Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 02:07 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,257,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Ah, so the Ten Commandments are now the 10 Behavioral Guides. It is not a sin to violate them. Whether one is talking about the prohibition against homosexuality, keeping the Sabbath, or stoning non-virgins, the old testament is just something we SHOULD do, but its not necessarily a sin if one doesn't do it.>>> Boxcar Overkill
Sure they are. If one kills guess what? You go to jail and to prison to pay for your infraction.

If again, if one neglects God, then God neglects one and we are on our own.

The question here is, are the Ten Commandments binding on our salvation?

The answer is no, yet they are binding on our own personal behavior.

So, because Jesus took care of the salvation part of the Ten Commandments for salvation purposes, it is up to us to take care that we use them as a guide to keep in favor with God.

I am trying to give you a picture that is not tainted with political and or religious views.

If you have studied the bible over the years you will find that God’s creation was His will. and to save His creation was also His will, so that all that has transpired through out the whole of humanity is the work that God has done in our behalf.

If you look at it that way, you will cut to the chase and leave out all man made interpretations.

Quote:
Is that how you feel about the subject?>>> Boxcar Overkill
What I now know and understand about God’s work is what I know and feel to be correct.

Quote:
If you could, please give me a succinct statement about the viability of OT laws regarding:

1. Homosexuality,
2. keeping the Sabbath, and
3. executing brides who aren't virgins.>>> Boxcar Overkill
First, let me state that prior to Christ, meaning the Old Testament, things were as they were.
The Ten Commandments were binding on the soul with respect to salvation, thus the behavior was contingent on our righteousness being in compliance.

But because compliance was far to unreachable, the law then condemned every soul.

With that being said, I will address your 3 questions.
  • Homosexuality: Not a new thing to that time period, yet it spoke of refraining from it because of the health problems and moral judgments.
God understands the consequences of that practice, so He warned us about it.
If we indulge, then it is to our own consequence.
The same applies today after the death of Christ, being the New Testament.
Paul speaks against it as well.
A nation has the right to write its own laws and enforce them.
If some of those laws are based on Judeo-Christian values, then they are there for the same reason.
But when those Judeo-Christian values are omitted from our laws, then we are in for some serious moral and behavioral issues.

• Sabbath: explained in my opening sentence above.
  • executing brides who aren't virgins

The Old Testament mentality was an eye for an eye, tooth for tooth, so executions were not a problem.
But because mankind’s righteousness fell short of Gods righteous requirements, God’s own righteousness is what could only save mankind.

The way for God to do that is written in the contents of the bible.

God had to become a man with power of righteousness in order as a man, overcome mankind’s shortness and than grant it to all mankind.

Because humanity is naturally bent towards its own gratification, the fear of God in many cases have kept many in line.

But, then again, it was also used in a power grab way and manipulation of the people.

So, based on mankind’s dismal behavior we tend to judge God by it.

So, you have a choice to believe what you want as I do, and I believe God is a God of all creation bar none.
Your soul is just as important as mine in His eyes, but in mankind’s eyes…….well?

Blessings, AJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Just to be clear, 100k means 100 kilometers, not 100,000 miles.
Just goes to show that distance is what we both understood, yet it was looked at two different ways.

Religion has the same problem.

Blessings, AJ

Old 09-20-2009, 02:17 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
The OT Bible instructs us to go out and appreciate nature, visit sick people and those in prison on the Sabbath. Jesus said "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath" and was accused of breaking the Sabbath by the Pharisees. How do you interpret that?

Old 09-20-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Sins are committed even by the most devout of Christians, but the belief is that they are redeemed by the death of Christ.
You are absolutely right but not unto death.
let me explain with this verse:1Jo 5:17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.

The sin, is that which Christ died for, and that being eternal death.

Blessings, AJ

Old 09-20-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
The OT Bible instructs us to go out and appreciate nature, visit sick people and those in prison on the Sabbath. Jesus said "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath" and was accused of breaking the Sabbath by the Pharisees. How do you interpret that?
If you love God, you will willingly do those things, no need for any instructions.

Blessings, AJ

Old 09-20-2009, 03:56 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times
Quote:
Just to be clear, 100k means 100 kilometers, not 100,000 miles.
That's probably my fault, not explaining it fully. 100K has become a "term of art" in cycling and is not seen much outside of distance athletic events. Also referred to as a "Metric Century" as opposed to "Centrury" being a full 100 miles. Today was just an easy recovery ride of 35 miles. However, I am resting today, as well. I never met this Art guy, but he is sure taking credit for a lot of words.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:31 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Fair enough, but that doesn't get us far in the object of this thread's discussion.

Basically it says that one doesn't have to follow ANY of the commandments, as long as one believes Christ will redeem those sins. Sin all you want.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Basically it says that one doesn't have to follow ANY of the commandments, as long as one believes Christ will redeem those sins. Sin all you want.
Contra er my friend.

We are still accountable to our own behavior and will not be left unaccounted for.
If a person begins to drink hard liquor, he may or may not become addicted to it. Depends on the persons willingness to control the consumption.

But if willfully drinks to an excess, not only may it lead to become an alcoholic, but will destroy self and the relationship of those around them as well..

Yes, there is forgiveness, but there has to be a will to change first.

Gods goodness and forgiveness leads us to repentance.

Blessings, AJ

Old 09-20-2009, 05:04 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
You can sin all your life, and merely wait until you're on your deathbed to repent. Even Hitler would be accepted into Heaven, if he had repented of his sinful ways at death.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:27 AM

Quote:
You can sin all your life, and merely wait until you're on your deathbed to repent. Even Hitler would be accepted into Heaven, if he had repented of his sinful ways at death.
The whole of the bible gives what should be understood as God's works.
This verse give in one verse the works of God:
Rom 5:19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous. The key word "one", and who was responsible for both "ones"?

The soul of Adam (mankind) became spiritually separated with knowledge, spiritual death being the result.

An engineered default that needed rectifying but delayed till the second type of Adam appeared to redeem that which was lost in the creation.

As one can see, humanity had no part in the works, except the experience.

So, if Christ came to save "that which was lost" then identifying the lost would give us an answer as to who will be saved.

Was Judas lost? The Sanhedrin, the scribes and the Pharisees, the Romans, Hitler?

Next question is salvation form what? Eternal separation =death of the spirit?

If Jesus makes us alive, we still die physically right? Then, it must mean e pay for our own sins in the flesh, while Jesus paid for our souls spirit.

Blessigs, AJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism