Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 09:46 PM

147 posts, read 241,273 times

Advertisements

Most people in Dallas are transplants - they bring their shallow values with them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 02:53 AM

171 posts, read 880,050 times
Default To each their own....

But I must agree with DullNboring
"1. Orange County, California"
However, I think everyone should do whatever makes them happy as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else.

With that in mind.....the thing that gets me is when it trickles down to the children in the neighborhood. And I know it's not even intentional. But it is affecting our youth tremendously. And I dont just mean teenagers, I mean I have heard it from multiple 8 year olds who focus on their weight, clothing labels etc.... Unfortunately children learn from what they hear and mimick what they see. I mean I believe in taking care of oneself and feeling good, but we need to provide our youth with other means of self esteem and acceptance.

That's just my take ~Kali

Old 04-24-2007, 04:55 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,700,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastDallasNative View Post
Most people in Dallas are transplants - they bring their shallow values with them!
So only native Dallas residents have non-shallow values?

Old 04-24-2007, 01:23 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,847,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
You're not saying Minneapolis is #1 are you? So who made you a Twin Cities business leader or politician?

OK, tell us then, which city is #2, mpope.
http://www.houstontheaterdistrict.org
"The Houston Theater District is ranked second in the nation for the number of theater seats..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston_Theatre_District
"The district is ranked second in the United States for the number of theater seats..."

http://www.[blocked due to copyright reasons].com/north-...e-district.php
"The Houston Theatre District is ranked second in the nation for the number of seats in a downtown area."

Old 04-24-2007, 08:50 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,592,737 times
Default We're Number Two!

Oh yeah? Check this out!

www.minneapolis.org/thingstodo/theaterandmusic.asp (broken link)
The Minneapolis theater scene is legendary. We have more theater seats per capita than any other city besides New York. The city features more than 30 venues and nearly 100 theater groups.

http://www.bloomingtonmn.org/attractions_arts.asp
Minneapolis boasts more theater seats per capita than anywhere else but New York City. With a theater Minneapolis theater scene that is legendary, the city offers world-class broadway shows!

http://arts.minneapolis.org/theaterandmusic/
With more than 100 theater venues and more theater seats per capita than any other U.S. city outside New York, the Minneapolis theater scene is booming. From cozy playhouses to majestic 3,000-seat theaters, more than 30 venues offer a wide selection of performance styles:

Seriously, I have no idea which claim (if either) is true, but perhaps the "per capita" qualifier is what clinches it for Mpls.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:25 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,578,342 times
Quote:
Oh yeah? Check this out!

www.minneapolis.org/thingstodo/theaterandmusic.asp (broken link)
The Minneapolis theater scene is legendary. We have more theater seats per capita than any other city besides New York. The city features more than 30 venues and nearly 100 theater groups.

http://www.bloomingtonmn.org/attractions_arts.asp
Minneapolis boasts more theater seats per capita than anywhere else but New York City. With a theater Minneapolis theater scene that is legendary, the city offers world-class broadway shows!

http://arts.minneapolis.org/theaterandmusic/
With more than 100 theater venues and more theater seats per capita than any other U.S. city outside New York, the Minneapolis theater scene is booming. From cozy playhouses to majestic 3,000-seat theaters, more than 30 venues offer a wide selection of performance styles:

Seriously, I have no idea which claim (if either) is true, but perhaps the "per capita" qualifier is what clinches it for Mpls.
I think that's what I was going to say. Minneapolis has second most seats per capita, but Houston has second most in total.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:59 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,847,219 times
Quote:
Yes, it must be the "per capita" claim.

The Houston claim basically is: If you go to the Theatre District in downtown, the only other one in the country that is larger is NYC's Broadway district.
So by sheer number of seats, Houston is 2nd largest after NYC.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:17 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,592,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP View Post
Yes, it must be the "per capita" claim.

The Houston claim basically is: If you go to the Theatre District in downtown, the only other one in the country that is larger is NYC's Broadway district.
So by sheer number of seats, Houston is 2nd largest after NYC.
Yup, I think that explains it. Houston's got ~2M people in the city and 4.2M total metro, while Minneapolis has only ~376k in the city and ~3.4M total metro.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:35 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,578,342 times
Quote:
Yup, I think that explains it. Houston's got ~2M people in the city and 4.2M total metro, while Minneapolis has only ~376k in the city and ~3.4M total metro.
Houston=5.6 metro

Old 04-25-2007, 12:28 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,249,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah79 View Post
I vote for Washington, DC as being most image conscious. Maybe not so much in the appearance sense, but when the first question out of everyone's mouth when they meet you is "so, what do you do?", you are immediately judged on a superficial level. In other words, it's "how will knowing you benefit me?". Everybody's trying so hard to BE somebody and impress everyone else; it's exhausting.
I have to agree 100%. I lived in D.C. for many years and worked on Capitol Hill. I can tell you some stories. I'm so glad I left there.

Atlanta is another one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.