Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2022, 07:28 AM

536 posts, read 323,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Many African players were born and raised in France.
Yes, but they were too weak to play for France, so they opted for their parents countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2022, 09:35 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,929,380 times
This is suppose to be about USA team, and I just posted the roster. Most are not born outside US.

Old 11-25-2022, 09:55 AM

2,208 posts, read 2,150,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
I can understand the pride you would feel representing your home nation on the international stage. But a lot of these players are foreign born. You would think a team representing the US of A would actually have players that were born in America. I understand the concept of getting the best players possible. I'm surprised their home nations don't cry foul at team America poaching better players to represent the red, white and blue. You see the same thing with the Olympics. Someone runs fast or jumps high. Fast track them to citizenship so they can win you a few medals. It sort of flies in the face of fair competition. Isn't that a tenet of the Olympics?
What are you talking about? I think the only Team USA mens soccer player not born either in the USA or born as a child to a United States Citizen is Jesus Ferreira, who came here as a child with his unbelievably talented soccer playing father, grew up in Texas, became a US Citizen and plays for his home country USA.

There are 4 more.
Antonee Robinson was born in England, but his dad was a US Citizen.
Sergiño Dest was likewise born overseas in the Netherlands, but was born to a US citizen father as well.
Cameron Carter-Vickers is another son of a US Citizen who has played for the US National teams youth programs since we was 15 years old.
Gio Reyna was also born to two US Citizen parents, born while his amazingly skilled dad was playing professional soccer for Sunderland. when his dad finished there his family moved back Bedford, New York.

I fail to see how any of these players, who are ALL United States Citizens, should be discriminated against. They are US Citizens, born to US parents, just like me. They are as American as I am. That lots of people live around the world, have a family with someone from a different nation, does not mean that their kids are not American. There are NO non-citizens on the US Soccer team.

Old 11-25-2022, 03:25 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,496,471 times
I think every team steals other players, Australia is particularly good at stealing players from Scotland. 3 players in the current Australian team were born and raised in Scotland, and had never been to Australia until they were asked to play for Australia. However are eligible to play for Australia because their father/mother were born in Australia. They have less connection to Australia than the 3 black Africans in the squad who were all born in Refgee camps before been resettled and growing up in Australia.

On the other hand a particularly talented 18 year old who was born and raised in Sydney, to Italian parents turned down the opportunity to represent Australia.

Old 11-25-2022, 03:40 PM

2,208 posts, read 2,150,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
I think every team steals other players, Australia is particularly good at stealing players from Scotland. 3 players in the current Australian team were born and raised in Scotland, and had never been to Australia until they were asked to play for Australia. However are eligible to play for Australia because their father/mother were born in Australia. They have less connection to Australia than the 3 black Africans in the squad who were all born in Refgee camps before been resettled and growing up in Australia.

On the other hand a particularly talented 18 year old who was born and raised in Sydney, to Italian parents turned down the opportunity to represent Australia.
I thin it is absolutely hysterical that anyone would consider what you describe as STEALING a player. That a player has the sole and exclusive right to decide for themselves which national team they can play for, and even have the right to switch, depending on their age, one time, its is simply NEVER stealing anyone. Instead, the players, who are the only ones that matter, get the exclusive right to decide what is the best fit for them. If their parents (or grandparents in some cases) are citizens of a country, they are citizens of that country by birth. You cannot steal a person. A person makes a choice. All nations try to get the best possible players for their team. Why would they try to get lesser talented players. I truly am at a loss here.

Old 11-25-2022, 03:57 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,496,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
I thin it is that anyone would consider what you describe as STEALING a player. That a player has the sole and exclusive right to decide for themselves which national team they can play for, and even have the right to switch, depending on their age, one time, its is simply NEVER stealing anyone. Instead, the players, who are the only ones that matter, get the exclusive right to decide what is the best fit for them. If their parents (or grandparents in some cases) are citizens of a country, they are citizens of that country by birth. You cannot steal a person. A person makes a choice. All nations try to get the best possible players for their team. Why would they try to get lesser talented players. I truly am at a loss here.
LOL champ ever heard of figurative speech? I am truly at a loss how anyone would ever take that statement in a literal sense.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 11-25-2022 at 04:28 PM..

Old 11-25-2022, 04:19 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,525,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
This is suppose to be about USA team, and I just posted the roster. Most are not born outside US.
I'd consider 20% of a team's roster a lot. Most was never mentioned. 1 player was born while his ghanian mom was in the US on vacation. So while technically a US citizen, he was raised in Italy & England.

I do see it's not just the US that takes great strides in getting around the rule of who gets to represent your nation. Why not just let all the nations fight over the most talented players. Because that's what they are doing on a micro level.

At the end of the day, the only way America wins the world cup is to take the best dozen players in the world, make them citizens then play for the cup.

Old 11-25-2022, 04:24 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,467,480 times
A Spanish guy who emigrated from Spain to Florida USA,one of his sons is a swimmer,he represented Spain in the Olympic race.
It is the father 's idea .

Old 11-25-2022, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
a player has the sole and exclusive right to decide for themselves which national team they can play for
If the rule was you can only represent the nation where you were born, then getting to choose who you represent isn't allowed. Your nation of birth isn't fluid. Deciding you are a citizen of nation X because of some familial lineage is shaky at best. But it appears the soccer powers to be allow it, so teams to it to their advantage. And people like me will question how someone born in nation X gets to play for a team that represents nation Y.

Old 11-25-2022, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
A Spanish guy who emigrated from Spain to Florida USA,one of his sons is a swimmer,he represented Spain in the Olympic race.
It is the father 's idea .
So where was the son born? To me, that would be the determinant of which nation he represents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer