Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2024, 08:53 AM
bu2

24,126 posts, read 14,966,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Don't go.

Are you sure all of them are the problem and not you? In my experience, when one person has a problem with many others, it is usually the one everybody can't stand that is the problem, not the myriad others.

I can't say that is the case here, but that is typically the case.

In any event, don't go to the wedding. Nothing good can come of it. Have somebody record it and watch it on tape. Send them a nice card and wedding gift.
If they threaten violence, the major problem IS the brother-in-law. He has serious issues.
And yes, in consideration of the niece, the OP should stay away. That would be one of his wedding presents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2024, 09:16 AM

7,267 posts, read 4,644,783 times
I doubt you will be invited and even if you are you would be crazy to go.

Old 04-30-2024, 10:00 AM

9,209 posts, read 6,308,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1928 View Post
My brother in law has threatened to beat me up twice after many years of verbal abuse.This time he went on a 30-40 minute tirade and had me up against a glass door. My sister defended him and told me to leave. I was not harmed but my blood pressure put me in the hospital. There have been various other actions against me which have caused me mental and financial harm.

Their daughter, my niece, knows I am not speaking to them but I have not told her why. Now she is getting married and I want to attend her wedding. I'm afraid it will be a hornet's nest since various family friends have been turned against me as I have remained silent about what happened and they are apparently denigrating me. How do I handle this?

Your niece's wedding is not about you or what you want.

It's about your niece having the best day possible.

That means, no fisticuffs, shouting, or disharmony.

IOW, stay away.

Old 04-30-2024, 11:51 AM

2,167 posts, read 1,088,010 times
Quote:
My brother in law has threatened to beat me up twice after many years of verbal abuse.This time he went on a 30-40 minute tirade and had me up against a glass door. My sister defended him and told me to leave. I was not harmed but my blood pressure put me in the hospital. There have been various other actions against me which have caused me mental and financial harm.

Their daughter, my niece, knows I am not speaking to them but I have not told her why. Now she is getting married and I want to attend her wedding. I'm afraid it will be a hornet's nest since various family friends have been turned against me as I have remained silent about what happened and they are apparently denigrating me. How do I handle this?
You don't mention what started all of this, I'm assuming there is more to this story. Hard to help when we're only getting a glimpse of the whole picture. You mentioned the verbal abuse has gone on for years, the daughter is old enough to marry, so we're assuming this has been an ongoing thing every time you get around them. it doesn't make sense, unless a long time ago something happened that the husband has yet to forgive. He obviously doesn't want you around them, and your sister takes his side as well.

What is the verbal abuse about? Does he not like your lifestyle? Are you on drugs? Alcoholic? We have no clue why the brother in law would treat you this way unless something pretty bad happened, and you must know what it is.

If it really "comes to blows" then you should stay away from the wedding so as not to provoke anything, this is all about the niece, not Daddy or Uncle. Send a card and a gift but tactfully decline.

Old 04-30-2024, 12:07 PM

63 posts, read 119,713 times
Thanks for the advice. Yes, I received an invitation and my niece wants me there. We have been very close through the years. I have taken her on vacations. We text once or twice a week and she sends me memes and posts she thinks I would like.

If she hadn’t asked me multiple times, I would not even consider going - I don’t need the stress.

I feel that if I don’t attend, it will upset her.

Some friends familiar with the situation say I should attend the ceremony, then make a short appearance at the reception.

Old 04-30-2024, 12:13 PM

2,027 posts, read 1,013,521 times
Quote:
I received an invitation and my niece wants me there...I feel that if I don’t attend, it will upset her.
Take an undercover cop with you, and get the BIL arrested when he starts attacking you. That'll give them fodder for the family reunion!

Last edited by clevergirl67; 04-30-2024 at 12:29 PM..

Old 04-30-2024, 12:27 PM

6,934 posts, read 4,942,734 times
Perhaps you should text the niece, tell her that her father isn't going to be happy if you attend, that you don't want her wedding to be disrupted in anyway, and is she sure that she wants you there. If she says yes, then make sure you stay as far away from your BIL as possible.

Old 04-30-2024, 12:48 PM

22,665 posts, read 47,859,192 times
Quote:
Thanks for the advice. Yes, I received an invitation and my niece wants me there. We have been very close through the years. I have taken her on vacations. We text once or twice a week and she sends me memes and posts she thinks I would like.

If she hadn’t asked me multiple times, I would not even consider going - I don’t need the stress.

I feel that if I don’t attend, it will upset her.

you FEEL???

Why not call her and ask her? Then you will KNOW.

Old 04-30-2024, 01:29 PM

63 posts, read 119,713 times
Actually I know - I don’t want to cause her any distress. If your uncle doesn’t come to your wedding, wouldn’t that be hurtful?

Old 04-30-2024, 01:35 PM

22,665 posts, read 47,859,192 times
Quote:
Actually I know - I don’t want to cause her any distress. If your uncle doesn’t come to your wedding, wouldn’t that be hurtful?
What did she say when you asked her that.
You seem reluctant to speak with someone you say you are close to....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships