Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2013, 08:46 PM

2 posts, read 7,724 times

Advertisements

For the entire year of 2012 my family and I researched home prices, jobs, crime rates ect in the entire state of oregon. Reason being my father in Portland & my husbands mother in Calif geting up in age & my father needing assistance we needed to move from the Tampa Bay area here to help our aging generation as he refused to move to Florida.
We uprooted our grown sons & their families, my husband left a 25 year career with the same company and we moved to Salem figuring it was the better and afforadable choice......
Even though at the economic worse here... 100 year old home prices after remodling are grossly higher than Florida 10 year old newer homes..... We sold our newer home in Fl. (beautiful) for a forclosed 100 year old home in Salem and immediatly started remodling.
The day we pulled up in front of our home to unload we were greeted by a neighbor who warned us about a meth addict living accross the street from us and a different neighbor who advised us our home was an empty crack house, the realtor didnt tell us that (thanks by the way)....I wanted to get back in the uhaul and drive back......we should have!!!!!!
First I found a DVD from a video store in my back yard that appears to have been there a few weeks. I assume a local video store was ripped off and my house being empty at the time was being used as a pass thru or hide out to escape. Then it was 1 week later finding new beer cans in my back yard between my house & my shed (about 6 feet), apparently someone was on my property during the night drinking in my back yard. Then two months after getting here my mail was stolen from my mailbox on my porch.....right next to my front door and a fraudulant check written on my credit card account as a result. I had to scrambled to close accounts & reopen new ones...buying a PO BOX and after going thru a 3200 mile move & already do 1 address change I had to do it all again! I was not & am not happy!
I LISTENED to all those on this forum about how "crime rates were dropping based on new laws passed" and how is was a "sleepy little town and will always be".....................I think you all are incorrect and my entire family is disgusted with this town already. We will be selling our home soon as we have only lived in it a few months....we have taken controversial steps to protect ourselves in case anyone wants to break in (were expecting it at this point...how sad is that) and we all all going to class to further that protection. But in the meantime while we ask ourselves WHY DID WE DO THIS? I advise others come and stay awhile before you decide to move here and I also ask the city of Salem & Marion county...WHAT IS GOING ON HERE & WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO STOP IT and ARE YOUR STATISTIC REAL? Because we absolutly dont think so.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 12:04 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,396,822 times
It would seem you did not listen to those who tell it like it is, and you did not research the neighborhood you landed in. Salem is a sleepy town. Drug issues are not bad as far as the rest of the state goes. But there are pockets and neighborhoods you don't want to live in. I think your real issue may be "This is not Florida". Never listen to the Realestate Agents.

Bottom line is "It isn't Salem, it is where you are living" and again "This ain't Florida".

Old 01-02-2013, 02:15 PM

2 posts, read 7,724 times
Steve, you misunderstand..We don't have "this isnt Fl" regret. We were all to happy to start a new life with our large family over this way as we were alone there for the last 20 years so your making an assumption of my family you shouldn't as you do not know us personally. But thats ok I won't hold it against you I am not judgemental but a mature women in mt 40's and know better than to behave that way.
Also, we did Reasearch down to the very zip code and the area we chose was the zip code with the "lowest crime rates". The real bottom line is....dont believe statisics or other people posts .......come experience it for yourself before making the decision based on published data or anything else and please dont believe people who are partial because they have lived here forever. If I had to do it again I would have come and vacationed for a couple weeks and people watched before doing anything.
And in my above post I forgot to mention... while we were unloading the very first day the police did show up (Ill give them this kudos) to knock on the door of a home 3 down from me and arrest a man living there. Who know what for and I probably don't want to know.
So be wise for those reading this and come and stay first....you really need to make the decision for yourselves. Good luck and God Bless.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:00 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,641,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtosalem View Post
The real bottom line is....dont believe statisics or other people posts .......come experience it for yourself before making the decision based on published data or anything else and please dont believe people who are partial because they have lived here forever.
This is good advice if you're moving anywhere.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:00 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,396,822 times
You must be in just about the worst area of Salem, because this is all way outside the norm. It's more like something I would expect in Charleston, but not here.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:14 PM

83 posts, read 182,162 times
I have to agree with Steve. We've been here 15 months and have had nothing like your experience. We did some research and landed in a quiet neighborhood in south Salem. We are happy with where we live and with Salem in general.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:45 PM

899 posts, read 2,951,598 times
Me too agree with with the rest of you..We have been here 9 years and not had a problem..
We didn't do any research just sorta accidently found our manufactured home in a senior park
and have never looked back.We were full time RVers at the time..
I wish them well on their move..

Old 01-03-2013, 09:46 AM

15,617 posts, read 40,601,756 times
You can see crime data easily on crimereports.com Salem PD posts all of the reported crimes on there. There are some not so great pockets in Salem. Every city has those. You can't go by an entire zip code as that covers way too much area. I've lived here for 12 years and have never had issues like that, but if you have a meth addict across the street they are likely bringing in not so great people to your neighborhood.

I'm curious about what neighborhood you live in, if you don't mind sharing.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:03 PM

32,765 posts, read 48,490,883 times
I'm guessing that you did not call the non-emergency number for 911 and give them the address and ask for criminal activity in the area. Lack of due diligence on your part.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:47 AM

1 posts, read 3,726 times
Sure theres a meth problem in Salem but not anymore than any other place in the country.
I was a Oregon transplant from Florida for a year and moved back to the panhandle to help with some family issues but are currently in the process of moving back to Salem from Florida for the second time and cannot wait......the drugs are wayyyyy worse here.
I would feel more uncomfortable living in Tampa than Salem......there are too many great things about the area........and cannot wait for my family to get back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem