Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 09:16 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,274,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
State of American Education? Well, let's see:
The Big 10 has 14 schools in it and of Three R's, only one of 'em starts with an R.

What constitutes a "good school?" It seems to me you don't need Linus Pauling to teach you first year chemistry, nor Einstein to teach you calculus. Under-grad is self education, and could be done at home with a good textbook.

Do we really need more of UW research that has improved genetics & nutrition of dairy cattle so much that we now have a glut of milk with dairy farmers going broke and soon we'll have no milk at all as they all go out of business? Or the world renowned meteorology dept that's so involved in the hoax of AGW?

UW has a $2.8Billion endowment. They should be paying WI taxpayers a dividend.
That’s a nice tinfoil hat you are wearing, amigo. Frankly though, it suits other people I know who share your affinity for hiding out in the driftless area of WI.

Climate change is not a hoax. Not taking care of what we have because of some anti-government/anti-science quasi political slant is not healthy.

As far as endowments are concerned, if only the situation were that cut and dry. You are myopic and naive to think otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 04:02 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,646,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
No freaking duh. All B10 schools except Northwestern are. We all know that.

Let me connect the dots for you:

Michigan is an excellent school. Period. Undergraduate and grad programs are top notch.

UW is a very good school for a public school. It's grad programs are often excellent.

UW is NOT Michigan, and I'm saying this as a UW alum. No way I or many of my peers would have gotten into Michigan.
UW is an EXCELLENT school.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:41 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,274,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Very true.

The underlying point is WI needs to support such endeavors instead of policies that pull down successful academic programs. The types of mechanisms to rebuild such things are not easily achieved.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:33 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,067,254 times
Quote:
The Big 10 has 14 schools in it and of Three R's, only one of 'em starts with an R.

What constitutes a "good school?" It seems to me you don't need Linus Pauling to teach you first year chemistry, nor Einstein to teach you calculus. Under-grad is self education, and could be done at home with a good textbook.

Do we really need more of UW research that has improved genetics & nutrition of dairy cattle so much that we now have a glut of milk with dairy farmers going broke and soon we'll have no milk at all as they all go out of business? Or the world renowned meteorology dept that's so involved in the hoax of AGW?

You seem to not understand how endowments work.

And yes, we need much more research.

Hoax of AGW? Sounds like some education is needed.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post

It's a very good school. Some excellent grad programs, but undergrad, just very good. It's no Northwestern, or U Michigan.

And heck. I wouldn't call those "excellent" either. Stanford is excellent. UC Berkeley is excellent. MIT is excellent.

UW is very good.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
WRONG. For starters, NYC metro may be going strong, but upstate NY is seriously faultering economically. Haven't you seen all of the TV advertising done by the State of NY on TV encouraging businesses to relocate there? (upstate.) The State of IL would probably not even attempt this type of recruitment--who would want to move to IL? haha

Quite a strange assessment of CA you make. Have you ever lived there? The middle-class family households are leaving the state in great numbers for TX, CO, AZ and many others. Primarily, but not entirely, due to the sky-high housing costs. But you say "they can't compete?" You sound like a snob.

Upstate NY is mostly rural. Of course it is faultering, but that doesn't matter, it's all about NYC. Like Massachusetts is all about Boston. Heck, WI is really all about Madison and Milwaukee.

But most states work to attract businesses. That's very normal. I don't have a TV though, so no, I don't see commercials.

Yes, I live in California. San Francisco. The Inner Richmond specifically. Fantastic place to live. Going back again to visit in a couple of months to visit friends... all middle class.

And lots of people want to move to IL. I know several people that moved to Chicago over the last year. It's one of the best cities in the country, and still very affordable for all it offers. I'd love to live there again (I was only able to briefly).

Oh, visited Phoenix on the way to some National Parks a year ago. Flew in there and checked it out. Now, that's a freaking crummy city. The only redeeming thing was Arizona Wilderness Brewing. I would think you'd jump at the chance to live in a great place like Chicago!

Old 08-06-2018, 12:40 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,326,319 times
Quote:

What constitutes a "good school?" It seems to me you don't need Linus Pauling to teach you first year chemistry, nor Einstein to teach you calculus.
True, at least for undergrad education. Most UW schools don't have Paulings and Einsteins, and the ones that do are research universities.

Quote:
Under-grad is self education, and could be done at home with a good textbook.
Self-education is instrumental in getting a good education, but an academic, classroom environment enhances the experience greatly. There is no substitute, really.

Quote:
Lol, the hoax of AGW. Do you believe in Flat Earth, as well?

Quote:
As Timberline says, you don't seem to understand how endowments work. Maybe you should take a class? Or at least get a better textbook.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:40 AM

758 posts, read 848,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InnovativeAmerican View Post
I think Chicago is in better shape than Wisconsin as a whole.
There were 63 shot, 10 dead over the weekend. Nothing new about that. But Chicago is still in better shape. Go figure....

Old 08-06-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
There were 63 shot, 10 dead over the weekend. Nothing new about that. But Chicago is still in better shape. Go figure....

Much better shape. Far better.

Old 08-06-2018, 04:40 PM

2,670 posts, read 3,873,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Much better shape. Far better.
The question of whether WI or Chicago is in "better shape" is about as inane as discussing how many angels are on the head of a pin.

Having lived several years in both, I personally would prefer almost anywhere* in WI over Chicago But that's just my personal preference. I would never assume my preferences work for everyone else.

(*I exclude Adams Friendship from my comment. That place is just freaky weird and some of those people are downright scary.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin