Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 10:21 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,251,782 times

Advertisements

Leipzig: An art-vibe, just second to Berlin?

Why I'm asking this, is because Berlin is a cool city, with a ton of street art everywhere, which I love. I had a few conversations with Germans, and I had the impression that Berliners also have a respect for Leipzig, and seem to think of it as a smaller Berlin, and also as a city with art, and I'm assuming street art.

Have others been to Leipzig and got that impression? Were my sources a bit wrong in the way they described it? How did you find Leipzig? Is it worth visiting if one is thinking of it as a little Berlin, or would someone be greatly disappointed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 11:28 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,354,239 times
Never been there myself, but there doesn't seem to be a huge hype around the city amongst German-speaking folks. The city seems to be mildly popular amongst students, because it's one of the cheapest cities in Germany. Because of the students there seems to be a pretty decent bar scene. Comparing Leipzig with Berlin seems to be a bit far-fetched, though.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:18 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,843,650 times
been there... meh

have in mind germans will also tell you cologne is amazing, like amsterdam very free and so on and in reality is a sterile boring city with a huge cathedral and nothing extraordinary

Old 02-17-2015, 07:09 AM

646 posts, read 466,463 times
Leipzig has become pretty popular (especially among students) and rightfully so. Very nice city.

Most people from Leipzig reject the "little Berlin" phrase (a "title" that they did not invent themselves unlike the "Hypezig" phrase) and say that Leipzig is better than Berlin. You be the judge if that is true; certainly it is smaller yet there is a lot to do, and that appeals to some people.

I cannot comment on the art-vibe though, as I am not into art myself. I do know that you can visit the Grassi Museum etc. but how that compares to Berlin - no idea.

Edit: I seem to remember that a certain part of Leipzig is known for its little galleries and that many artists live there though I cannot remember what it is called.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:41 AM

1,772 posts, read 1,507,723 times
Baumwollspinnerei comes to my mind: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leipzi...mwollspinnerei

I know the city quite well for someone who has never lived there. The art-vibe is more limited to certain areas. Lindenau and Plagwitz are an interesting mix between artsy/alternative and working class people. Can't say however how it compares to Berlin, nightlife is probably not as advanced.

Many industrial buildings were converted to lofts and galleries, although some areas still feel very DDR like (Grünau) and there are still many unrenovated 19th century buildings left. So overall a fast changing and interesting city, many forests and lakes are there as well.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:59 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,315,339 times
There's a lot of articles about this. I wonder if it was just PR hype, or journos looking for something to write about.
In any case I hadn't thought of this before, so looks interesting to check out.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:19 PM

2 posts, read 1,575 times
Leipzig is definitely up and coming. It is smaller than Berlin, but a lot of young people are moving there. Housing is still way more affordable than in Berlin and than most other German cities, and there is vibrant art and cultural scene. It's definitely worth a visit, I am a fan.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:00 PM

786 posts, read 812,782 times
It's a great city that has been known as the 'little Paris'. And it seems to be particularly popular among German people – say, for holidaying or vacationing. However, though 'up and coming' still, it may have lost the momentum that it gained on re-unification. For instance, the formerly immaculate Leipzig Haupbahnhof is no longer as splendid as it used to be, for it is become some neglected, as have some peripheral parts of the city such as Leutzsch. And though some store's been set by its 'artists', most of which may not be home-grown, their work pales into insignificance in comparison with the frozen poëtry of the Commerzbank's façade in the Thomaskirchhof. However, the girls are so well turned-out that there's an old German saw that a man must come to Leipzig so as to find a pleasing woman. And Angela Merkel does much entertaining at the Rathaus there – for example, the Clintons know it well. Though less-affordable than it's taken to be, it is still one of the finest cities in Germany, if not Europe

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=co...w=1745&bih=861

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=al...athaus+leipzig

Old 04-12-2015, 12:13 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,368,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
been there... meh

have in mind germans will also tell you cologne is amazing, like amsterdam very free and so on and in reality is a sterile boring city with a huge cathedral and nothing extraordinary
I think you're both right.

Cologne is an amazing city, and very free. It's one of the most liberal towns in Germany, and Rhinelanders are the most free-wheeling Germans. It's also a huge university town, and known for nightlife. Very good food and beer too, and the #2 German art center after Berlin. It's also a Roman town, with lots of interesting Roman history.

But, you're also right that Cologne is ugly and kind of sterile, and there are few attractions outside of the cathedral. The city was cheaply rebuilt after WW2. But all major German cities are kind of ugly and sterile. If you think Cologne is ugly, please don't visit Essen or Leverkusen or Leipzig. You will go blind.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:20 PM

786 posts, read 812,782 times
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder: and in mine, the cathedral of Cologne, is by few-means pleasing. For me, it's as over-hyped as that monstrosity in Coventry. And though it's easy to disparage Essen, I'd say that that city, though by no-means matching Leipzig, is way ahead of Cologne. Let Lincoln be the yardstick!

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=li...w=1745&bih=861
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe