Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 10:44 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,465,080 times

Advertisements

My take on this subject is this: It is NONE of your business what she spends. It is her money, they can afford it, she doesn't buy her clothing from Target. Get over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 11:22 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,836,158 times
1. It's a coat, not a jacket.
2. I don't like it. I expected for that price to see something gorgeous. I like her clothing style, but this is a fail.

Old 05-28-2017, 12:51 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,991,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Chances are that $250,000 car actually cost somewhere within the ballpark of $250,000 to construct by the time you factor in the R&D costs. Some cars at or above that price level are even sold at a loss for "halo" marketing purposes for the rest of the brand -- the Lexus LFA and the Bugatti Veryon come to mind. What's more, cars in that price range tend to hold their value well so the overall cost of ownership after the item is sold is much lower than $250,000. It's hard to imagine why an item of clothing would cost $51,000 or how it could provide $51,000 worth of value unless it's festooned with precious gems.
If you have every constructed a flower from ribbon, which is what adorned her jacket, you'd know how labor intensive it is. The fact that there was a veritable flower garden on that jacket tells me this jacket took 100s of hours for the flowers alone.

After so many American designers snubbed Melania by saying they would never dress her, Dolce & Gabbana are more than happy to do so. Being in Italy and wearing outfits designed by Italians was genius.

I wasn't crazy about the jacket, but it definitely made a statement, and I don't begrudge Melania for wearing expensive clothing. Her husband is a billionaire, and the jacket was probably donated. If not, she can afford it.

Don't like the outfit...fine. I thought her outfit while visiting the pope was lovely....reminded me of Sophia Loren. Being a professional model in the past, she knows how to wear clothes and photograph beautifully. I thought all her outfits on this trip (and always) were tasteful and elegant.

Old 05-28-2017, 01:05 PM

345 posts, read 252,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
There are other options. Perhaps she could donate to charity or pay for her own security, or her husband's weekend travel.
So, basically the entire luxury market needs to disappear? Yachts, high end cars, designer clothing? One more industry to go down the tubes.

I don't want to sound mean, but this just sounds like one more micro-examination of everything Trump looking for flaws and things to be mad about. Everyone needs to go for a nice walk instead. Save the hullaballoo for a bad tax law or health policy that actually makes it through Congress.

Old 05-28-2017, 03:17 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,600,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
That $51,000 is nothing to her though. When you have that much money, that's your normal.
I think it's a pretty coat, but something only someone like her could wear
Yes exactly it's probably the same as me spending a fiver ( £5 ) on something in comparison so she won't even miss it

Old 05-28-2017, 03:20 PM

137 posts, read 255,629 times
People are deluded if they think Melania is the first or the only first lady to wear expensive clothing.

I know it's a hard concept to fathom for some, but the wealthy.. spend their wealth.

They pay $50,000 for a single night at a luxury hotel and not blink an eye. Or pay $10,000 for a dinner with a bottle of $2,500 wine.
Wait, they loved the wine - make it two.

It's just the way it is.

Old 05-28-2017, 04:25 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,021,069 times
I believe the expression is...

Let them eat cake.

Old 05-28-2017, 05:27 PM

15,654 posts, read 26,378,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
1. It's a coat, not a jacket.
2. I don't like it. I expected for that price to see something gorgeous. I like her clothing style, but this is a fail.
I don't like it either, but... each flower is hand made, then hand stitched onto that coat. There is a lot of hand quilting on that coat. It was probably hand tailored to fit Mrs. Trump... so yeah I totally get how expensive it is.

Old 05-28-2017, 06:01 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,021,161 times
Nothing wrong with Donald Trump's wife wearing a $51k jacket. The issue is that she's President Trump's wife now, and it's a little tone deaf. It doesn't really bother me, but she could have found something MUCH MORE STYLISH that also cost less, and it could be from any number of high-end designers.

If that same Dolce & Gabana jacket was on sale for $29.99 at Ross, she wouldn't have bought it.

Old 05-28-2017, 06:04 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,021,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
My take on this subject is this: It is NONE of your business what she spends. It is her money, they can afford it, she doesn't buy her clothing from Target. Get over it.
No problem with her spending the money, but she's the wife of the President....so it is our business. This isn't a monarchy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance