Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 11:04 PM

388 posts, read 309,782 times

Advertisements

Oh my, this brings back memories. My husband and I played WoW from the start through Pandaria, and spent some time as rather serious raiders in the 10-man content in Outlands and Lich King. We had quite a run at Ulduar, got all the way to Yogg-Saron without looking up how to do any of the fights; we loved the challenge of working out the strategies on our own.

I will sound terribly elitist but we lost interest as the game got easier and everything became very cookie-cutter. I remember one awesome pull in Zul'Aman where my survival specced hunter pulled out every trick in the book to tank an Amani Warbringer until we could battle rez our tank. Happened once on Jan'alai, too. Readiness was the best talent! Then there was tweaking gear to get to 102.4% avoidance for Karazahn to prove that paladins could in fact tank and stam was not in fact the only stat tanks needed. Those were the golden days!

We thought we'd check out Legion but ended up having a baby instead, which tends to take up the majority of one's time. I would definitely be keen to check out a legacy server, though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 10:09 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,819,098 times
I played clear back in 2004 when it came out.. have no idea what it's like now but I was not a fan of the large raids that required tons of people and some sort of daily schedule to commit to like it was a job or something.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:38 PM

35,230 posts, read 31,579,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Oh yeah, it would be awesome to actually be able to do original Naxx. You can still go to the original gateway and even see it in the background if you fly around the area, but you can't get in.
The thing is that I just don't have the time nor the patience for the huge rep grinds like original Argent Dawn.

When all that was out, I was in college. I think something called "scourgestones" dropped in Strat/Scholo that gave rep to Argent Dawn upon turn-in. I farmed Strat/Scholo tons. I had most of the original dungeon set on my main (priest/Devout) saved well before any of the Darkmoon transmog came out later.

I farmed up rank 14 on two characters in classic. One was legitimately done (and is probably the worst "work week" I've ever had) and the other was funneled to High Warlord in a PVP guild that controlled HWL access on the server at the time. I have two "Justicar" characters (exalted with all original BG factions), Grand Marshal, Hand of A'dal titles, etc.

I might do all that stuff once more for old time's sake. I won't be doing five vanilla alts and running them through the original Ony line. That stuff is as bad as balance of power for Legion artifacts.

I'll probably bite into classic for a couple of month hard, then play it rarely.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:49 PM

I reinstalled it and tried out the Pandarian story line it's actually pretty fun and the artwork and colors are awesome in the Pandarian areas. It feels like you're walking around a water color painting I give them a lot of props for their world design. It's too bad so many people don't apprecate it.

Best of all it's free until your guy hits level 20 you don't even have to subscribe. All of the expansions up to WoD are free now.. or at least they were for me on my account so that's a pretty nice win in my book.

Had my interest piqued after reading some things about the Classic/Legacy servers they're going to implement and so on. I am kind of torn because in some ways I'd like to relive the original WoW again, with a different class other than rogue (ugh) but in some ways I wouldn't because I never got to see any of the newer stuff.

The newer version is actually better in some ways and they did away with some of the annoying things and improved it over time.

I pretty much quit playing the game clear back in 2007, it's a long story but it was partially because I started playing Vanguard which came out the same month as the first WoW expansion

Last edited by wanderlust76; 12-07-2017 at 11:01 PM..

Old 12-08-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I reinstalled it and tried out the Pandarian story line it's actually pretty fun and the artwork and colors are awesome in the Pandarian areas. It feels like you're walking around a water color painting I give them a lot of props for their world design. It's too bad so many people don't apprecate it.

Best of all it's free until your guy hits level 20 you don't even have to subscribe. All of the expansions up to WoD are free now.. or at least they were for me on my account so that's a pretty nice win in my book.

Had my interest piqued after reading some things about the Classic/Legacy servers they're going to implement and so on. I am kind of torn because in some ways I'd like to relive the original WoW again, with a different class other than rogue (ugh) but in some ways I wouldn't because I never got to see any of the newer stuff.

The newer version is actually better in some ways and they did away with some of the annoying things and improved it over time.

I pretty much quit playing the game clear back in 2007, it's a long story but it was partially because I started playing Vanguard which came out the same month as the first WoW expansion
I would go ahead and buy Legion. WoD was trash and Legion does a lot for the lore.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:37 AM

4,589 posts, read 5,477,027 times
After reading this thread I logged on to see what I had in my account. For some reason, my characters were all gone except for a level 90 Unholy Death Knight. Didnt play it but just seeing it make me want to reinstall and play again.

Old 12-08-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I would go ahead and buy Legion. WoD was trash and Legion does a lot for the lore.
I don't know if I'll ever have another high level guy so I'm not quite sure it would even be worth it to me to pay for Legion. I don't want my old rogue other than the gold that's on him but I'm not paying the server transfer fee to get to the server I want.

Right now I just wanted to make a panda priest and run around and see some of the new zones that I never saw before.

I'd like to see some of the higher level stuff but I don't want to see the max level stuff, I want to see the level 80ish - 100ish stuff but most groups don't run that anymore. In a way, it's a bad time to get back into the game if you're someone like me.

The best option for me would be a progression server that unlocks expansions over time, on a schedule. Which is what I'm hoping the Classic servers will be... but I don't really know.

Old 12-12-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I don't know if I'll ever have another high level guy so I'm not quite sure it would even be worth it to me to pay for Legion. I don't want my old rogue other than the gold that's on him but I'm not paying the server transfer fee to get to the server I want.

Right now I just wanted to make a panda priest and run around and see some of the new zones that I never saw before.

I'd like to see some of the higher level stuff but I don't want to see the max level stuff, I want to see the level 80ish - 100ish stuff but most groups don't run that anymore. In a way, it's a bad time to get back into the game if you're someone like me.

The best option for me would be a progression server that unlocks expansions over time, on a schedule. Which is what I'm hoping the Classic servers will be... but I don't really know.
I don't think people really want that. If it happens, it will be awhile after classic launches, probably at least a year. I wouldn't expect a "staggered" server before 2020.

There are websites like openraid.us and the "achievements discord" (google it) where people organize lower level raids at their intended levels. They are absolutely trivial today with class and talent changes, but the content is still there.

You can turn off leveling to fully finish quest zones if you want to. There is new leveling tech coming out where more zones will scale to your level, not whatever level they were originally released at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games