Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2023, 03:26 PM

372 posts, read 203,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
First of all, "Middle America" isn't a place, it's a concept.

Secondly, the Midwest has ~70 million people and several of the largest air hubs in the US. "Flyover country" is more accurately the interior West.
I've lived in the Midwest my entire life....I'm familiar with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2023, 11:49 PM

374 posts, read 257,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
First of all, "Middle America" isn't a place, it's a concept.

Secondly, the Midwest has ~70 million people and several of the largest air hubs in the US. "Flyover country" is more accurately the interior West.

I agree that "Middle America" has been highly conceptualized. That's a problem in itself.

Some people have this idealized version of "Middle America" that has little to do with reality. It's very hard to have a discussion with someone who can not acknowledge their views are based more on a concept than logic.

Old 06-01-2023, 06:55 AM

678 posts, read 409,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I like Independence and have been there a few times. Being near the geographic center is a footnote at best. Its national history is largely limited to the period after 1820 and westward expansion, then the Mormon war, the Civil War, and Harry Truman. It is old enough to be a quaint novelty compared to modern suburbs -- but it has modern development, malls, sprawl -- typical Americana of the present age. It is the county seat. It doesn't have a recognizable college or university campus to speak of. Highschool campuses are larger than Graceland University's one building. Truman Presidential Library is impressive but not typical or "the quintessence of middle America". It has a curious Mormon history. Back in 1831, Mormon leader/founder Joseph Smith declared that God informed him that Independence was where the righteous would gather to greet the Second Coming of Jesus Christ. Thus, the Community of Christ/RLDS and other LDS/Mormon offshoots have headquarters or a presence in Independence. Smith claimed Independence as the original location of the Garden of Eden and that Adam and Eve once lived nearby in Daviess County. The Mormon War of 1838 erupted in Jackson County and prompted Missouri Governor Boggs to issue an extermination order against the Mormons (leave or be killed). They resettled temporarily in Nauvoo, Illinois. That history, plus the Truman library, sets it quite apart from the nation at large. Independence is a very pleasant place, by my recollection, and a nice place to visit. It is closer to Kauffman and Arrowhead stadiums than most of Kansas City so convenient to major sports venues.
What's so unusual about having once been a Mormon stronghold whose followers were later evicted, when this was happening all over the Midwest at the same time? Also, what's abnormal about the Truman library? You never expanded on that.

Old 06-01-2023, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrampage View Post
I agree that "Middle America" has been highly conceptualized. That's a problem in itself.

Some people have this idealized version of "Middle America" that has little to do with reality. It's very hard to have a discussion with someone who can not acknowledge their views are based more on a concept than logic.
By 'Middle America' I don't mean the perfect, all-white, everybody has a smile on their face version (which never existed in the first place). Just somewhere that is perfectly in line with typical American patterns.

Old 06-01-2023, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
In general, the Kansas City region has sizable influences from every direction and doesn’t comfortably fit into any one region, but it’s basically midwestern.
I can see the argument for the OP there.
Absolutely. St. Louis and Cincinnati regions are two other good examples as well. But even still, Kansas City is probably still the best example though.

Old 06-02-2023, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughboy1918 View Post
By 'Middle America' I don't mean the perfect, all-white, everybody has a smile on their face version (which never existed in the first place). Just somewhere that is perfectly in line with typical American patterns.

And I find that the examples given that are said to represent "Middle America", don't really represent Middle America. Joliet, IL is a good example though. It does represent the nation's demographics. But for some, it seems to be poor examples like Butler County, Ohio.

Last edited by rrampage; 06-02-2023 at 08:24 AM..

Old 06-02-2023, 02:02 PM

Quote:
And I find that the examples given that are said to represent "Middle America", don't really represent Middle America. Joliet, IL is a good example though. It does represent the nation's demographics. But for some, it seems to be poor examples like Butler County, Ohio.
I still don't see why Butler County, Ohio is not a good example based on the numerous examples I gave, but I rest my case on that. Joliet, Illinois is a bit too liberal and located in a region that is far too dense and cosmopolitan. The local accent like we discussed once, is distinct to most Americans, with the firm "A" vowel. It's history is also different from the rest of Middle America. While most Americans have ancestry tracing back to a multitude of different European nations, Joliet was mostly settled by Orthodox and Catholic migrants from Southern/Eastern Europe who were attracted to the blue-collar industry of the Great Lakes area.

Old 06-03-2023, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicala View Post
I've lived in the Midwest my entire life....I'm familiar with it.
Where in the Midwest did you grow up just out of curiosity?

Old 06-03-2023, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughboy1918 View Post
I still don't see why Butler County, Ohio is not a good example based on the numerous examples I gave, but I rest my case on that. Joliet, Illinois is a bit too liberal and located in a region that is far too dense and cosmopolitan. The local accent like we discussed once, is distinct to most Americans, with the firm "A" vowel. It's history is also different from the rest of Middle America. While most Americans have ancestry tracing back to a multitude of different European nations, Joliet was mostly settled by Orthodox and Catholic migrants from Southern/Eastern Europe who were attracted to the blue-collar industry of the Great Lakes area.

But you have to understand how the nation, as a whole, is. A good example in the Midwest reflects the nation's demographics/political trends, etc. The Midwest is one region of the country. It does not carry the weight of some other areas of the country. These are just the facts.

Old 06-03-2023, 09:33 AM

Quote:
But you have to understand how the nation, as a whole, is. A good example in the Midwest reflects the nation's demographics/political trends, etc. The Midwest is one region of the country. It does not carry the weight of some other areas of the country. These are just the facts.
The Midwest by every respect, does completely reflect the nation, it has always been recognised as the bedrock for ‘America’, and always will be. Places like the southwest with its rocky deserts, Hawaii being a Polynesian paradise, California being the world’s entertainment capital and New York City being the quintessential global melting pot are all anomalies to the average American who lives a boring life beneath a blue suburban sky, and that’s what the Midwest represents. “America” in the popular imagination is not somewhere you start, it’s where you start over. Demographics are just a single aspect, you have to include EVERY other one as well, from the culture, linguistics, history, politics, climate, architecture and population density.

Last edited by Doughboy1918; 06-03-2023 at 09:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.