Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 02:38 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,281,142 times

Advertisements

I agree with most of your city lists...I've lived in both Scottsdale and Orange County and they are both very image conscious places - more so than I personally am.

I think parts of the Bay Area are image conscious, but more so from the standpoint of having cool gadgets, a job at a cool company, and cars v. personal appearance. I never felt underdressed anywhere in San Francisco, but often felt that my cell phone wasn't high tech enough
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2007, 04:06 PM

786 posts, read 4,733,723 times
I general wealthy people are more interested in looking good and physical fitness and poor southern people are likely to be overweight and tacky looking.

I say a person's appearance is a reflexion of their inside view of themselves.

Old 03-31-2007, 06:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
A lot of the Colorado mtn communities are very image conscious: Aspen, Vail, possibly Steamboat (though they like to think of themselves more as weatlhy cowboys).

Old 04-01-2007, 08:47 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,226,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I general wealthy people are more interested in looking good and physical fitness and poor southern people are likely to be overweight and tacky looking.

I say a person's appearance is a reflexion of their inside view of themselves.
I know many poor people that aren't overweight and if you consider clothes are what makes a person tacky, that isn't their fault if they can't afford designer names.

I also know of many that one might consider poor who somehow have the nicest clothes. It's funny how they manage that unless they get lucky at a thrift store.

My take is that some people just love to be stylish, which is just fine, others don't worry about it, which is just fine too. I know of many that think clothes are what makes them great or not and therefore, I feel they are a little insecure inside but want to look their best on the outside. There is nothing wrong with that. Whatever helps a person's self-esteem, I say to go for it even if it means that a wallet must match a belt and shoes.

Old 04-01-2007, 12:27 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,768,442 times
Long Island from my experience. I never realized how bad it was till I moved away and didn't get a chance to visit for 6 months. I think I spent that whole weekend with my lower jaw dropped to my chest. So much you don't realize while there, till you leave and come back.

Old 04-01-2007, 12:31 PM

788 posts, read 4,068,926 times
Just about every city in California.

Yes, I am bit image conscious, but I don't like that about myself and am trying to work on it.

Old 04-01-2007, 06:19 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,226,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingcali View Post
Just about every city in California.

Yes, I am bit image conscious, but I don't like that about myself and am trying to work on it.
I used to be too, but finally overcame such quite a few years ago. It takes time, and I'm probably much older than you. I must say though that when it's "dumped", one becomes much happier. That's my experience anyway.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:17 PM

788 posts, read 4,068,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
I used to be too, but finally overcame such quite a few years ago. It takes time, and I'm probably much older than you. I must say though that when it's "dumped", one becomes much happier. That's my experience anyway.
I notice I am less concerned about it now than when I was younger too. It only rears its ugly head when I am around people who are very image conscious--then I start thinking about what I don't have, and let myself think that I need it. Or, I realize how stupid and shallow the whole idea is. I

f I am feeling bad about myself, and throwing myself a little pity party, the status thing might creep in. Usually I can get back to reality and back to caring about what really matters when I snuggle my wonderful hubby, hear the birds chirp and sing, watch a butterfly float by...then I realize how blessed I am. Once the appreciation and gratefulness return, the other stuff melts away.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:52 AM

1,489 posts, read 8,799,323 times
Richmond, Virginia is very image concious.
A lot of people must live on "Rivah" Road or out in Wyndham, or Windsor Farms and belong to the Country Club of Virginia. Go to some southern prep school like Woodberry Forrest or Episcopal high in Alexandria. Have a few horses and ride fox hunts at Deep Run Hunt Club.

People who live in Richmond for 40 plus years are considered "new comers"

Old 04-04-2007, 09:16 AM

1,233 posts, read 3,435,219 times
I personally get my self esteem from within, I do not dress to impress anyone, I am not going to strave myself and eat like rabbit to be approved of, life is way too short for that! I do eat healthy, most days and I also spurlge now and then, again, life is way too short. I do care a bit how I look, will not allow myself too get too fat and too dumpy, I do dress nice in a causal sorta of and steer clear of designer anything, not who I am...would not want to protray a shallow empy soul of a person. I also love to read and I have my priorities in place, I am so thankful I can breathe in my own skin!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.