Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 07:59 AM

8,290 posts, read 23,122,463 times

Advertisements

So I am planning a trip to the "Northwoods" as everyone seems to call it or "Up Nort". I have been to Green Bay twice and Door County twice and Eau Claire several times but I have never been really up north in the central part of the state. I am looking for scenic drives or routes to take or certain areas to see, what little towns are interesting to see or drive through, trails or parks or campgrounds. Having never been up there I have no idea what is up there. I feel like I am missing out on the nature aspect of this state and a huge portion I have never even driven through. I would like to camp and be able to go fishing, hiking and see northern Wisconsin's scenic nature. What state forest to camp in or which one to drive through. I know literally nothing about far northern Wisconsin. I know there's coyotes and wolves and black bears so I don't know how dangerous camping would be or if dangerous at all. I have recently spent a lot of time in the Kettle Moraine Southern Unit but that's literally right next to the subdivisions of suburban Milwaukee. What are some ideas for a long weekend in the Northwoods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 12:12 PM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times
From Milwaukee take 94 west to 39 north. 39 north turns into highway 51. Take that all the way up to Minocqua and Woodruff area. That would be a good stopping point with lots of lake activities as Minocqua is on a peninsula surrounded by a lake. Plenty of bars, motels, and supper clubs to choose from. From there, I would take 51 north of Minocqua and head out on any of the numerous "letter highways" in Vilas County. That will give you a true Northwoods experience with plenty of lakes and forests galore. After doing that I would get back on 51 south and take highway 70 east to Eagle River. Lots of activities on local lakes and plenty of local flavor.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:58 AM

1,240 posts, read 2,240,285 times
As gs said, Minocqua would be a good place to base from. Plenty to see and do within that area. I love the drive from Minocqua west on 70 to Fifield, hang a right there to 13 north. Pass through Park Falls, Butternut and Glidden up to Mellen to check out Copper Falls state park. Awesome scenery. Plenty of places to stop and see, places to wet a line, and hole in the wall spots to grub. Deer, bear and wolves as well, so bring a camera and keep your eyes open. If you are going to camp, just make sure all your food and trash is kept in air tight sealed containers and dont leave things like steak/chicken bones laying around and you won't have any unwanted visits from the local critters. Love the northwoods!

Old 06-04-2012, 11:28 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,027,874 times
i used to love visiting grandparents in the Mountain/Lakewood area when i was a teen.... plenty of small 'ponds' to carry a boat in and fish by yourself, lots of woods to explore; was easy to get away from it all. Then early on my work career was able to run routes up thru there, the Minocqua/Woodruff area, and up to Hurley as well. You'll be able to find nice stops for eating and perhaps some recreating up there, i'd add though that Minocqua can almost be like the Dells in summer as far as tourism goes, so maybe keep that in mind if you want some peace to enjoy the outdoors

Old 06-06-2012, 11:07 AM

947 posts, read 2,424,731 times
Three years ago, my family and I wanted to do the same thing-we wanted a real Northwoods experience. We decided on Minocqua and rented a cabin for a week. It will ease you into the whole nature thing while still giving you a rustic vibe to your trip. If you don't own a boat, there are places there to do so. We had a great time fishing in Lake Tomahawk and Minocqua, caught a fair amount of bass and northern. The town is quaint but touristy. Drives to Boulder Junction and Woodruff very closeby.
If you've ever read my posts, you might realize we ended up buying property in Northern Rusk Co. We camp on our property in an old pop-up camper until our room in our pole barn is finished. It is as wild as it gets. We have seen bear, deer, eagles, coyote, loons. We have heard howling into the night. Last week, we picked 30 ticks off my poor dog at one sitting. Mosquitos and biting flies are constantly around. The horseflies chase you down the river when you are canoeing or tubing. Having said that, we love it. All I am suggesting is that if you are not comfortable with the whole outdoor in the rough thing, a cabin may be the place to start and do day trips to places you want to hike, etc.
State campgrounds are your best bet for shower houses, flush toilets, if you decide to go that route. Many of the campgrounds we have seen in N. Wisconsin have pit toilets and some do not have shower facilities.
Whatever you decide, it will be a gorgeous experience! Have fun!

Old 06-06-2012, 04:36 PM

156 posts, read 420,677 times
Eagle River!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-06-2012, 06:54 PM

8,290 posts, read 23,122,463 times
I don't want a huge touristy area, does that eliminate most places?

Old 06-06-2012, 08:26 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,616,763 times
MC, I would recommend staying in Rhinelander, it's a beautiful city with lots to offer and feels less touristy than say Minocqua. While in Rhinelander you can make a trip to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and visiting the Porcupine Mountains. If you look at the images of Wisconsin go back to the section of the thread from around 2008-2009 I posted a few Rhinelander pictures. You will not regret your visit there.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:55 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,891,737 times
We're going to Tomahawk in a couple of weeks. I'll post when we get back on how it was.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:01 PM

404 posts, read 898,706 times
Default The Northwoods

I have spent a fair amount of time in the Northwoods and would like to share. Mostly out in the woods or canoeing the lakes and small rivers. I know the area around Eagle River, Three Lakes, the Chain of Lakes, the Deerskin River, the Wisconsin River, Rhinelander, and also the UP some. But not Woodruff / Minocqua really, though I've canoed the Manitowish and its chain.

The Northwoods; the woods, the lakes, and small rivers -- there are few "scenic view -turn here" signs to get you to the places of nature you want to be in the middle of. You could drive for hours on pretty wooded roads and be yards away from the lesser used lakes and rivers but not see where to become part of them. So I say plan a destination trip (suggestions below), then find the woods and explore. Enjoy the "amenities" of the area the first trip; Camp on the next trip. You'll want to have the knowledge of the kinder gentler places in your back pocket on the camping trips - the mosquitoes just may drive you out of the woods!

