Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2022, 04:33 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,467,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
So where was the son born? To me, that would be the determinant of which nation he represents.
His son was born in Florida,USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2022, 04:35 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,467,480 times
can we ask why are there so many foreign born doctors treating us in this country?
I have seen Indian,Finnish,Mexican,Peruvian,Egyptian,Chilean doctors

Old 11-25-2022, 04:58 PM

2,208 posts, read 2,150,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
LOL champ ever heard of figurative speech? I am truly at a loss how anyone would ever take that statement in a literal sense.
No, I've never heard of a figure of speech. You mean like using a term to put something in a context based upon the term but not meaning it literally. so you meant by stealing, that its all roses and you encourage every team to do this and do not give it any negative aspect at all. Thanks for clearing it up.

I agree, there is nothing at all negative about it and all nations should be encouraged to steal other players. Just unusual to choose that figure of speech for something you so clearly support with all you being.

Old 11-25-2022, 05:01 PM

Quote:
If the rule was you can only represent the nation where you were born, then getting to choose who you represent isn't allowed. Your nation of birth isn't fluid. Deciding you are a citizen of nation X because of some familial lineage is shaky at best. But it appears the soccer powers to be allow it, so teams to it to their advantage. And people like me will question how someone born in nation X gets to play for a team that represents nation Y.
And that would be taking a player's choice from them. something I would never support. Its disgusting to me. Your citizenship is 100% fluid. And your comment that citizenship based on "some familial lineage is shaky at best" tells me all I need to know about you.

Old 11-25-2022, 05:41 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,525,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
And that would be taking a player's choice from them. something I would never support. Its disgusting to me. Your citizenship is 100% fluid. And your comment that citizenship based on "some familial lineage is shaky at best" tells me all I need to know about you.
You don't get to choose your nation of birth.

Trust me, you know very little about me there strange one. But I'll share this with you.

Years ago my son represented his nation of birth's team in international competition in 2 very different sports. They had a U19 category teams. All the team mates were native born. Now many of the coaches were foreigners because they possessed superior knowledge when compared to the home grown coaches. But only the players required that nation's passport and authorization to participate. Talent wise they could have built a far better team by going to other nations to find better players. But that defeats the purpose of improving your local talent.

I respect all the MLB & NBA international players that choose to represent their home nations in international play. Many of them could find loopholes to play for Team USA. I'm sure there is a level of comfort playing with people that share your language and culture.

Old 11-25-2022, 08:44 PM

15,407 posts, read 7,468,300 times
Quote:
So where was the son born? To me, that would be the determinant of which nation he represents.
So someone born to American parents teaching at the American School in London should play for England? Every one of the players on the US team is an American citizen, and the US does not grant citizenship just to allow someone to play on a US national team.

Old 11-26-2022, 07:29 AM

10,640 posts, read 16,021,486 times
I think the rule should be...

-Born in country + 1 year of living
or
-Speaks language and understands culture, Not born in country but lived in country for at least 10 years (6 years if one parent was born there, only 3 years if both parents were born there)

Last edited by Davy-040; 11-26-2022 at 07:38 AM..

Old 11-26-2022, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
I think the rule should be...

-Born in country + 1 year of living
or
-Speaks language and understands culture, Not born in country but lived in country for at least 10 years (6 years if one parent was born there, only 3 years if both parents were born there)
Any requirement that someone speaks any language that another person imposes upon them in my opinion is disgusting and repulsive. I love freedom, including choice to speak whatever language I want. I fought for that, my father fought for that, both my grandfathers fought for that. But fortunately no such requirements exist or in my opinion ever will.

If anyone wants to read a good summary, here they are: https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/fifa...h1jfved27pg4go

Old 11-26-2022, 11:35 AM

10,640 posts, read 16,021,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
Any requirement that someone speaks any language that another person imposes upon them in my opinion is disgusting and repulsive. I love freedom, including choice to speak whatever language I want. I fought for that, my father fought for that, both my grandfathers fought for that. But fortunately no such requirements exist or in my opinion ever will.
I mean it's pretty standard to speak the language of the country you are playing for.
Makes it a lot easier especially at practice.
Imagine having a player in the USA national football team that doesn't speak any English, you don't think that's strange?
I'm all for freedom to speak any language you like but not within a national team.

Old 11-27-2022, 07:24 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
I mean it's pretty standard to speak the language of the country you are playing for.
Makes it a lot easier especially at practice.
Imagine having a player in the USA national football team that doesn't speak any English, you don't think that's strange?
I'm all for freedom to speak any language you like but not within a national team.

In 2022? It wouldn't be particularly surprising to have a player who spoke Spanish and not much English. There are lots of places in South Florida and around the Mexican border where English isn't the primary language.

Ben Brereton plays for Chile. He doesn't speak Spanish. Or at least he didn't. He's had some Spanish language lessons and knows the national anthem. His mother and grandfather are Chilean. He was born in Stoke-on-Trent. He plays for Blackburn and has lived in Lancashire for a bunch of years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer