Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2021, 06:31 PM

824 posts, read 410,411 times

Advertisements

Brits in Europe can't get custard.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/business-55985956

Brexit worse than feared.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-55997641
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2021, 07:12 AM

27,614 posts, read 13,816,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastafellow View Post
Brits in Europe can't get custard.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/business-55985956

Brexit worse than feared.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-55997641
There are no shortages in supermarkets in the UK.

The UK has a deal with the EU and if there is a problem there is a resolution mechanism.

If the EU wants to be protectionist in terms of certain products then they can be replaced by other products, and there was always going to be some readjustment, and there will be further readjustment as new deals are made, and the UK starts to make more of it's own rules and regulations.

As for M&S, they are not reliant on shops in Europe, and most of their shops are in the UK, whilst there international shops are spread out across the world, with the latest openings being in India. The same is true of other UK Supermarkets such as Tesco which has a large presence in the Far East as well as Eastern Europe, howver it also should be noted that there are a lot of European retailers such as Aldi and Lidl supermarkets in the UK.

As for Sports wear companies there goods are usually made in China, and the companies often pay extremely low wages to East Europeans who work in there vast warehouses, so excuse me if I don't cry a river for the likes of J.D Sport or Sports Direct.

Supply chains will change, as will markets, indeed that was the whole point of Brexit, and there will be some problems but in the grand scheme of things having to forgo Custard Creams is hardly the end of the world. I also very much doubt that it's Brits in Europe being effected by much of this.

These are the same project fear stories that have been running since the run up to the 2016 Brexit vote.

Last edited by Brave New World; 02-13-2021 at 07:35 AM..

Old 02-13-2021, 11:22 AM

14,835 posts, read 12,131,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

The UK has a deal with the EU and if there is a problem there is a resolution mechanism.

If the EU wants to be protectionist in terms of certain products then they can be replaced by other products, and there was always going to be some readjustment, and there will be further readjustment as new deals are made, and the UK starts to make more of it's own rules and regulations.

As for M&S, they are not reliant on shops in Europe, and most of their shops are in the UK, whilst there international shops are spread out across the world, with the latest openings being in India. The same is true of other UK Supermarkets such as Tesco which has a large presence in the Far East as well as Eastern Europe, howver it also should be noted that there are a lot of European retailers such as Aldi and Lidl supermarkets in the UK.

As for Sports wear companies there goods are usually made in China, and the companies often pay extremely low wages to East Europeans who work in there vast warehouses, so excuse me if I don't cry a river for the likes of J.D Sport or Sports Direct.

Supply chains will change, as will markets, indeed that was the whole point of Brexit, and there will be some problems but in the grand scheme of things having to forgo Custard Creams is hardly the end of the world. I also very much doubt that it's Brits in Europe being effected by much of this.

These are the same project fear stories that have been running since the run up to the 2016 Brexit vote.
Brexit going REALLY well here BNW, NO shortages of ANYTHING (obviously), 15 million people vaccinated while Greater Germany stumbles around in the dark (they will have to go the China route to try and 'save face) Macron's going into meltdown lol! Markets are up, huge growth expected over the next year, are we seriously supposed to worry about the French not being able to get their hands on custard (something they'll only look down their long noses at anyway!) Thanks to the Oxford AZ vaccine this country should begin to 'open' up again shortly and we can start repairing the damage Covid has done.

Old 02-13-2021, 11:33 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,588,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

Have the empty shelf problems in N.I. been resolved?

Old 02-13-2021, 11:39 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,588,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Yeah yeah whatever, just get back to us when London isn't one of the top two worlds financial centres.
That may be sooner than you think. In addition to share trading moving to Amsterdam, in January, London's market share of EU derivative trading fell from 40% to 10% with New York picking up the most.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/brexi...075711621.html

Old 02-13-2021, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
Have the empty shelf problems in N.I. been resolved?
Yeah of course! Anyway the problem with that part of the world is its 'the other side' of the border. Obviously 'Greater Germany' is trying to make life as difficult as possible but have you noticed that unfortunately for them all of the 'fails' tend to be 'Greater Germany's' side of the border!!
Everything 'this side' of the border is going really well (like we knew it would), not only that things are forecasted to get better and better (this side of the border), obviously Covid has been the real 'spanner in the works' but thanks to the marvelous job the scientists, politians and healthworkers have done we should shortly be 'bouncing back' from Covid fairly soon (though I will admit that Covid does keep coming back with 'nasty surprises', lets hope there are no more).

Old 02-15-2021, 03:05 AM

602 posts, read 499,508 times
Quote:
Yeah of course! Anyway the problem with that part of the world is its 'the other side' of the border. Obviously 'Greater Germany' is trying to make life as difficult as possible but have you noticed that unfortunately for them all of the 'fails' tend to be 'Greater Germany's' side of the border!!
Everything 'this side' of the border is going really well (like we knew it would), not only that things are forecasted to get better and better (this side of the border), obviously Covid has been the real 'spanner in the works' but thanks to the marvelous job the scientists, politians and healthworkers have done we should shortly be 'bouncing back' from Covid fairly soon (though I will admit that Covid does keep coming back with 'nasty surprises', lets hope there are no more).
According to The Road Haulage Association 65-75% of vehicles arriving from the EU were returning to the bloc empty.

Empty.

That is your export. Saying Brexit is "going really well" is completely decoupled reality.

Old 02-15-2021, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDentist View Post
According to The Road Haulage Association 65-75% of vehicles arriving from the EU were returning to the bloc empty.

Empty.

That is your export. Saying Brexit is "going really well" is completely decoupled reality.
There are NO shortages in the UK, the Dutch are taking away truck drivers sandwiches (funny I don't remember them being so pedantic when the British arrived in 1945), why? It's just pure childish actions, indicative of the whole EU, that's why, the only shortages are IN the EU, they're trying, hoping and praying that the people in the UK suffer as much as as possible, it's nasty, it's spiteful, it's what we expected this side of the channel,. Unfortunately for you and all the nasty b*stards 'over there' it ain't happening, what is happening is we are flying ahead in vaccinations and setting up new deals with shall we say 'more appreciative' countries, we DONT have the shortages our neighbours were hoping and praying for, I would advise the EU to give up on their nasty vendetta's it's starting to open up people's eyes to their nasty bullying tactics, it's damaging the EU itself FAR more than the UK.

Old 02-15-2021, 04:21 AM

602 posts, read 499,508 times
Quote:
There are NO shortages in the UK, the Dutch are taking away truck drivers sandwiches (funny I don't remember them being so pedantic when the British arrived in 1945), why? It's just pure childish actions, indicative of the whole EU, that's why, the only shortages are IN the EU, they're trying, hoping and praying that the people in the UK suffer as much as as possible, it's nasty, it's spiteful, it's what we expected this side of the channel,. Unfortunately for you and all the nasty b*stards 'over there' it ain't happening, what is happening is we are flying ahead in vaccinations and setting up new deals with shall we say 'more appreciative' countries, we DONT have the shortages our neighbours were hoping and praying for, I would advise the EU to give up on their nasty vendetta's it's starting to open up people's eyes to their nasty bullying tactics, it's damaging the EU itself FAR more than the UK.
You don't have shortages because the UK does not enforce customs check right now. That pending dumpster fire is currently scheduled the 1. of April.

Anyway: Truck goes into the UK full of goods, it returns to the EU empty. This is the case for 7 out 10 trucks according to The Road Haulage Association. You say things are "going really well" - I don't think so.

Old 02-15-2021, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDentist View Post
You don't have shortages because the UK does not enforce customs check right now. That pending dumpster fire is currently scheduled the 1. of April.

Anyway: Truck goes into the UK full of goods, it returns to the EU empty. This is the case for 7 out 10 trucks according to The Road Haulage Association. You say things are "going really well" - I don't think so.
I somehow doubt the UK customs will be confiscating the Dutch truck drivers sandwiches when they do! We are not so childish, in the meantime the pound is at a four year high against the dollar, the pound is also up against nearly every other currency, they are looking to open up the country from lockdown in March, things are looking pretty good and there are NO shortages in the UK. How is the vaccinations going in the EU? Have they managed to beg China for any yet? Unlike our Euro 'friends' though I do wish them all the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom