Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 08:07 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,257,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
So you just decided on your own that you knew better than God what day should be the Sabbath, and without consulting with him you decided it was no longer important to keep the Sabbath.

You, and not God, decided that Jesus coming would change the day of rest. Even though God said repeatedly, and very clearly, to keep the Sabbath, with no textual support from the bible you just decided it was no longer necessary.

How convenient.

Why don't you do that with the other laws of God? Why do you stop at this one, and not the rest?>>>Boxcar Overkill
In response to Boxcar Overkill on another thread "What is sin".

Are you aware that the two Commandments given by Jesus contain the Ten Commandments?

The first five pertain to God, "Love God with all thy hear, mind and soul"
The second five pertain to the earthly life, "Love thy neighbor as thy self".

If you have Jesus as your Lord and Savior, you will to do those two Commandments written in your heart, and there is where you will find your rest.

Our works for righteousness were in effect prior to Jesus' coming, of which the Ten Commandments condemned.

Therefore, there was no "rest", no Sabbath rest for us, though we celebrated it as such, but even then, we were still condemned.

Jesus' works of righteousness granted us Gods righteousness in which we now can "rest" from our own works.

If you have not found your rest in Jesus, than you are still working for it.

Jesus is our rest from our attempts at righteousness for salvation.

Does not the word say our righteousness is as filthy rags?

Work all the righteousness you want and you will not find your rest!

Celebrate all the Sabbath's in the world and still your righteous attempts will not suffice.

But, if you allow Jesus righteous works to cover you, then you can rest from your own works.

Now that ...............is your Sabbath rest, go...............honor that!

Blessings, AJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 12:02 AM

3 posts, read 4,280 times
I believe it is actually the first four that show our duty to God and the last six that show our duty toward fellow man.

Psalm 40:8
I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart.

Romans 3
28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

James 2
*17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
*18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

*22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?

Faith and works are inseperable-they are complete together.

Rev 12:17
And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Our works will never get us into the Kingdom of God, but our disobedience to his Law will deny us entrance for sure. Celebrating the sabbath, avoiding thievery, idol worship, murder, adultery and the like will never award us salvation, we do those things because of our love toward God and a desire to please him. He has asked us to do these things, why should we argue? "Sabbath was made for man", it is a gift from God!

God bless,
Maggie

Last edited by MaggieL; 09-18-2009 at 12:12 AM..

Old 09-18-2009, 03:19 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,022,131 times
The Sabbath actually means to rest the mind. Listen to that still small voice within. Jesus meditated all the time. He took "Sabbath" every chance He got. The sabbath isn't a day of the week, it's the stillness of the mind. This is where you can hear and talk to God. I meditate every morning. It's good for the soul growth and you become more focused on everything.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:28 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,501,132 times
Not according to the bible.

In the bible, God was quite clear that humans were to rest on the 7th day of the week. That was, and still is, the Sabbath. In multiple places, multiple times, the bible says God commands to remember the Sabbath and keep it holy.

Now, it looks as though some people have found all sort of excuses for why they shouldn't do what their God directly and explicitly told them to do. They have substituted their judgment for Gods judgment, and decided that maybe a different day would be better than the 7th day, (or that the day doesn't matter at all!)

There are very few commands from God that are as strongly and as clearly sent as the command to rest on the 7th day and to keep it holy. Yet modern day Christians abandon this just because Constantine decided it was more convenient to appease the pagans and to keep the 1st day holy instead.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:10 PM

2,981 posts, read 5,454,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post

In the bible, God was quite clear that humans were to rest on the 7th day of the week. That was, and still is, the Sabbath. In multiple places, multiple times, the bible says God commands to remember the Sabbath and keep it holy.

Now, it looks as though some people have found all sort of excuses for why they shouldn't do what their God directly and explicitly told them to do. They have substituted their judgment for Gods judgment, and decided that maybe a different day would be better than the 7th day, (or that the day doesn't matter at all!)

There are very few commands from God that are as strongly and as clearly sent as the command to rest on the 7th day and to keep it holy. Yet modern day Christians abandon this just because Constantine decided it was more convenient to appease the pagans and to keep the 1st day holy instead.
No, only the namesake people of the New Man name were to keep the seventh day Sabbath, which did not include "going to Church'. They are the sign people, and every oracle they were given was a living oracle of the Person or work of the Messiah who was to come, and they, and they alone, were to keep the signs until they were all fulfilled.
They are not all fulfilled and they and they alone will keep them again, after the Church is removed from the earth, until each and evewry one is fully fulfilled.

The Sabbath is the sign of our eternal ceasing of our own works in our own fallen nature/name, and entering into His rest, by His blood Atonement, which His own people have not yet done, as Hebrew 4 states.

The Sabbath rest Moses gave Israel did not include "going to Church".

Old 09-18-2009, 08:52 PM

Hi, Maggie

I would like to comment on your statement quote: “Our works will never get us into the Kingdom of God, but our disobedience to his Law will deny us entrance for sure. Celebrating the Sabbath, avoiding thievery, idol worship, murder, adultery and the like will never award us salvation, we do those things because of our love toward God and a desire to please him. He has asked us to do these things, why should we argue? "Sabbath was made for man", it is a gift from Godâ€!

I would like to agree with you on all of it and would like to add that “entrance into the kingdom†is an option.
Let me explain why. I’m speaking “in time†meaning while we are alive in the flesh.

When Jesus said “Mat 12:28 But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you.

“The Kingdom of God is come†meaning Jesus.

If that be the case, after the resurrection Jesus can now abide in us individually giving us present entrance into His kingdom.
We don’t have to wait till we die.

This next verse gives light to what I said: Luk 17:21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

Now, the Kingdom of God is within you!..

Now let’s look at the Ten Commandments; These five pertain to the spiritual end: "I AM" and there are none other.
No earthen images, of any likeness.
The seventh day is Gods, He hollowed it.
Honor the Son, and you will honor the Father.
1. Exo 20:3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
Exo 20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
Exo 20:5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth
Exo 20:11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day, and hallowed it.
Exo 20:12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.

The next five are physical restraints: Killing, committing adultery, stealing, bearing false witness and coveting.

Exo 20:13 Thou shalt not kill.
Exo 20:14 Thou shalt not commit adultery.
Exo 20:15 Thou shalt not steal.
Exo 20:16 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
Exo 20:17 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.

Mention of the Sabbath is within the first five, meaning it is observed with our spirits.

Christ in you, you find your rest.

Now, my view is this, if you love God and wish to observe the earthly Sabbath, then, by all means do so according to your belief.

If another wants to do it on a Sunday, and loves God to, then it is OK to.

It is not for one to say “Lo here! or, lo there!†Because “the kingdom of God is within youâ€.

Blessings, AJ

Old 09-18-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
The Sabbath actually means to rest the mind. Listen to that still small voice within. Jesus meditated all the time. He took "Sabbath" every chance He got. The sabbath isn't a day of the week, it's the stillness of the mind. This is where you can hear and talk to God. I meditate every morning. It's good for the soul growth and you become more focused on everything.
Rest of our minds and bodies is one thing, but rest for our spirits can not be found without God.

So, prior to Christ, mankind labored to find spiritual rest but could not find it through the law, for the law condemned to death our spirits even, if we but broke just one for we would be guilty of all of them.

Hence, no spiritual rest to our troubled soul.

Jesus, on the other hand was the Kingdom of God in human form and is the kingdom of God in spirit.
Luk 10:9 And heal the sick that are therein, and say unto them, The kingdom of God is come nigh unto you.

After Jesus having fulfilled the letter of the law in righteousness in human form for us, He then granted it to us.

Now we, are free from the curse of the law and now can find spiritual rest in Christ.

Blessings, AJ

Old 09-18-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post

I have absolutely no problem with you honoring the Sabbath as you believe it to be, for that is your conviction.

The question is, have you found your Sabbath in Jesus? If you have, then that would mean you have ceased from your own works and settled for Jesus' works instead.

Blessings, AJ

Old 09-18-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuasavedme View Post
No, only the namesake people of the New Man name were to keep the seventh day Sabbath, which did not include "going to Church'. They are the sign people, and every oracle they were given was a living oracle of the Person or work of the Messiah who was to come, and they, and they alone, were to keep the signs until they were all fulfilled.
They are not all fulfilled and they and they alone will keep them again, after the Church is removed from the earth, until each and every one is fully fulfilled.

The Sabbath is the sign of our eternal ceasing of our own works in our own fallen nature/name, and entering into His rest, by His blood Atonement, which His own people have not yet done, as Hebrew 4 states.

The Sabbath rest Moses gave Israel did not include "going to Church".
I believe I understand what you are saying and of which I see a mix between the law and grace.

Israel was given the law and until this day observe the Sabbath as is.

Because they have not yet being bitten by the "fiery serpent" raised on a pole and live.

Num 21:8 And the LORD said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live.

The time will come when they all will look and be bitten, but meantime, observing the Sabbath as is.

Blessings, AJ

Old 09-19-2009, 12:10 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,501,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by look3467 View Post
I have absolutely no problem with you honoring the Sabbath as you believe it to be, for that is your conviction.

The question is, have you found your Sabbath in Jesus? If you have, then that would mean you have ceased from your own works and settled for Jesus' works instead.

Blessings, AJ

I don't keep any of the days, because I'm an atheist.

I am only interested in this subject because I'm interested in seeing if Christians interpret the bible consistently, or if they pick and choose verses from the bible to support their personal bigotry.

But at any rate, your quote indicates that you believe that you know better than your God whether or not it is important to honor the Sabbath. You have found your own basis in rational thought for abandoning the Sabbath, but you can't find anywhere where God explicitly says that its no longer important.

So are the 10 commandments still "commandments", or are they now the 10 "suggestions"? Are they 10 "ideas", or the 10 "pieces of advice"?
Or are they still the 10 COMMANDments?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism