Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 01:02 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,720,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
I don't know if it qualifies as "really cold", but Colorado doesn't really have things like that.
I went to college in Colorado and worked there just before I moved to Denmark. I didn't think of it as cold. In the winter it was mostly sunny and dry. It's not just the temperature. The coldest place I have been was in the USN in the 60s up in the North Atlantic in January off Norway with high winds, high seas, snow and hail. The ship I was on was built at the end of WWII built for the Pacific War.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2019, 05:51 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,753,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
The problem with the really cold places is the mosquitoes, black flies and other biting insects in the summer. Do they have biting insects at the top of Mt. Washington? I know they have black flies in the nearby valleys. I've experienced them.

Otherwise, I don't mind cold places...like Park Rapids, MN...in the winter.
The insects are even worse in the warm southeast.
Bigger variety. Freakier. Stay around much longer. Just as thick.

Old 05-19-2019, 05:58 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,753,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
No geographic limits for my cold tolerance, but I generally don't prefer the Plains region due to the wind issues there..
I'm kinda the same.
I love the Dakotas, but I'm not so sure about that wind. If the opportunity came up though, I'd live there. Ar least for a while.
I could live in any temperature outside of the poles, but ideally, places like Wisconsin, Michigan, or Utah would be most appealing.

Old 05-20-2019, 07:01 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,861,647 times
I like very warm weather so I would say the coolest climate I could deal with is something like Lawton, Oklahoma; Las Cruces, New Mexico; Lubbock, Texas; Virginia Beach, VA (that would be the absolute coolest winter I could contend with now).

I will say some of the coldest areas have some of the highest quality of life and ease of living indicators though.

I prefer winter-time high temperatures in the 60s and 70s. But the cities I mentioned above tend to have average highs in the 50s in the winter which is too cool, but bearable for me.

San Antonio and Phoenix have a good winter IMHO but for a good opportunity I would relocate somewhere that had high temperatures in the 50s in the winter (North and West Texas, Much of New Mexico, Southern Oklahoma, Southern Middle-Atlantic region etc.)

I used to not mind cold weather until I was 30 years old, now I really like the heat

Old 05-21-2019, 06:13 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
I don't like long icy winters at all, so I'd say the coldest place I'd CHOOSE to live in would be Virginia or Tennessee - those mountains get as cold as I'm willing to put up with voluntarily.

That being said, if life situations made it necessary to move to a colder part of the country, I could and would do it if necessary, and I'd be happy wherever I was. But I'd still prefer shorter and less icy winters.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:16 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,959,050 times
Chicago, but I wouldn’t live anywhere as cold as Chicago that wasn’t Chicago. I’m always surprised when people on C-D fawn over Minneapolis, as if it’s anything more than a pretty good city with a horrible climate. I think they’re telling on themselves.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:25 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,176,722 times
I'm good anywhere that's cold. As long as there's hockey to get through the frozen season.

I've lived in Northern OH, Montana, Michigan's U.P., and now Wisconsin. The cold doesn't bother me.

Now finding my tolerance for heat is another matter. I don't do heat very well.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:58 AM

17,788 posts, read 13,677,875 times
I think I might enjoy experiencing living anyplace for a while but I grew up in Oklahoma along the 36-30 parallel. That is roughly the northern border of North Carolina, Tennessee, Arkansas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Arizona, and splits California.

In general I think after my experience growing up, I'd have a tough time with winter above that line. Not necessarily because of the cold but the prolonged snow cover, ice and slush.

Old 05-21-2019, 11:30 AM

20,861 posts, read 9,527,489 times
Nome.

Old 05-21-2019, 12:10 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,251,445 times
It's not so much the climate in Alaska that bothers me, it's the extreme amount/lack of daylight in the summer and winter. Anchorage definitely has the "midnight sun" phenomenon going on (there's a couple of hours of "twilight" but it never gets completely dark for a few weeks), plus it has very short days during the winter, but the further north you venture, the more extreme it gets. Fairbanks would probably be too much for me to handle weather-wise too.

I think I can handle winter pretty much anywhere in the lower 48 though. Given a choice though, I prefer cold and relatively dry to moderately snowy winters (or at least winters where snow melts quickly, such as Denver) over "lake effect" snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.