Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2024, 11:37 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times

Advertisements

https://fox5sandiego.com/news/local-...y-94m-deficit/

SDUSD officials learned of the budget shortfall, which was then estimated to be around $130 million, for the 2024-25 school year last June. According to the district, the gap was caused by a number of factors, including the expiration of COVID-era funds and a tightening of revenue from Sacramento due to a statewide budget deficit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2024, 12:10 PM

5,733 posts, read 4,688,017 times
I remember seeing a report in the last year or so detailing how CA used to spend the majority of every dollar in their budget on teachers; but in the last 20 years or so, the unions have inflated the bureaucratic ranks so much that now teachers only get like .10 cents of every dollar and union bureaucrats get the rest.

Pretty disgusting.

Old 03-07-2024, 12:36 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
There are 2 non-educators for every teacher in SDUSD. They are super bloated with admin. There are still a lot of people in non-instructional support roles related to COVID era stuff. A lot of people need to retire too. I don't think you'll see many teachers cut in this round.

Old 03-07-2024, 03:22 PM

9,820 posts, read 11,536,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
I remember seeing a report in the last year or so detailing how CA used to spend the majority of every dollar in their budget on teachers; but in the last 20 years or so, the unions have inflated the bureaucratic ranks so much that now teachers only get like .10 cents of every dollar and union bureaucrats get the rest.

Pretty disgusting.
Most upper administrator jobs and Supervisor, Director, management positions are Non Union positions, at least at the College level.
You are correct on the numbers,but you're off on the why.
The upper administrators are al most like the Mafia. As long as you don't turn your back on the family, you can never be fired. They do a good job of looking out for each other at the top.
Mrs Hitman works for Southwestern Community College and is one of these elites

Old 03-07-2024, 03:32 PM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Here's is my thoughts
Most schools districts are way, and i mean way too heavy on the upper administrative side. Those should be the jobs that are cut 1st Imo, not the lunch lady, or the janitors. Most Schools don't need 2 Principals and 3 vice Principals, Yes I'm looking at you Lincoln high school.
It gets even crazier at the college level. How may Vice chancellor, Vice Presidents and Deans does one college need?
And you wonder why College Tuition's is so high
The number of staff will depend on the size of the school, but a High School will generally need a Principal and a Vice Principal for the school, and an Assistant Principal for each grade. Otherwise, you have too many people reporting to one person. In Middle and Elementary, the numbers can be lower.

Old 03-07-2024, 03:38 PM

5,733 posts, read 4,688,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Most upper administrator jobs and Supervisor, Director, management positions are Non Union positions, at least at the College level.
You are correct on the numbers,but you're off on the why.
The upper administrators are al most like the Mafia. As long as you don't turn your back on the family, you can never be fired. They do a good job of looking out for each other at the top.
Mrs Hitman works for Southwestern Community College and is one of these elites
The report I read was primarily about elementary up to high school. I don't recall any mention of college in it.

Old 03-07-2024, 05:48 PM

148 posts, read 104,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Or.. as the covid money dries up?
Sure I guess that is a factor but it doesn't add a positive spin; being reliant on one time gov "stimulus" is not a hallmark of a sustainable system.

Old 03-07-2024, 09:33 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The number of staff will depend on the size of the school, but a High School will generally need a Principal and a Vice Principal for the school, and an Assistant Principal for each grade. Otherwise, you have too many people reporting to one person. In Middle and Elementary, the numbers can be lower.
The high school I attended didn't have an Assistant Principal, and I don't think my education suffered from the deficit. Maybe it was too small for an Asst Prince. It was 1200 students.

Old 03-08-2024, 06:47 AM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
The high school I attended didn't have an Assistant Principal, and I don't think my education suffered from the deficit. Maybe it was too small for an Asst Prince. It was 1200 students.
There are a lot of State mandated things to be done these days that increase the workloads on school administrators. that drives the need for an Asst Principal.

Old 03-08-2024, 05:33 PM

9,820 posts, read 11,536,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
The report I read was primarily about elementary up to high school. I don't recall any mention of college in it.
Well i added colleges
K-12 are a microcosm of colleges
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego