Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2023, 05:58 PM

26 posts, read 26,346 times

Advertisements

Of the top 50 metros how would break down about? It's easy to say blue state, red state, blue city, red city but when you look at the immediate suburbs of these cities (the big ones all blue) what does that situation look like? Not asking for a drawn out political ideology war more just asking what it is.

The bay area appears to always have had blue suburbs even back when California was red.

I notice the inland empire (if that's still considered LA's extended suburbs to me it is) has going blue in recent years when it was traditionally very red.

Philadelphia and Boston look like they have blue immediate suburbs.

New York City interestingly enough seems to have some red suburbs like Long Island that seem to be getting redder.

Atlanta's historically very red suburbs seem to be getting more blue rather famously having big time national election consequences in recent years.

Chicago's collar counties seemed to have gone blue over the years after historically being red.

Dallas and Houston have very red suburbs.

Am I off on any of these? What are your takes and what direction do you think they are going in? Even in plenty more not listed.

Old 09-04-2023, 06:17 PM

26 posts, read 26,346 times
Interesting. And speaking of which, Orange County, California doesn't appear to be as blood red as it used to be. Looks like it's trending blue.

Old 09-04-2023, 06:37 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,877,833 times
The Cincinnati metro is decidedly red outside of Hamilton County (which voted 57% blue in 2020). The next 6 most populous counties after Hamilton (3 on the OH side, and 3 on the KY side) voted between 58%-67% red in 2020.

Old 09-04-2023, 07:21 PM

21,638 posts, read 31,257,534 times
Long Island is pretty red - probably the reddest suburban area of a major US city in the country. I think that comes from many working class families employed in civil service (lots of firefighters and police officers from the city live in Long Island, lots of HVAC business owners etc). Entrepreneurs and business owners seem to vote red. Even many of the affluent towns in Connecticut, while some have gone blue, still have a lot of Republicans. Many are still solid red - but not nearly as red as Long Island.

Down here in South FL, it’s an interesting mix. Many inner core Miami suburbs are red, but once you cross into Broward County suburbs, they turn dark blue. Then you hit the Palm Beach County suburbs where Boca is red, Delray is blue, and it’s all over the map depending on where you go. Palm Beach County went blue against Trump, but red for DeSantis.

I was always surprised at how many Republicans were in Orange County, CA as well. It seems to trend blue with Trump in the mix, but otherwise, pretty red.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 09-04-2023 at 07:35 PM..

Old 09-04-2023, 07:32 PM

4,437 posts, read 6,314,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdude7 View Post
Of the top 50 metros how would break down about? It's easy to say blue state, red state, blue city, red city but when you look at the immediate suburbs of these cities (the big ones all blue) what does that situation look like? Not asking for a drawn out political ideology war more just asking what it is.

The bay area appears to always have had blue suburbs even back when California was red.

I notice the inland empire (if that's still considered LA's extended suburbs to me it is) has going blue in recent years when it was traditionally very red.

New York City interestingly enough seems to have some red suburbs like Long Island that seem to be getting redder.

Atlanta's historically very red suburbs seem to be getting more blue rather famously having big time national election consequences in recent years.

Chicago's collar counties seemed to have gone blue over the years after historically being red.

Am I off on any of these? What are your takes and what direction do you think they are going in? Even in plenty more not listed.
When I think of solidly red suburbs in DFW, I think of the outer areas. Most of the core 4 counties are blue to purple these days (I could be wrong). I think Denton County is the most red of the 4 core counties, but the city of Denton feels like an artsy college town that leans more liberal.

Old 09-04-2023, 08:11 PM

20,881 posts, read 9,569,032 times
Best map for this topic:
https://ufl.maps.arcgis.com/apps/web...c848482bc81fbd

Old 09-04-2023, 08:12 PM

8,522 posts, read 4,762,898 times
Rochester NY’s suburbs are pretty shockingly red, but there’s just too much blue here.

Old 09-04-2023, 09:21 PM

154 posts, read 96,849 times
The Atlanta suburbs are definitely trending blue. The state as a whole is still Purplish-red but according to an article that NBC posted, “The reality is that the vote in Georgia has moved considerably in the last dozen years, and behind that move is a massive set of swings to the Democrats around Atlanta. In fact, comparing 2008 to 2020, seven of the 10 counties that swung most heavily to the Democrats in the entire country were in metro Atlanta (https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/mee...-n1259089).” The next couple of elections are going to be interesting.

Old 09-04-2023, 09:31 PM

16,714 posts, read 29,560,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdude7 View Post

Excellent thread topic.

Old 09-04-2023, 10:47 PM

6,387 posts, read 5,025,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyDaze View Post
The Cincinnati metro is decidedly red outside of Hamilton County (which voted 57% blue in 2020). The next 6 most populous counties after Hamilton (3 on the OH side, and 3 on the KY side) voted between 58%-67% red in 2020.
Add Milwaukee as a red-suburbs metro. The WOW counties (Washington, Ozaukee, Waukesha) typically vote in line with rural Wisconsin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.