Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 09:19 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,721,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
Well I'll pay the tolls to drive on something where traffic actually "flows" during rush hour.

I already do! It's done wonders for my stress levels.

Point of clarification: NC 540 is a freeway to me, despite the tolls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 11:29 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
I already do! It's done wonders for my stress levels.

Point of clarification: NC 540 is a freeway to me, despite the tolls.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:34 AM

81 posts, read 158,697 times
Isn't Charlotte making a big deal about tolling 77 and how Charlotte gets unfair treatment compared to Raleigh? Even though Raleigh's ring road is half done, and half tolled? No public transit support from the state government and the state government is actively working to hurt the city of Raleigh such as forcing state departments to move out of the city like the DMV HQ?

Personally, I don't want to be surrounded by suburbia on all sides. What are we becoming an even lamer NOVA?

Old 06-14-2018, 05:20 AM

678 posts, read 737,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetwater88 View Post
Isn't Charlotte making a big deal about tolling 77 and how Charlotte gets unfair treatment compared to Raleigh? Even though Raleigh's ring road is half done, and half tolled? No public transit support from the state government and the state government is actively working to hurt the city of Raleigh such as forcing state departments to move out of the city like the DMV HQ?

Personally, I don't want to be surrounded by suburbia on all sides. What are we becoming an even lamer NOVA?

Granted I don't use it all the time, but I love the 540 toll road, and I hope it gets finished soon. I hate driving through Apex on Hwy 55 on my way to points south. If all the toll haters want to clog up the regular roads that's fine with me. I can enjoy the pleasant drive on 540 without being stuck behind some "Sanford & Son" trucks on Hwy 55.

More and more people are moving to dense city cores now, so I wouldn't be to concerned about "being surrounded by suburbia"

Old 06-14-2018, 07:49 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,813,458 times
Cash toll price for the Verrazano Narrows Bridge in NY-$17.00
EZ-Pass price for the same toll $11.52

Cash toll price for George Washington Bridge $15.00
EZ-Pass peak price $12.50
EZ-Pass off peak price $10.00

Tappan Zee Bridge in NY (a daily crossing for many commuters)-$4.75 with EZ-pass.

If you wish to cross the bridge, you pay. No "jumping on 55" option.

NJ turnpike, car rate, end to end-$13.85

None of these are time saving "options". They are the ONLY way to get around. Traffic is insane 7 days a week. So you get to sit in traffic AND pay.

This is why transplants do not balk at 540 tolls. The toll is a more than fair tradeoff for the time saved.

I gained 10 hours a week not spent in a car commuting when I moved here. 10 hours x 50 weeks a year x 15 years=7500 hours not in a car. That's an average of 20.83 extra DAYS worth of time every year that I am not sitting in traffic.

Who would like an extra 20.83 DAYS of free time this year? What would you pay for it, if you could get it? If you don't like that number, cut it in half. How about 10 extra days this year? Cut it in half again. How about 5? If a toll road saves you just 15 minutes each way, it's 5 DAYS of free time per year.

In a lot of cases, the gas savings pays for at least a portion of the cost of the tolls as well.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:24 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetwater88 View Post
Isn't Charlotte making a big deal about tolling 77
The difference with I-77 is that only the new lanes will be tolled. The existing lanes that are free now will still be free. What pissed the region off is the tolling contract that prevents NCDOT from adding free lanes to I-77 for 50 years unless they compensate the company managing the toll lanes, who has a history of bankruptcy. The Charlotte metro has good reason to be pissed, IMO. It’s one of the the two biggest reasons Pat McCrory was dragged out of the Governor’s mansion kicking and screaming.

With NC-540, all lanes are tolled and managed by NCTA/NCDOT.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:31 AM

495 posts, read 1,077,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
That bus left a long time ago
That’s what people said when I bought a $950k 2000 sq ft house in Silicon Valley. 5 years later sold it for $1.9 million. High can always go higher if the growth/influx hasn’t yet completed.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:13 AM
DPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
The difference with I-77 is that only the new lanes will be tolled. The existing lanes that are free now will still be free. What pissed the region off is the tolling contract that prevents NCDOT from adding free lanes to I-77 for 50 years unless they compensate the company managing the toll lanes, who has a history of bankruptcy. The Charlotte metro has good reason to be pissed, IMO. It’s one of the the two biggest reasons Pat McCrory was dragged out of the Governor’s mansion kicking and screaming.

With NC-540, all lanes are tolled and managed by NCTA/NCDOT.
Oh wow I didn't know that. I thought the new I-77 lanes were managed by NCTA/NCDOT like NC-540. So the I-77 toll lanes are a completely different entity? Will they not use NC Quick Pass then?

Old 06-14-2018, 11:55 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
Oh wow I didn't know that. I thought the new I-77 lanes were managed by NCTA/NCDOT like NC-540. So the I-77 toll lanes are a completely different entity? Will they not use NC Quick Pass then?
NC Quick Pass should work. This article gives a good breakdown:

8 Things to know about the Interstate 77 toll lanes project | News | statesville.com

According to yesterday’s article, there’s an amendment currently brewing in the General Assembly that would make it easier to modify the project, but not stop it.

https://www.wcnc.com/mobile/article/.../275-564187259

Old 06-14-2018, 12:24 PM
DPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
NC Quick Pass should work. This article gives a good breakdown:

8 Things to know about the Interstate 77 toll lanes project | News | statesville.com

According to yesterday’s article, there’s an amendment currently brewing in the General Assembly that would make it easier to modify the project, but not stop it.

https://www.wcnc.com/mobile/article/.../275-564187259
So we're outsourcing our infrastructure now to other countries.... great... ffs America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary