my point). We've replaced appliances, had one roof job, had the house painted inside and out, changed out some lighting fixtures, had a toilet installed, and replaced carpet. We're good with our bathrooms and kitchen, and have the original furnace. We have hedges in the front of our house and no back yard (typical house in our neck of the woods). We've never had any type of reassessment, nor have the neighbors. But as you stated, there are even some things that people would consider more major (refreshing of a kitchen for example) that would not trigger a reassessment. But some like to crow about this like it's commonplace, and it's simply not.

Old 10-18-2019, 09:22 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Try cutting back your constant, belittling sarcasm to make your points.

And sorry, I don't know anyone in southern California who's lived in a home for 5 decades but has never done one upgrade.
It is not unusual to find unmolested homes here in the Bay Area...

Each home I bought was original... starting with the 1922 Craftsman Bungalow of 1000 square feet... all the fixtures, windows, etc... all 1922... heck, even the wiring with one outlet in each room was knob and tube with a two fuse box... a 20 amp for outlets and a 15 for lights... thing is it is still this way today... electric never upgraded.

The home I bought in 2003 was all 1957 except the windows had been changed... all 1957 fixtures and even lino in the kitchen...

Parents home is all 1958... nothing changed except a over stove microwave...

I guess the common thread is all these homes are held be long term owners...

Where I live now... all my neighbors built in the 1950's and never moved... except for the foreclosure next door... and that was built about 15 or so years ago...

If it is clean and working as intended no reason to spend good money catching a trend that will be obsolete by the time you are done...

On my 1922 Bungalow... my friends were all ready for a Demo party... I had no money and spent nights and weekends cleaning/repairing what I had... new sash cords in the original wood double hung windows... etc...

When I sold I got the highest price in the neighborhood and the people that bought were in love with the 1920's... right down to the original high leg stove original to the house.

As to the 2%... as others have mentioned it has nothing to do with taxes paid... as taxes paid are 1% of assessed value plus voter approved assessments...

2% is the max annual inflation cap as to how much the assessed value can increase...

Old 10-18-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoolu View Post
And you better never pull a permit or your head will explode when get your new tax bill

Fricking crooks will reassess to market value of tell you that pool you installed for 30k is worth 60k
Depends... I have pulled permits for 240 volt electric service, replace roof or replace water heater and none triggered reassessment... they were often called maintenance permits...

Adding Square Footage is a big ticket when it comes to triggering reassessment... next could be the luxury Kitchen make over...

Old 10-18-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoolu View Post
any permit can trigger review of property tax i added a shop cost only 23k i had the receipts and when the new assessment they added 50 to my assessment- i appealed went to the meeting had the receipts and was denied - they said its not based on cost but worth - they just added as sq even though it was a shop =they will f you anyway and everyday

we got sick of the crap and move to texas = when we moved here i went to the county to check on permits etc - they looked at me like i was from mars - they told son you live in the country and this is texas - your land do what you want - i asked about the pool installed 5 year ago - no permit - same with the added garage - so nice to live in a state where big brother is not looking at your every move
Friends moved near Tyler Texas on 160 raw acres... built a beautiful home, barn, out buildings, etc... no permit needed or required...

He said things have changed a little and now septic requires a permit...

Amazing how that goes.

Old 10-18-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
Too bad 50-60 percent of Californians support overturning it because they think it will bring extra revenue to the state.
Or they think taxes will go down

Old 10-18-2019, 09:50 AM

8,481 posts, read 6,886,522 times
Prop 13 example. Cousin bought a one story app 1600 sq ft home in Saratoga CA. Built in the 50’s. Purchased early 70’s for under 200k. Current retail app 2 million. Property tax app 1300 per year.

Old 10-18-2019, 12:47 PM

Santa Clara is similar... Godparents bought a new home in 1959 for just under 20k...

The kids just sold it for 1.7M... taxes were dirt cheap and included city services we have to pay extra for in Oakland.

He was an engineer that had to retire in his 50's due to several heart attacks... lots of stress?

There is no way he could have stayed in his one and only home paying property tax on 1.7m with a $1200 social security and meager by today 401k

Strange thing his two adult children sold the place... either one of them could have moved in and kept 50% of the tax basis... neither did... decided the money in had was better and so it goes so many times.

If Prop 13 was the end all the offspring would never sell... yet most property does leave the family... just not enough of a reason to keep it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California