Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 03:54 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,615,838 times

Advertisements

PLEASE add those pictures to Wisconsin Images thread! They are beautifil pictures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 09:35 AM

404 posts, read 898,571 times
Default on the way to the northwoods

Thank you for the compliment! I am still searching for some of my Northwoods photos.

This is stretching the thread a little: this is another picture from my visit to Kettle Moraine north, which was for me a quick woods fix on my way up to the Northwoods. It almost seems the KM forest has its own shade of green; maybe it's the glacial sediment.

One photo I am looking for is of a scene I drove through as I left KM driving west toward 41. It was a wonderful farm road scene, with long rolling hills, crops on either side of the straight road, and the picturesque farm on the far hill back to the east. It was this same holiday week on the calendar, and of course the corn was precisely Knee High. Really was a worthwhile scene to find, and I'm not sure I think it was either county F or B.

Hoping to read more from others of their favorite places and drives and fishing holes in the Northwoods.

Last edited by gv28; 07-06-2012 at 09:56 AM..

Old 07-06-2012, 02:08 PM

947 posts, read 2,424,515 times
You made my day. Thank you!

Old 07-21-2012, 12:40 PM

26 posts, read 50,463 times
Hello

I did my wildlife internship near Drummond Wisconsin (look for Hayward on a map) and if your looking for alot of natural experiences, nice hiking, sightseeing, fishing, canoeing and fairly good restaurants I strongly recommend this area. There are tons of campsights and cottages up there. Another place is Minocqua (Northwest of Rhinelander) which is more touristy but a really nice place with lots to do.

The coyotes and bears are generally nothing to worry about. If you camp just keep your food away from your tent and at least 8 feet up. (Since this is probably your first time don't go mountain man and camp out in the bush) Don't do your business near camp or water. If you are hiking keep watching the trunks of the trees. If you see claw marks (large scratches) on the bark go back. You might hear a bear, but most will not see one, if you do just go back. If you see one in the distance, walk backwards keeping your eyes on the bear. DON"T run, he can outrun you. (Keep in mind that we are bipedal or stand on two feet and for a bear this is a threat posture. In essence you are challenging the bear just by doing what we do naturally). IF you are chased which is about as likely as meeting Brad Pitt naked while your camping, you need to find a tree you can climb up that has a diameter of less than 3-4 feet. In other words if you think you could put your arms around it, thats a good tree. Mature Bears climb by grabbing on to the sides of a tree if they can't do that they can't climb it. The other thing to listen for is bleating like a sheep if you hear that go home.

Don't worry about wolves (my specialty) you will never see one and since you are probably going to camp in the summer you won't hear one either. Even if you did, they will be the ones running not you. Humans have done more harm to wolves than they ever (and I mean ever) did to us.

Don't let this scare you off. Secure camp grounds are put in the places they are for a reason. If you go to a state forest or national forest camp ground and use your head while your there you'll have a great time. When I was raising my kids I always told them. This is the animals home and you are the guest so be respectful and behave yourself.

Thanks

Wolfman24

Old 07-23-2012, 10:44 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,456,355 times
Check this place out for some interesting history:

Little Bohemia Lodge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-24-2012, 08:23 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,453,874 times
I second the opinion of renting a cabin and not camping in the woods.... so you're not worried about critters creeping in and stealing your food sources....or other stuff.

All of this talk reminds me of alot of summers vacationing in the Northwoods with my family (in the 1960s) - 7 kids and parents. We'd always find a cabin by a lake - with a dog (we didn't have dogs as kids).... it was a wonderful time and memory.

YES... Hayward area and Eagle River - where my California sister and her hubbie own their parents cabin....

Don't forget the bug spray...

Old 07-24-2012, 02:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,602 times
Quote:
The other thing to listen for is bleating like a sheep if you hear that go home.

Just out of curiousity....what animal would this be?

Old 08-01-2012, 04:59 PM

26 posts, read 50,463 times
Hello

If you have ever heard a cub calling for its mother its sounds something like a bleating sheep. If you can hear that you are way to close to both the cub(s) and/or its momma.

I got run into a lake during my internship because I heard it too late. Fortunately the mama did not come after me or my assistant and I got an early bath.

Wolfman 24

Old 08-08-2018, 10:31 AM

25 posts, read 87,669 times
How is cell service in the Northwoods? Specifically, AT&T?

Old 08-08-2018, 12:37 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,894,423 times
Take a couple of day hikes along North Country Trail in Chequamegon National Forest. Driving to and from the trailheads, you'd see townfolks and you're allowed to have a breakfast before hitting the trail and a beer after you get from it. From Copper Falls State Park to St Peter's Dome might be a good hike. If you have a single car and would need a drive back, there're NCT trail volunteers who might be willing to give you a ride back to the starting point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin