Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2024, 03:43 PM

12,959 posts, read 13,379,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Review states "The Home Defender uses a steel “blast shield” at the lower edges of the front of the cylinder to allow the revolver to be fired with a support hand on the fore-end."

https://www.guns.com/news/reviews/ta...r-review#Specs
I’d have to see it in an actual range firing scenario before trusting it for myself.
Just to be on the side of caution.

Saw this posted on another forum discussion….
Attached Thumbnails
Taurus Judge Home Defender-img_2943.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2024, 06:18 PM

1,174 posts, read 609,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post

Saw this posted on another forum discussion….
Out of stock......

Old 05-05-2024, 12:22 PM

17,404 posts, read 22,152,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
"Taurus" and "reliable" are two words that don't go together. Never trust your life to Taurus products. They are fine for range toys, but for life saving equipment, spend the money on a quality firearm.

My buddy loves Taurus stuff, I've always thought of it as 2nd tier cheap guns made in Brazil

81 and living in a condo.............Where? Beirut?

Old 05-05-2024, 12:45 PM

19,849 posts, read 22,754,667 times
All I know about the ‘judge’ is that a guy that showed up pheasant hunting one year had one and around dusk he would run his truck down the roads trying to sluece birds along the edges of the roads trying get gravel.

He was 100% unsuccessful in bringing back any birds. I’m sure his illegal evening hunts wounded a few.

Old 05-06-2024, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post

He winters in old town, Scottsdale, AZ.

The rioting and looting in June 2020 at the Scottsdale Fashion Square was way too close to his condo, and he realized that in an urban living environment, things can turn ugly quickly if certain types decide they want it to.

He is only interested in self defense inside the condo itself.

Last edited by AZ Desert Guy; 05-06-2024 at 09:31 AM..

Old 05-06-2024, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
All I know about the ‘judge’ is that a guy that showed up pheasant hunting one year had one and around dusk he would run his truck down the roads trying to sluece birds along the edges of the roads trying get gravel.

He was 100% unsuccessful in bringing back any birds. I’m sure his illegal evening hunts wounded a few.
I dont believe I would "judge" the firearm by the jerk who bought it.

Old 05-06-2024, 08:30 AM

19,849 posts, read 22,754,667 times
I watched Hickok45 shoot Federal 2 3/4" 000 buck (4 pellets) Personal defense 'handgun' .410- around the 22:00 mark.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hick...lry5KH6I0,st:0

Old 05-06-2024, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I watched Hickok45 shoot Federal 2 3/4" 000 buck (4 pellets) Personal defense 'handgun' .410- around the 22:00 mark.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hick...lry5KH6I0,st:0

Thanks for that, I had not seen that one before. That short barreled judge had decent enough groupings but was hitting pretty high for such short range.

One of the reasons I came to this board with my question if anybody owned/used a 13" Home Defender model is wondering about a rifled barrel that is designed to take any shotgun load that will fit, yet still function for .45 LC rounds. How accurately can one dial in a short 13" shotgun with a rifled barrel? Slugs I get, but what of multi pellet self defense shells?

My BIL would only load self defense .410 shotgun shells in it, just like he did with the little shockwave he gifted me with.

I helped him zero a quality green laser I mounted on an aftermarket pic rail on his shockwave for him, and found that set up to work quite well at 5,7 and 10 yards, shooting from low. But the little shockwave is a smooth bore.

I hope to find one of these 13" judge home defender models if I can, but would still like experienced feedback from one of the seasoned shooters that post here if possible regarding self defense .410 accuracy. I would plan to install the green laser on it as the primary sight method.

Old 05-06-2024, 10:56 AM

14,569 posts, read 23,098,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
My buddy loves Taurus stuff, I've always thought of it as 2nd tier cheap guns made in Brazil

That's exactly what they are. They also have a very weird group of fanboys who love to defend them.

Old 05-06-2024, 11:04 AM

14,569 posts, read 23,098,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Desert Guy View Post
Thanks for that, I had not seen that one before. That short barreled judge had decent enough groupings but was hitting pretty high for such short range.

One of the reasons I came to this board with my question if anybody owned/used a 13" Home Defender model is wondering about a rifled barrel that is designed to take any shotgun load that will fit, yet still function for .45 LC rounds. How accurately can one dial in a short 13" shotgun with a rifled barrel? Slugs I get, but what of multi pellet self defense shells?

My BIL would only load self defense .410 shotgun shells in it, just like he did with the little shockwave he gifted me with.

I helped him zero a quality green laser I mounted on an aftermarket pic rail on his shockwave for him, and found that set up to work quite well at 5,7 and 10 yards, shooting from low. But the little shockwave is a smooth bore.

I hope to find one of these 13" judge home defender models if I can, but would still like experienced feedback from one of the seasoned shooters that post here if possible regarding self defense .410 accuracy. I would plan to install the green laser on it as the primary sight method.
I guess my question is why is your BIL insisting on such novel and niche guns for home defense? It is making the issue needlessly complicated.

My advice: Help him find any one of the reasonably priced, high quality, striker fired 9mm handguns that are flooding the market. Have him handle several until he finds one that is an ergonomic fit for him, then have him load it up with a quality 124 grain jacketed hollow point round like Federal HST or Speer Gold Dot. If desired, you can throw a slide mounted optic or laser sight on it for added ease of use.

Boom. Done. He'd be out ~$500 for the gun, plus the cost of ammo and the optic/laser if desired. Glock, Smith & Wesson, SIG, FN, H&K and many others are options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting