Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you consider Iowa "Upper Midwest" or "Lower Midwest"?
Upper Midwest 52 65.00%
Lower Midwest 22 27.50%
Other (please explain in post) 6 7.50%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2023, 06:18 AM

1,354 posts, read 899,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I'd say Lower. Minnesota is Upper Midwest (except maybe the area just south and north of I 90. Culturally Iowa seems so different from Minnesota. It's hard to explain but things like food and accent are prime examples.
The northern third of Iowa is more like rural Minnesota and the Dakotas than it is central and southern Iowa.
Northeastern Iowa is basically an extension of Wisconsin.

North of Highway 20, I'd say Iowa's Upper Midwest and south of that it's Lower Midwest. Des Moines is more like Kansas City than it is like Minneapolis. Rural southern Iowa and northern Missouri are indistinguishable. Western Iowa and Nebraska are very similar, as are eastern Iowa and western Illinois.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2023, 06:48 AM

372 posts, read 204,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
The northern third of Iowa is more like rural Minnesota and the Dakotas than it is central and southern Iowa.

North of Highway 20, I'd say Iowa's Upper Midwest and south of that it's Lower Midwest. Des Moines is more like Kansas City than it is like Minneapolis. Rural southern Iowa and northern Missouri are indistinguishable. Western Iowa and Nebraska are very similar, as are eastern Iowa and western Illinois.
I agree with this. Anyone who could say Iowa is unequivocally with the "Upper Midwest", certainly hasn't been to Fort Madison, IA. I think Chicago is a part of "upper", but outside of that, IL is not. The only good way to distinguish areas of the Midwest, is the Midwest and the Great Lakes states. As far as GL states, Indiana shouldn't really be included. IL, outside of Chicago, and IN, are both more aligned with the rest of the Midwest.

Old 01-25-2023, 09:23 AM

12,858 posts, read 9,595,244 times
Other. Middle midwest.

Old 01-25-2023, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Other. Middle midwest.

Yes! There definitely is such a place.

Old 01-25-2023, 01:36 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,965,066 times
Quote:

Certainly much of northern Iowa is like southern Minnesota but to me the rest of Minnesota seems different. I had forgotten about the Driftless Area, and yes, that is pretty distinctive. It's funny you mention western Iowa and eastern Nebraska being so similar. So many people I know in Iowa think all of Nebraska looks like the western third. I think if I were to describe the Upper Midwest I'd say it's North Dakota east of the 100th meridian, all of Minnesota, and Michigan, probably most of Wisconsin (I haven't spent enough time there for an opinion), and the Great Lakes regions of Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio. The rest would be lower. Iowa is definitely the quintessential Midwestern state in my opinion. It's the only one that borders only Midwestern states (unless you count Missouri as Southern).

Old 01-25-2023, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Certainly much of northern Iowa is like southern Minnesota but to me the rest of Minnesota seems different. I had forgotten about the Driftless Area, and yes, that is pretty distinctive. It's funny you mention western Iowa and eastern Nebraska being so similar. So many people I know in Iowa think all of Nebraska looks like the western third. I think if I were to describe the Upper Midwest I'd say it's all of North Dakota, Minnesota, and Michigan, probably most of Wisconsin (I haven't spent enough time there for an opinion), and the Great Lakes regions of Illinois, Indiana, or Ohio. The rest would be lower. Iowa is definitely the quintessential Midwestern state in my opinion. It's the only one that borders only Midwestern states (unless you count Missouri as Southern).
Wisconsin has an entire eastern border of Lake Michigan, and has part of Lake Superior at the north end. Michigan and Wisconsin have the most Great Lakes shoreline, so Wisconsin is definitely a Great Lakes state.

Old 01-25-2023, 04:28 PM

613 posts, read 329,095 times
Mix of both but I choose Upper Midwestern

Old 01-25-2023, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicala View Post
Wisconsin has an entire eastern border of Lake Michigan, and has part of Lake Superior at the north end. Michigan and Wisconsin have the most Great Lakes shoreline, so Wisconsin is definitely a Great Lakes state.
I knew it had a large shoreline, I just meant to say I wasn't sure if all of it was Upper Midwest.

Old 01-26-2023, 09:56 AM

1,354 posts, read 899,967 times
Quote:
Certainly much of northern Iowa is like southern Minnesota but to me the rest of Minnesota seems different. I had forgotten about the Driftless Area, and yes, that is pretty distinctive. It's funny you mention western Iowa and eastern Nebraska being so similar. So many people I know in Iowa think all of Nebraska looks like the western third. I think if I were to describe the Upper Midwest I'd say it's North Dakota east of the 100th meridian, all of Minnesota, and Michigan, probably most of Wisconsin (I haven't spent enough time there for an opinion), and the Great Lakes regions of Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio. The rest would be lower. Iowa is definitely the quintessential Midwestern state in my opinion. It's the only one that borders only Midwestern states (unless you count Missouri as Southern).
Me too and I've always thought that people who had that belief were silly. On I-80, Nebraska doesn't look any different from Iowa until somewhere west of Kearney.

And when I say "rural Minnesota" I kind of misspoke. Northern Iowa is similar to southern Minnesota west of the Driftless Area and up through the Red River Valley - the prairie part of Minnesota. Much of rural Minnesota is more woods and lakes with logging, mining, and tourism being big industries. That part of Minnesota is nothing like Iowa.

Old 01-26-2023, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Me too and I've always thought that people who had that belief were silly. On I-80, Nebraska doesn't look any different from Iowa until somewhere west of Kearney.

And when I say "rural Minnesota" I kind of misspoke. Northern Iowa is similar to southern Minnesota west of the Driftless Area and up through the Red River Valley - the prairie part of Minnesota. Much of rural Minnesota is more woods and lakes with logging, mining, and tourism being big industries. That part of Minnesota is nothing like Iowa.
The people who say that are obviously people who never leave Iowa. The truth is if you blindfolded someone and dropped them in a cornfield they wouldn't be able to tell one state from another.

I agree with your statement about Minnesota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.