Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2023, 08:43 AM

10 posts, read 13,017 times

Advertisements

Just looking for some advice suggestions on a upcoming road trip in November. I've posted similar before and always received some great tips.

The part of the route I'm looking for advice for is between Northern Florida and Memphis. I have 2 nights to plan so somewhere South Western GA and then a central area in AL. Want to drive on the back roads, scenic roads as much as possible to see the real Georgia/Alabama and Mississippi so any road side attractions, places where we will get a real flavour of the "Deep South".

Taking the 22 North of Birmingham is okay for part of it, but ideally as little as possible.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2023, 12:15 PM

2,353 posts, read 2,312,173 times
Providence Canyon State Park Is a neat place to visit.

Old 08-30-2023, 01:14 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,828,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbm1 View Post
Just looking for some advice suggestions on a upcoming road trip in November. I've posted similar before and always received some great tips.

The part of the route I'm looking for advice for is between Northern Florida and Memphis. I have 2 nights to plan so somewhere South Western GA and then a central area in AL. Want to drive on the back roads, scenic roads as much as possible to see the real Georgia/Alabama and Mississippi so any road side attractions, places where we will get a real flavour of the "Deep South".

Taking the 22 North of Birmingham is okay for part of it, but ideally as little as possible.

Thanks in advance.
There's a very small private island outside of Montgomery called Jackson Lake Island where you can feed goats (it was built as a set to Big Fish). I would look into it as a unique pitstop.

Other unique places:
  • Alabama State Capitol (I've made it a bucket list to take a picture of each one)
  • Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum (if you like motorcycles - look it up on Google Images)
  • Birmingham Museum of Art (very impressive for the city's size)
  • Drive Thru Museum/Museum of Wonder (just over the border from Columbus, Georgia)
  • Hank Williams' Death Car and Gravesite in Montgomery
  • Museum of Fond Memories in B'Ham
  • Sloss Furnaces National Historic Landmark (for Birmingham's industrial history)
  • Statue of Liberty Mini-Replica in Vestavia Hills (suburban B'Ham)
  • Vulcan Statue and Birmingham Skyline views

Old 08-30-2023, 09:06 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,712,632 times
Little White House in pine city. FDR had a house and hot spring there

Old 08-31-2023, 09:17 PM

580 posts, read 567,878 times
In Mississippi:

Charming, authentic coastal towns:
Ocean Springs and Bay St. Louis (USA Today's best coastal towns in the U.S.) and historic Pass Christian

Civil war historic towns:
Natchez - Most antebellum homes in the U.S. (mansions) (USA Today's best historic small town in U.S.)
Vicksburg - Large military park for civil war battle, filled with large state monuments

Historic towns:
Oxford - USA Today's best college town in U.S.
Laurel - Site of HGTV show "Home Town" with tree-lined streets and early 20th century homes built during timber era

Other small towns with pretty historic residential districts:
Brookhaven
Corinth
Columbus
Holly Springs
Port Gibson

Delta Blues/music museums - Cleveland (Grammy Museum), Indianola (BB King Museum), Clarksdale (Delta Blues Museum), Leland (Hwy 61 Museum), Meridian (the Max museum), Tupelo (boyhood home of Elvis)
Civil rights museum - Jackson

Natchez Trace Parkway - Mostly woodlands, some places to stop (e.g. cypress forest near Jackson), 50/55mph federal speed limit

As far as backroads, I'm not too sure there's what you are imagining. There are some pretty 2-lane state highways in terms of farms, hills, forests etc but it really depends on where you are in the state.

Old 08-31-2023, 09:28 PM

37,130 posts, read 41,330,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Little White House in pine city. FDR had a house and hot spring there
It's in Warm Springs.

https://www.exploregeorgia.org/warm-...-historic-site

Old 09-01-2023, 12:58 PM

16,715 posts, read 29,564,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbm1 View Post

Thanks in advance.

In Georgia:

Radium Springs in Albany
Providence Canyon
Whitewater Rafting/Rapids in Downtown Columbus
Pine Mountain Ridge and Valley
Sprewell Bluff
Warm Springs and the Little White House
FDR State Park
Plains, GA - Home of Jimmy Carter
Andersonville National Monument
Thomasville - Historic Downtown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.