Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2023, 02:30 PM

5,764 posts, read 11,373,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Anybody been to Rosenheim Germany, with thoughts to share?
Passed through and visited Rosenheim many times. It is known for the German ZDF network TV show Die Rosenheim Cops (somewhat humorous cop show) in this Bavarian small city, the gateway to the most scenic part of the Alps within Germany. Chiemsee is just a few kilometers east, and Berchtesgaden is about 1 hour southeast.

Anyone who served in the US Army in Germany prior to 1990 probably spent some time at the Army R&R resorts at Chiemsee and Berchtesgaden - I went to both of these places many times and Rosenheim was always along the way.

Better to visit this region in the off-season as it is packed with tourists in the peak summer months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2023, 03:08 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Anybody been to Rosenheim Germany, with thoughts to share?
Home to one of the best wood working related training centers.

Old 10-29-2023, 04:29 PM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
I am watching some German travel videos right now.

Would Rosenheim fall into the group of cities where English speakers are commonly available or not?

Last edited by NW Crow; 10-29-2023 at 04:48 PM..

Old 10-29-2023, 05:14 PM

6,798 posts, read 4,240,302 times
I think of Rosenheim as an exurb of Munich. I'd expect there to be far more English speakers than in a place like Chemnitz given the proximity to a tourist area like the Chiemsee and Chiemgauer Alps. It's kind of an odd juxtaposition though. This thread is like someone asking about Chicago then Milwaukee and finally "what about Boulder?"

Old 10-29-2023, 08:03 PM

Yeah I am jumping around German cities, trying to learn a little. I've never really focused on Germany for travel, short-term or more extended. But I am not going to start new threads for each place. I didnt originally intend to talk about other cities but it evolved into that. One loose thread seemed alright to me.

Leipzig is toward the upper end of my city size preference, though I could go higher with sufficient reason. Chemnitz came up in comparison. Rosenheim was raised mainly because of its location. Near Munich and the mountains at presumably a lower cost. A combination might be more interesting to me than all of time in one place. Too early to lock into one idea for a visit or base.

Already briefly looked at Gramisch-Partenkirchen and Konstanz. Might look at Freiburg.

Comments welcomed as offered.

Last edited by NW Crow; 10-29-2023 at 08:55 PM..

Old 10-29-2023, 10:12 PM

6,798 posts, read 4,240,302 times
Quote:
Yeah I am jumping around German cities, trying to learn a little. I've never really focused on Germany for travel, short-term or more extended. But I am not going to start new threads for each place. I didnt originally intend to talk about other cities but it evolved into that. One loose thread seemed alright to me.

Leipzig is toward the upper end of my city size preference, though I could go higher with sufficient reason. Chemnitz came up in comparison. Rosenheim was raised mainly because of its location. Near Munich and the mountains at presumably a lower cost. A combination might be more interesting to me than all of time in one place. Too early to lock into one idea for a visit or base.

Already briefly looked at Gramisch-Partenkirchen and Konstanz. Might look at Freiburg.

Garmisch-Partenkirchen is essentially a ski resort town. It has hosted the winter Olympics and is host to professional winter sport events every winter. Konstanz is on the shore of Germany's biggest lake and also attracts a fair number of visitors as a result. Both known for being picturesque, but I imagine you pay a price for that. Freiburg i known for its warm weather (by German standards) and its progressive population. It's one of the national strongholds of the Green Party. Close to the Black Forest and the Swiss and French borders.

FWIW my guess would be that of all the places you mentioned Chemnitz is the cheapest. But it's kind of a random place to go to. It's not immediately apparent why anyone would go out of their way to go there.

Old 10-30-2023, 06:37 AM

Quote:

Garmisch is a major tourist trap. Forget lower cost. Which Freiburg?

Old 10-30-2023, 10:25 AM

I don't expect to find cheap in Garmisch. Would expect short stays or day trips or possible camping nearby where available. Would look further at
Partenkirchen section or outside.

Rosenheim area should be better priced, if staying longer.

I meant Freiburg, Germany. Maybe instead of Leipzig.

Konstanz and Rosenheim might be main bases with excursions elsewhere. Not sure how much bigger city time I'd take along with country focused time. Looking at options in Germany and other countries. In Germany, these are probably the main options for me along with visits into Munich and perhaps a short visit to Berlin.

Last edited by NW Crow; 10-30-2023 at 10:54 AM..

Old 10-30-2023, 12:15 PM

Quote:
I don't expect to find cheap in Garmisch. Would expect short stays or day trips or possible camping nearby where available. Would look further at
Partenkirchen section or outside.

Rosenheim area should be better priced, if staying longer.

I meant Freiburg, Germany. Maybe instead of Leipzig.

Konstanz and Rosenheim might be main bases with excursions elsewhere. Not sure how much bigger city time I'd take along with country focused time. Looking at options in Germany and other countries. In Germany, these are probably the main options for me along with visits into Munich and perhaps a short visit to Berlin.
Garmisch-Partenkirchen is basically one town. More tourists than at Heathrow Airport.
Again which Freibung? There are several.

Old 10-30-2023, 02:41 PM

I mean Freiburg im Breisgau. If there is another Freiburg in Germany, name it and say why it has any significance.

I didn't mean Fribourg, Switzerland, which was already ruled out by saying Freiburg Germany.

Last edited by NW Crow; 10-30-2023 at 02:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe