Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 02:24 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,341,146 times

Advertisements

South Salem is one of the safest areas so you should feel safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 01:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,192 times
I thought South Salem was safe also, until there was a SWAT mission that had a street closed by my place for nearly 2 hours Friday night. Authorities remained at the residence for more than four hours. In speaking with an officer, I learned a warrant was being served for suspects in a burglary. Too many bodies for burglary search warrant... sorry. I think that was a partial truth so neighbors would not be scared. Multiple arrests were made that evening. Two days later there were 6 gunshots from the same house serve with the warrant. I spoke with one of the neighbors and he told me they were shooting guns in the back yard leading to more arrests. After speaking to another neighbor, I discovered that residence has many gang affiliates who either live or associate there.

Yes, there will be pockets of crime anywhere you live. I am really impressed with how the Salem Police Department handled the situation. I wish I would have received more information from them to better understand what happened for my personal safety, but I also respect in an ongoing investigation certain details need to be left out. I have tried to do several searches on that house and street to learn about what happened to no avail. crimereports.com isn't updated yet because there is a delay posting the information. I resorted in speaking with neighbors, which sometimes will give you the best raw information.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:30 AM

It was just a warrant. Why the conspiracy theory?

Old 03-31-2014, 03:13 PM

5 posts, read 9,033 times
I live in se Salem I can tell all of you there is major drug dealing going on at taco bell on commercial and dede's. He is a older guy shirt chunky he deals tons of meth and pills. He is running with a girl named Jamie blond. The cops here in Salem don't care he doesn't hide what he does. It's things like this that make us wondering about our justice system.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantgetright View Post
I live in se Salem I can tell all of you there is major drug dealing going on at taco bell on commercial and dede's. He is a older guy shirt chunky he deals tons of meth and pills. He is running with a girl named Jamie blond. The cops here in Salem don't care he doesn't hide what he does. It's things like this that make us wondering about our justice system.

So use your real name and drop a dime. It ain't rocket science. There are not a lot of cops frequent this forum.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:42 AM

3 posts, read 5,261 times
I am checking in from Springfield where I am a little supicious about the company I'm keeping. I can't definitely determine if there is drug activity in my vicinity, but there has been something in the air at nights since my middle-aged neighbors were replaced by 20 somethings. I'm also not sure in a couple houses are not being used as labs while the kids take pains to be around during the day as though they were living there. I know a house opposite me is just being used for storage. I don't want to fall victim to needless suspicion however. I am 63 and tend to trust my own kind when I extend the benefit of the doubt to anyone.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:01 PM

Same answer. Don't tell us, tell the Police. It's your neighborhood, and it will be what you allow it to be.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:28 PM

466 posts, read 1,062,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtosalem View Post
Steve, you misunderstand..We don't have "this isnt Fl" regret. We were all to happy to start a new life with our large family over this way as we were alone there for the last 20 years so your making an assumption of my family you shouldn't as you do not know us personally. But thats ok I won't hold it against you I am not judgemental but a mature women in mt 40's and know better than to behave that way.
Also, we did Reasearch down to the very zip code and the area we chose was the zip code with the "lowest crime rates". The real bottom line is....dont believe statisics or other people posts .......come experience it for yourself before making the decision based on published data or anything else and please dont believe people who are partial because they have lived here forever. If I had to do it again I would have come and vacationed for a couple weeks and people watched before doing anything.
And in my above post I forgot to mention... while we were unloading the very first day the police did show up (Ill give them this kudos) to knock on the door of a home 3 down from me and arrest a man living there. Who know what for and I probably don't want to know.
So be wise for those reading this and come and stay first....you really need to make the decision for yourselves. Good luck and God Bless.
That's why people often say, rent first in the area you want to live and if you like it, than buy. Your exerience - and I am sorry about it - is exactly what I mean. If you would have rented first - yeah, yeah, I know, "lost money", you would have found out, if it really is like you thought it would be. I hope you have sold your house good and move to a city or area you really like.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:56 PM

95 posts, read 129,773 times
No offense, but it sounds like you didnt do your research and you trusted your real estate agent blindly. Real Estate agents are great, but their job is to sell a home.. period. Not everyone has the same ethics, and want to off load a house that may make them big bucks, if they are not fully forth coming.

If I was moving across country.. never would I buy a house by only internet research. I would have to see it in person and see the neighbors, and the surrounding area. You could be buying the nicest house on the block, but the block is full of crap people. Your neighbors and neighborhood is going to give you a good idea of what its going to be like.

Furthermore, yes.. there are areas of Salem that are less than ideal and tho not big city scary.. but sketchy. Crime is everywhere, and if you live in the wrong area, then you will be exposed to it.

I am sorry you had, or are having such a horrible experience. Mainly because your experience is quite rare.. and basically you kind of screwed yourself for lack of research and clearly had a real estate agent who was not looking out for your best interest. Which is really unfortunate. I am not a huge GO SALEM fan (I hate the rain).. but Salem is really a really nice place on the spectrum of the Valley.

Being that I just saw how old this thread is, I hope things worked out for you guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem