Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2024, 09:08 AM

1,174 posts, read 609,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
I would not fire that weapon with my hand gripping the “stock” under the 13” barrel.
The blast from the gap between the forcing cone & cylinder would be quite painful & dangerous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6vMkk8VYzc
"Stock". Thank you. For some reason I was fishing for the darn word.

Taurus has incorporated deflection guards for that very reason that seem to work according to other vids I have seen.

Great video you posted here, demonstrates that revolver hazard well. Love me some Jerry Miculek!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2024, 09:09 AM

460 posts, read 311,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Desert Guy View Post
Even the revolvers? Do you have or had any Taurus revolvers? It doesnt get much simpler it would seem, hence reliability goes way up.
I've had mine for 6 years. Never had any problems with it, and I'm always shooting snakes and varmints. Probably put 7 or 8000 rounds through it , never a problem.
Still shoots just fine.

Old 05-04-2024, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBear View Post
I've had mine for 6 years. Never had any problems with it, and I'm always shooting snakes and varmints. Probably put 7 or 8000 rounds through it , never a problem.
Still shoots just fine.
Thank you, just the kind of long term user feedback, good or bad, I am looking for.

Old 05-04-2024, 10:19 AM

23,616 posts, read 70,539,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
"Taurus" and "reliable" are two words that don't go together. Never trust your life to Taurus products. They are fine for range toys, but for life saving equipment, spend the money on a quality firearm.
You must be of an age when Taurus was known for the cheap guns favored by gangs. You might have been right long ago, but I will say that my brother is a 'nam vet, someone who once sold Vulcan cannons, and president of a large gun club, and his recommendation to me thirty years ago was the Taurus revolver as an accurate, reliable, and safe carry pistol (with photos of his range targets to prove it).

If a weapon is properly maintained and you don't try to shoot 1960s "Bob's Bargain Basement Subsonics With Added Goose Grease Lubrication" rounds, but spend that money on quality ammo, Taurus is generally as reliable as any.

Old 05-04-2024, 11:13 AM

12,959 posts, read 13,379,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBear View Post
Still shoots just fine.
My brother has had a Taurus Model 85 revolver in his carry rotation for 30 years.
Never a malfunction, and it shoots where he points it.
His son-in-law has had a Judge for a number of years, and no complaints from him.

Old 05-04-2024, 12:24 PM

14,569 posts, read 23,098,355 times
Quote:
Even the revolvers? Do you have or had any Taurus revolvers? It doesnt get much simpler it would seem, hence reliability goes way up.
Yes, even the revolvers. Taurus as a company has absolutely awful quality control, and its infamously difficult to get them to make things right.

Old 05-04-2024, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Yes, even the revolvers. Taurus as a company has absolutely awful quality control, and its infamously difficult to get them to make things right.
You know that Taurus allowed a Taurus USA manufacturing division to be built in 2019 in Georgia, right?

Old 05-04-2024, 01:07 PM

Quote:
You know that Taurus allowed a Taurus USA manufacturing division to be built in 2019 in Georgia, right?
I'm aware. I'm also aware that that hasn't helped their QC issues.

Last year on a shooting forum I frequent, a man had his brand new Taurus Model 65's cylinder and crane assembly fall out on it's very first trip to the range.

Again, buy a quality firearm rather than trusting your life to a brand with known issues.

Old 05-04-2024, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
You must be of an age when Taurus was known for the cheap guns favored by gangs. You might have been right long ago, but I will say that my brother is a 'nam vet, someone who once sold Vulcan cannons, and president of a large gun club, and his recommendation to me thirty years ago was the Taurus revolver as an accurate, reliable, and safe carry pistol (with photos of his range targets to prove it).

If a weapon is properly maintained and you don't try to shoot 1960s "Bob's Bargain Basement Subsonics With Added Goose Grease Lubrication" rounds, but spend that money on quality ammo, Taurus is generally as reliable as any.
I got into shooting in the late 90s and early 2000s. I can remember even then when Taurus was trying to convince the shooting public that they had solved their issues, and they still haven't done so. The best maintenance program in the world isn't going to solve shoddy QC.

Old 05-04-2024, 02:34 PM

4,572 posts, read 5,687,639 times
Lightbulb There’s a special shield on either side of the cylinder to protect your arm while shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
I would not fire that weapon with my hand gripping the “stock” under the 13” barrel.
The blast from the gap between the forcing cone & cylinder would be quite painful & dangerous.
Review states "The Home Defender uses a steel “blast shield” at the lower edges of the front of the cylinder to allow the revolver to be fired with a support hand on the fore-end."

https://www.guns.com/news/reviews/ta...r-review#Specs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting