Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2021, 03:13 PM

21 posts, read 10,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocytoma View Post
Wow. If you were excited by the closter plaza I feel like you really need to see the Bergen Mall, Garden State Plaza mall, RT 17/ Rt 4, and endless options in nearby towns. Paramus has a Whole Foods+target combo as well.

I’m not mocking you. Just confused. The choice is yours
I would much rather shop in Closter than paramus. Before the revamp of the Closter Plaza, Closter was way too isolated but now it has a lot of appeal. Montvale also good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2021, 03:20 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,464,898 times
Quote:
Wow. If you were excited by the closter plaza I feel like you really need to see the Bergen Mall, Garden State Plaza mall, RT 17/ Rt 4, and endless options in nearby towns. Paramus has a Whole Foods+target combo as well.

I’m not mocking you. Just confused. The choice is yours
I haven’t been to the Closter Plaza in ages… before the remodel.

I think one of the points that tsek was trying to make is that it’s nice to have a town center off the beaten path. Ever try to navigate Bergen Town Center at a peak time? It’s maddening… sometimes it takes a half hour to get out of the place. And the Garden State Plaza? I used to love it, but it’s become such a dangerous monstrosity over the past couple of decades that I’ll go there only if I have no choice.

Give me the Old Bergen Mall with the ghosts in the basement, the wacky church, and the painted up old ladies over the new-fangled Bergen Town Center any day…

Old 09-14-2021, 03:33 PM

471 posts, read 388,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseygurl1 View Post
I would much rather shop in Closter than paramus. Before the revamp of the Closter Plaza, Closter was way too isolated but now it has a lot of appeal. Montvale also good
Why? Closter as you said is isolated/decaying, and in the middle of nowhere.

I get the fresh appeal a plaza may have brought... but Paramus has endless amounts of those commercial plazas. Hell even WoodCliff Lake has the Tice Area.

With Paramus you not only have GSP, BergenM, Paramus Park, Fashion Center, Rt 17/Rt 4 but you also have Elmwood Park/Ridgewood/FairLawn/Hackensack's Riverside square premium mall, The American Dream Mall/River Edge/Maywood/Englewood etc it never ends... and even closter lmao (<20 mins away).

It makes zero sense to move to a decaying area brought to life by a retail establishment compared to the most happening town with 4th lowest property tax (1.5%) in the entire County. And this town has new construction homes/diversity/and affordable homes on larger lots.

Old 09-14-2021, 03:36 PM

471 posts, read 388,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
I haven’t been to the Closter Plaza in ages… before the remodel.

I think one of the points that tsek was trying to make is that it’s nice to have a town center off the beaten path. Ever try to navigate Bergen Town Center at a peak time? It’s maddening… sometimes it takes a half hour to get out of the place. And the Garden State Plaza? I used to love it, but it’s become such a dangerous monstrosity over the past couple of decades that I’ll go there only if I have no choice.

Give me the Old Bergen Mall with the ghosts in the basement, the wacky church, and the painted up old ladies over the new-fangled Bergen Town Center any day…
Yes I have tried to navigate Bergen Town Center at peak time. It has like 12 different exits/entrances. its fine.

GSP? Dangerous? Are you kidding me sir? It's one of the most visited malls in the entire country, and has the highest sales/sq feet in the country. Even in this day of dead malls... the Garden State Plaza is fresh/booming. It makes Closter Plaza look like nothing.

The old Bergen Mall was Closter Plaza pre-remodel.

Old 09-14-2021, 03:43 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,464,898 times
Quote:
Yes I have tried to navigate Bergen Town Center at peak time. It has like 12 different exits/entrances. its fine.

GSP? Dangerous? Are you kidding me sir? It's one of the most visited malls in the entire country, and has the highest sales/sq feet in the country. Even in this day of dead malls... the Garden State Plaza is fresh/booming. It makes Closter Plaza look like nothing.

The old Bergen Mall was Closter Plaza pre-remodel.
I’m not talking danger in terms of getting beaten up, shot, etc, although believe me, I’ve seen plenty of gangstas and miscreants there causing mayhem over the years. I’m talking about the traffic… odds are plenty good there of crashing or getting hit by a car while walking three miles from your parking spot to the store.

Believe me, I know the GSP very well. Been going there since well before it was enclosed in 1984.

Old 09-14-2021, 06:57 PM

Quote:

I get the fresh appeal a plaza may have brought... but Paramus has endless amounts of those commercial plazas. Hell even WoodCliff Lake has the Tice Area.

With Paramus you not only have GSP, BergenM, Paramus Park, Fashion Center, Rt 17/Rt 4 but you also have Elmwood Park/Ridgewood/FairLawn/Hackensack's Riverside square premium mall, The American Dream Mall/River Edge/Maywood/Englewood etc it never ends... and even closter lmao (<20 mins away).

It makes zero sense to move to a decaying area brought to life by a retail establishment compared to the most happening town with 4th lowest property tax (1.5%) in the entire County. And this town has new construction homes/diversity/and affordable homes on larger lots.
I never said Closter is decaying. Yes it is isolated but the Closter Plaza is great. I prefer that plaza over any mall. I don’t see Paramus as happening. It has its pros and cons.

Old 09-14-2021, 07:43 PM
46H

1,654 posts, read 1,404,427 times
Quote:

Not sure if you realize, but Closter is about 11 miles from the Garden State Plaza.

Old 09-15-2021, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
Not sure if you realize, but Closter is about 11 miles from the Garden State Plaza.
More like 6 or 7 from Van Saun Park.

Old 09-15-2021, 09:54 AM

332 posts, read 523,584 times
Getting in and out of the Bergen Mall or GSP or any of these, finding parking, dealing with the drivers in the lot, is just not fun. I think that's the point we are all trying to make. If I want to go to Target or Whole Foods in Closter I can always park within 50 feet of the entrance, if not closer, and I don't have to get on or off any highways to do that. It's not like going to the mall/highway to do these things is impossible, it's just unpleasant. Running into whole foods in Closter is as easy as stopping at my local dry cleaner in a way that going to Bergen Town Center or the GSP just isn't. It's not that there's anything particularly exciting about Whole Foods or Target, but it just means that I can run about 95% of errands I ever need to do without coming close to a highway or traffic (basically, returning something to Bloomingdales or buying sporting goods at Dick's are the only exceptions).

Old 09-15-2021, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubulus View Post
Getting in and out of the Bergen Mall or GSP or any of these, finding parking, dealing with the drivers in the lot, is just not fun. I think that's the point we are all trying to make. If I want to go to Target or Whole Foods in Closter I can always park within 50 feet of the entrance, if not closer, and I don't have to get on or off any highways to do that. It's not like going to the mall/highway to do these things is impossible, it's just unpleasant. Running into whole foods in Closter is as easy as stopping at my local dry cleaner in a way that going to Bergen Town Center or the GSP just isn't. It's not that there's anything particularly exciting about Whole Foods or Target, but it just means that I can run about 95% of errands I ever need to do without coming close to a highway or traffic (basically, returning something to Bloomingdales or buying sporting goods at Dick's are the only exceptions).
Whole Foods paramus is not that bad if you go during non rush hours
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey