Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 07:31 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,864,111 times

Advertisements

Just out of curiosity, how's the BP oil spill playing out on the news in England. Is Bp as unpopular over there as they are in the USA right now?

Old 05-31-2010, 09:17 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,119,241 times
It is killing all the plant, bird, animal and fish life.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:17 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,947,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
In England?

Old 06-01-2010, 02:56 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,936,785 times
And lets not forget that people died on the platform when it exploded.

Somehow they don't seem to matter, judging from the coverage and hysteria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post

Old 06-01-2010, 11:05 AM

521 posts, read 1,474,257 times
It's getting huge play over here - it's high up in every news bulletin and has extensive newspaper coverage.

Can't say BP is hated by anyone (apart from the usual 'green' brigade who would be happy to see us all living in the stone age again if they got their way. I honestly have no interest in wearing hemp underpants and eating mung beans so they can all go and do one thank you very much).

However, one thing I did notice was the propensity of American politicians to stress that this was British Petroleum. It came across to me as almost a race thing - blame the Limeys, they're a right set of b'strds.

They haven't been British Petroleum for years - there name is actually BP. Changed it when they merged with Amoco IIRC, so stressing the British aspect does annoy me a bit.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:43 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,553,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie Bar View Post
It's getting huge play over here - it's high up in every news bulletin and has extensive newspaper coverage.

Can't say BP is hated by anyone (apart from the usual 'green' brigade who would be happy to see us all living in the stone age again if they got their way. I honestly have no interest in wearing hemp underpants and eating mung beans so they can all go and do one thank you very much).

However, one thing I did notice was the propensity of American politicians to stress that this was British Petroleum. It came across to me as almost a race thing - blame the Limeys, they're a right set of b'strds.

They haven't been British Petroleum for years - there name is actually BP. Changed it when they merged with Amoco IIRC, so stressing the British aspect does annoy me a bit.
Fair, but given that the CEO speaks with a very noticable British accent, I can see why folks are making that connection.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:09 PM

767 posts, read 2,294,435 times
Quote:
From the YAHOO finanicial page

BP plc
1 St James's Square
London, SW1Y 4PD
United Kingdom - Map
Phone: 44 20 7496 4000
Fax: 44 20 7496 4630

Old 06-01-2010, 03:16 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,122,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
Just out of curiosity, how's the BP oil spill playing out on the news in England. Is Bp as unpopular over there as they are in the USA right now?
England is a country apart of the UK, United Kingdom which includes N Ireland, Wales and Scotland.

The United Kingdom is not ENGLAND.

And yes it is big news in Scotland, but BP were also under U.S law/regulations both are to blame not just BP. What more could we expect from greedy oil companies.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:12 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,780,185 times
Quote:

That's the same as when I mention fat people eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken, instead of KFC. My friends from Ky totally get riled up about that.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:14 PM

16,697 posts, read 17,468,209 times
Ah, yes,

Those big greedy oil companies that are forcing us to use their products, and putting money into local economies.

My take is that given the lack of US legislation on oil exploration this was an accident waiting to happen, and it happened to happen to a company sub contracted by BP.

And I'm not here to defend oil companies, I just find it a bit galling when people want their cake and eat it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom