Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 11:43 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,942,265 times

Advertisements

Michelle Obama wore $565 sneakers to an event for the homeless. Why not the $24.95 ones from Walmart? After all, was it 'tone deaf'.??? Nonsense. These women are used to having a lot of discretionary income.

I didn't care for the majority of Michelle's outfits, but never begrudged her for choosing something I couldn't afford or wouldn't wear myself. Everyone's taste is different.

First Ladies are under a lot of scrutiny, and have to look nice (according to their own standards). If Melania wore something off the rack, I would venture to say she would be as vilified as Macron's wife who showed up at two events braless and in JEANS. And what about Ivanka? Every time she wears something that is affordable for most, she is criticized mercilessly because it is from her own line.

These women can't win, and unfortunately, it is other women who are the cruelest critics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 01:45 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,022,670 times
Spend your money as you see fit. Me personally, I don't like it.

Old 05-29-2017, 02:05 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,355,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Actually, it's Donald's money to spend. If we're going to go with the idea that women are equal to men, then women should bring their own money into a relationship, no? Especially when they are incredibly rich and hire people to do most things that lowlier people have to do themselves.
If Trump wanted her without her money, who are YOU to care? And if Trump didn't have his money, I doubt ANY woman would look at HIM. So, it all works out in the end...right?

Old 05-29-2017, 02:17 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,355,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Actually, it's Donald's money to spend. If we're going to go with the idea that women are equal to men, then women should bring their own money into a relationship, no? Especially when they are incredibly rich and hire people to do most things that lowlier people have to do themselves.
If Trump wanted her without her money, who are YOU to care? And if Trump didn't have his money, I doubt ANY woman would look at HIM. So, it all works out in the end...right?

Old 05-29-2017, 03:51 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,255,702 times
I don't care for the jacket, but she's married to a billionaire, so it's hardly surprising that her attire is going to be more expensive than what most would care to spend on a single item.

Old 05-29-2017, 04:35 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,028,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
I think the irony with this situation is that many of the people who put Trump into office felt that somehow he could relate to them and their problems better than Hillary Clinton could, yet here is his wife spending what is the equivalent of a year's salary for many of the blue collar workers who elected him on a single item of clothing.

How could Trump possibly understand the struggles of someone who earns $50K or less per year, when his wife can go out and spend that much on a single piece of clothing?
No one here, or anywhere, ever, for a second, thought Donald Trump could relate to our meager incomes. What we did think, and still think, is as a businessman of great wealth and expertise, he can address problems that create poverty and turn those problems around into business successes. Those successes, in turn, help all of America.

But no, he couldn't possibly relate to my bank statement. He probably spends in one evening on one meal what I deposit in my bank account for an entire month. I don't begrudge him for that. I've learned to live within my means and I have what to me is a very good life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Michelle Obama wore $565 sneakers to an event for the homeless. Why not the $24.95 ones from Walmart? After all, was it 'tone deaf'.??? Nonsense. These women are used to having a lot of discretionary income.

I didn't care for the majority of Michelle's outfits, but never begrudged her for choosing something I couldn't afford or wouldn't wear myself. Everyone's taste is different.

First Ladies are under a lot of scrutiny, and have to look nice (according to their own standards). If Melania wore something off the rack, I would venture to say she would be as vilified as Macron's wife who showed up at two events braless and in JEANS. And what about Ivanka? Every time she wears something that is affordable for most, she is criticized mercilessly because it is from her own line.

These women can't win, and unfortunately, it is other women who are the cruelest critics.
Those of us who are secure in our own skins and genders laugh at the twits who criticize Melania, Ivanka, their clothes, and their husbands.

It must be painful to be that full of envy and angst.

Old 05-29-2017, 05:50 PM

783 posts, read 576,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
No problem with her spending the money, but she's the wife of the President....so it is our business. This isn't a monarchy.
Actually, it's STILL not your business because you're not paying for it. It's not like their budget for clothes is coming out of White House petty cash. It's THEIR MONEY! Just because you're President or the President's wife doesn't mean that you no longer can do as you please with your money.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:43 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,613,185 times
Not my problem. She's not using my credit card. She can wear whatever she wants. She can afford it so who cares?

Old 05-29-2017, 09:50 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,875,784 times
Who cares 51k for her is like me dropping 12 dollars for a pair of jeans at Wal Mart. It is relative to your net worth. People were belling aching when Hillary wore some 10k armani pant suits during the election. Who cares move on with your life people.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:41 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,286,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Regardless of your politics, I think most would agree this is ridiculous.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.16a6f6fcbc1c
Paid for by money stolen from students who signed up for the fake Trump University.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance