Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2023, 10:14 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,957,807 times

Advertisements

Why Americans are consistently leaving water abundant areas for water distressed areas?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZAr3n3cYi0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2023, 10:17 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,403,235 times
Yea it seems that the places with the highest global warming risk are growing rapidly.

For example Miami building high rise towers by the beach despite always being warned of a sinking future.

Old 07-06-2023, 10:48 PM

8,505 posts, read 4,750,085 times
Winter plus post-industrial economies. That’s it in a nutshell.

People don’t really think about water and climate change and stuff either. For instance I’ve been wanting to go back out west water or not because it’s my happy place. I’m happy to not have a lawn in order to do so, and I’d wager so are plenty of others.

Old 07-07-2023, 07:51 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post

People don’t really think about water and climate change and stuff either. For instance I’ve been wanting to go back out west water or not because it’s my happy place. I’m happy to not have a lawn in order to do so, and I’d wager so are plenty of others.
There, I fixed it for you.

Old 07-07-2023, 09:41 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,957,807 times
Quote:

Even still, why would post industrial economies move to water stressed areas?

Old 07-07-2023, 10:23 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
The majority of people don't know where water comes from, beyond that it comes out of the wall when you turn the faucet handle. If they move to a new area and there are faucets in the new house, well then, there is water.

There are more people who don't know where water comes from than there are people who don't know where food comes from before it hits the supermarket.

And then there are people, for example in California, who don't know where electricity comes from and think it will always be there whenever the light switch is flipped to the on position.

Old 07-07-2023, 10:26 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Adding this: what you call "water stressed" areas don't have constant rain and they don't get a lot of snow. There are a lot of people who would prefer to not deal with rain and snow.

Old 07-07-2023, 10:59 AM

461 posts, read 351,912 times
Quote:

Winter yes. "Post industrial economies" is a bit of a worn out 80s stereotype at this point though. Pretty much all of these states are past the "post industrial economies" portion of their journeys. Save for smaller enclaves that aren't being invested in like Youngstown, or Flint. There are plenty of well paying jobs available in places like Detroit, Milwaukee, Cleveland (not even considering Chicago, or Grand Rapids) that are very economically relevant.

People don't want to live in gloom. The Great lakes are quite gloomy Nov-March(summers are fantastic though). That combined with a polarized political environment, and the perception of lower taxes is what's driving migration right now. The economic argument is largely farcical at this point.

I think quite a few folks have been desensitized to the climate/resource conversations over time and function on more of a "believe it when they see it" mentality. Clearly their perceived level of risk is low enough that they are happy to hop to greener pastures. Time will tell

Old 07-07-2023, 11:40 AM

6,811 posts, read 4,250,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landolakes90 View Post
Winter yes. "Post industrial economies" is a bit of a worn out 80s stereotype at this point though. Pretty much all of these states are past the "post industrial economies" portion of their journeys. Save for smaller enclaves that aren't being invested in like Youngstown, or Flint. There are plenty of well paying jobs available in places like Detroit, Milwaukee, Cleveland (not even considering Chicago, or Grand Rapids) that are very economically relevant.

People don't want to live in gloom. The Great lakes are quite gloomy Nov-March(summers are fantastic though). That combined with a polarized political environment, and the perception of lower taxes is what's driving migration right now. The economic argument is largely farcical at this point.

I think quite a few folks have been desensitized to the climate/resource conversations over time and function on more of a "believe it when they see it" mentality. Clearly their perceived level of risk is low enough that they are happy to hop to greener pastures. Time will tell

I think the post-industrial element is very important though. Heavy industrial clusters formed around bodies of water like the Great Lakes and the Mississippi/Missouri and Ohio river systems because availability of large quantities of water was one of the main requirements when choosing a place to build a plant. Services and new technologies don't have this requirement, so job creation is no longer tied to water availability at industrial quantities.

In current day America water for most people is something to take a shower with or flush the toilet, not to operate a steel company. That has changed the equation quite a bit in terms of where Americans can and will live.

Old 07-07-2023, 02:34 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,360,306 times
Arizona and Florida are more at risk than Texas. Texas has a history, like California, of building reservoirs. Also unlike Florida or Arizona, Texas is a humungous area to try to lump together regarding weather risk; Coastal Texas get's decent/good rainfall but the # of hurricanes/tropical storms are not as much as states to its east get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.