Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2021, 03:57 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times

Advertisements

I just got done reading a book on the Yogurt Shop Murders, https://www.amazon.com/Murdered-Inno.../dp/0786039922 , and at the end, one of the mothers was talking about what failed to cause those killing boys. She talked about was there a lack of bonding between child and parent? According to her in the book, it takes 2100 words/hr between child and parent for bonding to occur. Face to face contact and not from a TV set.

Is that accurate? Is that something which is missing in our world today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2021, 06:02 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,941,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Sure, it's a result of a chemical imbalance within the brain.
That's not much of an answer. What is causing so many people to have chemical imbalances in their brains?

Something (or a bunch of things) isn't quite right.

Old 10-11-2021, 10:00 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,406,229 times
Fourteen people shot in Minneapolis Saturday night. Just the day before the Sheriff had predicted that there was going to be a shooting in that bar. No preventive steps were taken.

It's not a dump but right in the heart of the downtown entertainment area. Gang related.

There is a movement underway to get rid of all police in the Twin Cities area even though an increase in police at the U of M campus since Fall semester has reduced crime there.

We don't have the info yet but chances are excellent that the guns are unregistered, the offenders have criminal histories and they are probably also aware that there are laws against bringing guns to bars and shooting people. What new gun law would have prevented this?

I keep asking. Crickets.

Old 10-12-2021, 08:33 AM

35,016 posts, read 16,972,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
What new gun law would have prevented this?

I keep asking. Crickets.
I am sure gang murderers take gun laws very seriously </sarcasm>. But crickets on my OP question, which is, what would gang-bangers say their motivation is?

Old 10-12-2021, 12:50 PM

Domination, I would guess. Depending on the purpose of the gang it would be for financial gain or ego boosting.

Would any of them admit to ego-boosting?

I didn't realize your initial question was about gang bangers. About the increase in violence my opinion is that we have always had antisocial personalities among us. They need scheduled structure of which there is very little in our schools anymore. If those tendencies aren't recognized and addressed very early in a child's life the illness will blossom and solidify by around age eighteen.

Not all of them are violent.

The people in your initial examples may be people with anger control issues, addicts or psychotic. Chances are good they were abused or neglected as children.

But gangs of people escalating the violence? They're doing it because they can. That's probably what they'd tell you. And my guess is that they would blame the reason for much of the violent behavior on feeling wronged in some way.

Not all gang members are sociopaths but they tend to be the leaders. The need to belong may be the hook but trying to help them belong somewhere else may not be the solution.

Old 10-12-2021, 02:44 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Domination, I would guess. Depending on the purpose of the gang it would be for financial gain or ego boosting.

Would any of them admit to ego-boosting?

I didn't realize your initial question was about gang bangers. About the increase in violence my opinion is that we have always had antisocial personalities among us. They need scheduled structure of which there is very little in our schools anymore. If those tendencies aren't recognized and addressed very early in a child's life the illness will blossom and solidify by around age eighteen.

There is another possibility where violence is also an established tool as a way for getting things, getting things done.

Old 10-12-2021, 04:05 PM

If so, anytime that civilized society gives in to demands delivered with violence perhaps we are giving violence validity?

Looks like that could be one more reason that violence is increasing.

Old 10-12-2021, 04:42 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,085,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I am sure gang murderers take gun laws very seriously </sarcasm>. But crickets on my OP question, which is, what would gang-bangers say their motivation is?
It's easy.

Gang life is glamorized (at least when I was young) and young men are in general, aggressive.

Even suburban males I knew were 'wannabe' gangsters. But those guys rarely did anything except sit around and smoke pot and listen to rap music. Still, even suburban males try and pick fights.

But poorer kids often have no parental figure and have less to lose.

All it takes is a fight to break out, and one guy has a gun on him.

Old 10-14-2021, 06:32 PM

35,016 posts, read 16,972,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
It's easy.

Gang life is glamorized (at least when I was young) and young men are in general, aggressive.

Even suburban males I knew were 'wannabe' gangsters. But those guys rarely did anything except sit around and smoke pot and listen to rap music. Still, even suburban males try and pick fights.

But poorer kids often have no parental figure and have less to lose.

All it takes is a fight to break out, and one guy has a gun on him.
I don't remember in my circles violence being glamorized but suburban Jews may be the exception. Good answer.

Old 10-17-2021, 06:44 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,941,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I think this is an interesting point and one that warrants further investigation. But I'd also want to compare how things are here to how they are in other countries where these kinds of shows are also available. Urban South Korea--which is apparently used to shows like Squid Game and even more extreme violence than the US is--doesn't have a huge problem with urban violence. I understand that South Korea also doesn't have a high gun ownership rate, but the same point can be made about other countries with a relative high gun ownership rate to include, Switzerland.
I think family structure makes a big difference in rate of violence. I'm betting countries like Switzerland and South Korea have lower out of wedlock birth rates than the U.S. That's an issue no one wants to talk about. We're supposed to believe that all types of family structures can/should produce similar outcomes. They don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology