Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 04:49 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,408,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie Bar View Post
It's getting huge play over here - it's high up in every news bulletin and has extensive newspaper coverage.

Can't say BP is hated by anyone (apart from the usual 'green' brigade who would be happy to see us all living in the stone age again if they got their way. I honestly have no interest in wearing hemp underpants and eating mung beans so they can all go and do one thank you very much).

However, one thing I did notice was the propensity of American politicians to stress that this was British Petroleum. It came across to me as almost a race thing - blame the Limeys, they're a right set of b'strds.

They haven't been British Petroleum for years - there name is actually BP. Changed it when they merged with Amoco IIRC, so stressing the British aspect does annoy me a bit.
If it were Exxon dumping millions of gallons on your coast, you'd be even more annoyed.

I think the Yanks are showing remarkable restraint.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:47 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,581,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
but BP were also under U.S law/regulations both are to blame not just BP.
BP also threw a lot of money at U.S. politicians in an effort to reduce/minimize said laws/regulations.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:22 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,982,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
BP also threw a lot of money at U.S. politicians in an effort to reduce/minimize said laws/regulations.
As did all the US oil companies. It could just as easily have been an Exxon rig which was being run by Haliburton and Transocean as a BP one.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
As did all the US oil companies. It could just as easily have been an Exxon rig which was being run by Haliburton and Transocean as a BP one.
Very true. But it wasn't.

Don't get me wrong, the lax regulation was pitiful.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:22 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,670,987 times
BP isn't British Petroleum, it's Big Profits.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:32 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,514,315 times
Yuk yuk.

Really adds a lot to the discourse.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:11 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,717,991 times
Did'nt President Obama also blame the US Minerals & Management service, who he said had "been plagued by corruption for years."

Old 06-06-2010, 04:16 AM

521 posts, read 1,476,230 times
It seems my opinion on the way the US political system has attempted to blame Britain for this mess has met with a great deal of derision on this thread.

But I'm not actually alone in noticing it though:

Stop blaming UK for BP oil spill disaster: Cable hits out at America | Mail Online

DAILY MAIL COMMENT: BP disaster exposes a faultline with Obama | Mail Online

Mind you, I'm not sure what it says about me when I find the Daily Mail agreeing with me.

I stand by what I said though - The US political elite is trying to pin the blame on Britain. Whilst the whole thing is a disaster it was an international oil company (none of which are renowned for their environmental concerns) operating in a country with lax regulations (and the regulations were lax because the oil companies had bought the politicians acquiescence). To repeatedly blame British Petroleum is a desperate attempt to cover up their own failings.

Now don't get me wrong, it is terrible for the environment, wildlife and the people that earn their living from the area. More could and should be done and BP should be made to pay. But Obama is blaming the UK to save face and cover up his own mistakes. And I actually like him, so I'm not some GOP cynic having a go.

And the story is still get in big coverage over here.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:45 AM

16,761 posts, read 17,529,149 times
I'm glad to see we're back on topic.

I think your post seems reasonable Yorkie, though I can't bear to bring myself to read an article in the Daily Mail.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie Bar View Post
The US political elite is trying to pin the blame on Britain.
Baloney. They're blaming it on BP, and they may be, at times, incorrectly stating British Petroleum. If that's considered an attack on Britain or on Britain's government, then I suggest you stop being so paranoid and/or sensitive. If British officials criticize American Airlines, we don't consider it a criticism of the U.S. or the U.S. government. Seriously, get real.

Although, I found this interesting in one of the stories you linked:

"By seeking repeatedly to blame a British company for the disaster...."

Apparently the Daily Mail needs to get on board with the idea that BP is an international corporation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom