Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2024, 01:21 PM

7,257 posts, read 7,118,739 times

Advertisements

My niece is turning 21. Right now, she is in college not too far from me. Her parents live out of state. I'm planning on picking her up for a nice brunch when she has a saturday free. But I would like to get her a gift, too.

She's more sporty than girlie, no idea what her sizes are so I wouldn't get clothes, I've never seen her wear makeup or jewelry.

Suggestions (other than alcohol, which she is not allowed to have on campus even if I were inclined to do that)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2024, 01:31 PM

50,438 posts, read 64,262,565 times
Even though she may not be in the habit of wearing jewelry, do you have any family heirloom jewelry? It would still be a fitting gift for a 21st birthday.

Does she have an Apple Watch, or Smart watch? I hear the kids like those.

Old 02-29-2024, 01:47 PM

15,886 posts, read 21,503,725 times
It might be a bit impersonal, but at 21 all I really needed was money. Many of the gifts well-meaning people got me in college ended up getting left behind during very frequent moves in college and in my first few apartments. Other things were ruined by a parade of roommates all through my 20s.

My family was loathe to give money as a gift seeing it as an "easy way out" but money for books or groceries would have gone much further than just about anything else I received.

Old 02-29-2024, 02:50 PM

24,776 posts, read 11,140,961 times
You may want to check with her parents or go the cash route which at that age is always a great present.

Old 02-29-2024, 05:30 PM

9,209 posts, read 6,312,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
My niece is turning 21. Right now, she is in college not too far from me. Her parents live out of state. I'm planning on picking her up for a nice brunch when she has a saturday free. But I would like to get her a gift, too.

She's more sporty than girlie, no idea what her sizes are so I wouldn't get clothes, I've never seen her wear makeup or jewelry.

Suggestions (other than alcohol, which she is not allowed to have on campus even if I were inclined to do that)?

The present she will remember long after graduation and long after several moves and even possibly after marriage, will be the time she spends with you at brunch.

College students always need money, but having brunch and spending time with you will be a lasting memory for both of you, especially if you have mimosas.

And if you decide to give her money, give actual cash- not a gift card or prepaid credit card.

Old 02-29-2024, 07:55 PM

4,994 posts, read 5,320,519 times
A soft throw blanket. The kids seem to love them.

Old 02-29-2024, 08:27 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,140,781 times
Quote:

I think you should ask her parents for their suggestions for a gift. They know her better than anyone else does and they'll know what kinds of things she will appreciate. A really nice brunch would be great and if you end up deciding to give her money then I agree with Lillie767 that you should give the girl cash, don't give her a gift card or prepaid credit card.

Old 03-01-2024, 04:49 AM

11,304 posts, read 19,667,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
The present she will remember long after graduation and long after several moves and even possibly after marriage, will be the time she spends with you at brunch.

College students always need money, but having brunch and spending time with you will be a lasting memory for both of you, especially if you have mimosas.

And if you decide to give her money, give actual cash- not a gift card or prepaid credit card.

This is exactly what I was going to say. Take her out for her birthday and slip her a wad of cash without making a big deal of it, as you are saying goodbye. She's 21. You don't have to ask her parents permission.

Old 03-01-2024, 07:27 AM

16,434 posts, read 12,589,516 times
A Lululemon crossbody bag with some gift cards inside.

Old 03-01-2024, 08:34 AM

1,004 posts, read 572,186 times
Quote:

For someone that age gift cards are a good deal. Give her gift cards to places you know she likes, or just visa cards so she can choose where to spend them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships