Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2023, 05:17 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughboy1918 View Post
The Midwest by every respect, does completely reflect the nation, it has always been recognised as the bedrock for ‘America’, and always will be. Places like the southwest with its rocky deserts, Hawaii being a Polynesian paradise, California being the world’s entertainment capital and New York City being the quintessential global melting pot are all anomalies to the average American who lives a boring life beneath a blue suburban sky, and that’s what the Midwest represents. “America” in the popular imagination is not somewhere you start, it’s where you start over. Demographics are just a single aspect, you have to include EVERY other one as well, from the culture, linguistics, history, politics, climate, architecture and population density.
That's the idea people are talking about but I wouldn't say it represents America as a whole. And to be honest, the midwest is probably the last major region people around the world think of when they think of the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2023, 05:27 PM

16,078 posts, read 10,738,506 times
Quote:
By 'Middle America' I don't mean the perfect, all-white, everybody has a smile on their face version (which never existed in the first place). Just somewhere that is perfectly in line with typical American patterns.
Patterns which are what you say they are. We get it.
The “average American who lives a boring life beneath a blue suburban sky” is how you define it and make the claim that “that’s what the Midwest represents”. Maybe study up a little and get back to us later. I think you might have a hard time finding a consensus on what embodies the quintessential “Middle American” town. Just about every mass-market publication in the US puts out a yearly list of the “best” cities or towns. There is practically an industry built up around it. Everyone has their own ideas.

Old 06-03-2023, 07:29 PM

372 posts, read 203,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
That's the idea people are talking about but I wouldn't say it represents America as a whole. And to be honest, the midwest is probably the last major region people around the world think of when they think of the US.
I don't think people "around the world" know our regions. They might have heard of the term "Midwest" more often than "Intermountain West", though, I'm guessing. But, honestly, they've probably never heard of either. They might know of the Rocky Mountains, but probably don't know what states they're in. Kind of like most of us in the US know of the Alps, but do we know which 6 countries they're in? Didn't think so. Let's not kid ourselves.

Old 06-03-2023, 11:37 PM

678 posts, read 410,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Patterns which are what you say they are. We get it.
The “average American who lives a boring life beneath a blue suburban sky” is how you define it and make the claim that “that’s what the Midwest represents”. Maybe study up a little and get back to us later. I think you might have a hard time finding a consensus on what embodies the quintessential “Middle American” town. Just about every mass-market publication in the US puts out a yearly list of the “best” cities or towns. There is practically an industry built up around it. Everyone has their own ideas.
I know the Midwest is far more varied than people give it credit for. I was just paraphrasing to rrampage whom I felt was kind of going round in circles or just not understanding what I meant. But anyway, while I personally think Independence, Missouri is the best example of America in a single town/suburb if for example, it was the only one in the country, I never said other places weren't representative either. In fact, there's quite a few towns I think perfectly match the national average, these being some of them;

-Hamilton, Ohio
-Belleville, Illinois
-St. Charles, Missouri
-Middletown, Ohio
-Edwardsville, Illinois
-Springfield, Ohio
-Kansas City, Kansas

If you wanted to be a bit more broad, and go by counties, these would, in my view, be the most American.

-Jackson County, Missouri
-Butler County, Ohio
-Madison County, Illinois
-St. Charles County, Missouri
-Johnson County, Kansas
-Montgomery County, Ohio
-Stark County, Ohio

Last edited by Doughboy1918; 06-03-2023 at 11:50 PM..

Old 06-04-2023, 03:53 AM

374 posts, read 257,891 times
Quote:
The Midwest by every respect, does completely reflect the nation, it has always been recognised as the bedrock for ‘America’, and always will be. Places like the southwest with its rocky deserts, Hawaii being a Polynesian paradise, California being the world’s entertainment capital and New York City being the quintessential global melting pot are all anomalies to the average American who lives a boring life beneath a blue suburban sky, and that’s what the Midwest represents. “America” in the popular imagination is not somewhere you start, it’s where you start over. Demographics are just a single aspect, you have to include EVERY other one as well, from the culture, linguistics, history, politics, climate, architecture and population density.

No, that's not reality. Look at the nation's demographics, culture, climate, linguistics, architecture and political trends. Those are all a reflection of America.

Did you not see the where the majority of people live? The majority of people live in urban areas. Did you see how the majority of people vote? That's something you just can't miss with this. And the demographics don't lie.

Old 06-04-2023, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrampage View Post
Did you not see the where the majority of people live? The majority of people live in urban areas. That's something you just can't miss with this. The demographics don't lie.
Yes. I’ve argued this all along, most Americans, since the end of WWII have lived in major urban/metropolitan areas (Independence is part of such area), but in metro areas of a population approximately between 2 to 4 million, not 9 million like the Chicago area, which we discussed before. Also, by suburban I am referring to how most Americans live in houses, which evokes suburbanism, if that makes any sense.

Old 06-04-2023, 04:14 AM

374 posts, read 257,891 times
Quote:
Yes. I’ve argued this all along, most Americans, since the end of WWII have lived in major urban/metropolitan areas (Independence is part of such area), but in metro areas of a population approximately between 2 to 4 million, not 9 million like the Chicago area, which we discussed before. Also, by suburban I am referring to how most Americans live in houses, which evokes suburbanism, if that makes any sense.

I see what you mean, but that doesn't change anything. The demographics are the demographics. The majority of people are the majority of people, etc.

Old 06-04-2023, 07:59 AM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
What's so unusual about having once been a Mormon stronghold whose followers were later evicted, when this was happening all over the Midwest at the same time? Also, what's abnormal about the Truman library? You never expanded on that.
The Mormons at that time had not had any kind of real diaspora if you will. They effectively moved as a group from area to area before they got to Nauvoo. Small groups splintered off along the way. I'd say Independence, MO is unique in that it played a major role in the history of the Latter Day Saint Movement and still has that legacy.

Whether that is really germane to your point is debatable. But other than Palmyra, NY, Kirtland, Ohio, and Nauvoo, Ill. No other place east of the Rockies is as significant to Latter Day Saint history as is Independence.

As to your premise. I am close to that part of the country. I say if you are going to pick a place, why not pick Independence, MO. As you admitted, there are plenty of other candidates.

Old 06-04-2023, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Whether that is really germane to your point is debatable. But other than Palmyra, NY, Kirtland, Ohio, and Nauvoo, Ill. No other place east of the Rockies is as significant to Latter Day Saint history as is Independence.
Wasn't Council Bluffs, Iowa also very signifcant?

Old 06-04-2023, 06:16 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicala View Post
I don't think people "around the world" know our regions. They might have heard of the term "Midwest" more often than "Intermountain West", though, I'm guessing. But, honestly, they've probably never heard of either. They might know of the Rocky Mountains, but probably don't know what states they're in. Kind of like most of us in the US know of the Alps, but do we know which 6 countries they're in? Didn't think so. Let's not kid ourselves.
People know about the south, northeast, and west coast. They might not think of them as regions but each have more world famous stereotypes and media representation than the midwest (in my opinion).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.