I would have the Eagle River area as a base for that first long weekend. Make reservations for everything -- If they are good, they are busy. Here are some specifics where I think you can't go wrong, as you explore and find your own favorites. It's a simple drive, just drive up Rt 41 to Oshkosh, then just follow Rt 45 to Eagle River.

I suggest: stay at a resort type inn such as
Chanticleer Inn, east of Eagle River (rent a boat there too),
or else make reservations at a common motel in Eagle River.

For a good dinner,
have a steak or pork chop dinner at the White Stag Inn (restaurant)
on Hwy 17 toward Rhinelander (the restaurant is not that far).
It's not about high class, just good food.

Have breakfast at Leif's Cafe on Wall St., or there are others right there.

Go canoeing!
Rohr's Wilderness Tours
north of Eagle River toward Conover
Canoe and Kayak the Headwaters of the Wisconsin River
I haven't yet been to this business, but I think its the only place of its kind in the area for day trip canoe rental.
I suggest an easy canoe or kayak down the Wisconsin River for a few hours.

The Wisconsin River

The Wisconsin River just calmly snakes back and forth and this might get a little boring, but still nice. The river is brown water from the natural tannins but it's clean. When you see a sandbar, park and swim! Have a waterproof bag for your camera!

And to find your woods and camping spots:
Visit the forest service offices (banker's days and hours) :::
Nicolet,
Ottawa,
Get all the forest maps, quad maps, etc you can.
Then pack a lunch and go out into those back roads through the Nicolet - east of Eagle River / Three Lakes.
ps that's if you like trees.
pps these roads are not 2 cars wide.

Drive east on 70, south on Military Rd, then off onto the forest service roads. You might not have cell service.

There is plenty of woods and National Forest, but you are not going to just find a camping spot on the side of the road. The National Forest may have some places with trails per a map. It's a Forest though, not a Park. It's not like Kettle Moraine that is hiker friendly.

Kettle Moraine (north) (not the Northwoods)

National Forests mix in and out with private property. If you explore you can find some spots to camp, and with your maps, figuring out which is Forest Service land.

For just that pretty drive on a road lined with birch trees and balsam woods, go down to Three Lakes (for the Cranberry Winery tour?), ... then on the way back, from the south end, east side of Three Lakes, drive back to Eagle River via County Hwy X, to Dam Rd., > to either Oneida Farms Rd. to 45, (or) to Ninemile Lake Rd to 70. (this is not exact so figure it out on a map) Lots of blind curves with deer around every one. ( Is the famous Meadow Ruh on this route? ...anyone? ... anyone? ) All those dirt roads you see going off - they go to someone's home and boathouse on a lake that you can't see, not to camping sites, unfortunately. Hwy X is a wonderful road for a bike ride (motorcycle), ...again though, the deer.

Hwy X, Three Lakes

There is one big downside in the northwoods at evening and night: mosquitoes, bears are not really a worry. There is nothing wrong with having the wisdom to stay at a motel and enjoy the woods by day! Or at least keep the flashlight, car keys and mastercard handy. You can come back tomorrow and pack up the tent. The Northwoods and especially the Nicolet is a mix of bogs and woods. For fewer bogs and more hardwoods, you can go a little north and just west to the Ottawa National Forest.

Sylvania area, Ottawa National Forest

The Ottawa National Forest is at the state line with the UP. For some very good remote camping, consider stepping just across the border into the UP for access to the Sylvania area of the Ottawa National Forest. It is a very special place. Limited access: Hike or canoe/kayak in only. Must register to enter, must have campsite reservations for the limited sites if camping. If the bear-mingling overnight-package is not what you are choosing out of the brochure, then here's where you hang that food and perfume way off the ground and not in your tent. The lakes' water is so clear you will see 25 feet down if the weather has been calm. From Eagle River, go just north a little on Rt 45 to Watersmeet, then west a little on 2, then to the south. Stop at Sylvania Outfitters for supplies. If/when you are ready for that 3 day canoe trip they can have everything waiting for you, freeze dried food, mess kits, tent, canoe and paddles and deliver it in the canoe to the lake's edge and push you off. Or rent backpacks if you prefer hiking. Good trails there in Sylvania for backpacking to the remote camp sites. Could be used for a long day trip of hiking.

Porcupine Mountains State Park / Presque Isle River was mentioned by someone above and it's not too much further, but I suggest make that a trip of its own. Great serious hiking and camping and views there. There is an AmericInn hotel on Lake Superior just east of the park. There's nothing up there for supplies though! Go fully supplied, gas in the car. Little or no cell service when you are in this area. I have seen bear here.

Porcupine Mountains, Lake of the Clouds

Presque Isle River

Lake Superior near the Porkies

So if you make it to the Northwoods and can't do anything else, go to the White Stag and drive back to Milwaukee! Oh and when you really find yourself hiking within the Northwoods, and your map and compass direction seem to merge you with an old logging trail, don't follow the logging trail! They will get you lost every time!

The Northwoods cities can seem a little touristy, but your trips can be as roughing it as you can make it if you know where to go. The stores and restaurants are just small businesses trying to make it in a scenic vacation area. Its not like the area is amusement rides and alligator shows. There is that Paul Bunyan breakfast. And fudge made while you watch.

Hope you make your trip and let us know what you like and post some photos!

Last edited by gv28; 07-01-2012 at 11:10 PM.. Reason: added Hwy X pic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin